ADVERTISEMENT

Cal 2nd longest drought without SEC championship

ukjenning44

Junior
Nov 21, 2022
Since TN wrapped up the SEC regular season Championship KY is currently in the 2nd longest drought between SEC Reguar season Championships.
Cal is tied with the end of the Tubby beginning of BCG era.
The longest drought came during the probation years.

Regular season SEC champs began in the 1932-33 season.

Cal keeps setting milestones!

Team looks good. But let's not act like a 5 game win streak cures all. No SEC regular season title, longest 1 seed drought ever, 3 straight losses at Rupp, loss to UNCW. Hang the banners or get out, Cal. We better deliver in March. Been too long.

Since TN wrapped up the SEC regular season Championship KY is currently in the 2nd longest drought between SEC Reguar season Championships.

Win the SECT and I could care less about the regular season. Don’t win it and yes this is another ding.

Reactions: RunninRichie

Tell me you're one of those "fans" that are happy when UK loses without telling us you're one of those "fans".

If the University of Kentucky is bigger than Cal (and it is), why do you seem to make everything about Cal?

Facts hurt some peoples feelings I suppose.
We've won 7 of our last 8 games, only loss a buzzer beater on the road to LSU. We are trending up with some of the best road wins we've had in a decade this year. We are playing as good of basketball as late as any team and have a legitimate shot to make a deep run and or cut down the nets. Tons of work to be done but this is a time to enjoy our team.

I already know your response to this.
1) Cals still the coach
2) Our defense
3) UNCW, Florida, Texas A&M, Gonzaga etc
Same song and dance every chance you get. In recent years there has been plenty of reasons to be down about our program. The current time isn't one of those and anyone being negative at this point is simple either a troll or insufferable.

When are you and the UT fans having your ring ceremony and banner unveiling for the regular season?

Dude quit that crap. You don’t have to defend Calipari every single second, especially when he’s not producing to our standard. That’s your only damn job as a UK fan, to voice pleasure or pain at what is happening to the program. A fans job is to help maintain standards and avoid apathy. Calipari has not done his job lately at all, and nobody needs to coddle losing coaches at UK.

You can support Calipari still being at UK with logic, but don’t help undermine the program to cover for his shortcomings on the scoreboard.

He needs to win our conference titles. It adds to our program prestige and keeps us at the top. We can lose it, need to remember that.

OP isn't a UK fan that's obvious.
But in the post game presser Saturday. Cal said the only tournament he cares about is the NCAAT when asked a question about the SECT and UK's seeding.
Now maybe it's coach speak maybe it isn't. But it's a bad look to the fan base who save up plan vacations around the SECT.
If he doesn't care about it then he just needs to keep his mouth shut to the media.
He could have gave a simple answer like. Yes getting a bye to Friday is big for us. This tournament is loaded. We are going to do our best to win it but it's not going to be easy. Something like that and moved onto the next question. But he can't help himself he has to take a back handed shot at the fans

We've won 7 of our last 8 games, only loss a buzzer beater on the road to LSU. We are trending up with some of the best road wins we've had in a decade this year. We are playing as good of basketball as late as any team and have a legitimate shot to make a deep run and or cut down the nets. Tons of work to be done but this is a time to enjoy our team.

I already know your response to this.
1) Cals still the coach
2) Our defense
3) UNCW, Florida, Texas A&M, Gonzaga etc
Same song and dance every chance you get. In recent years there has been plenty of reasons to be down about our program. The current time isn't one of those and anyone being negative at this point is simple either a troll or insufferable.
We are fun to watch and are playing our best basketball.

Best of all the players have proven they can win in spite of Cal.

Reactions: KFuqua
OP isn't a UK fan that's obvious.
But in the post game presser Saturday. Cal said the only tournament he cares about is the NCAAT when asked a question about the SECT and UK's seeding.
Now maybe it's coach speak maybe it isn't. But it's a bad look to the fan base who save up plan vacations around the SECT.
If he doesn't care about it then he just needs to keep his mouth shut to the media.
He could have gave a simple answer like. Yes getting a bye to Friday is big for us. This tournament is loaded. We are going to do our best to win it but it's not going to be easy. Something like that and moved onto the next question. But he can't help himself he has to take a back handed shot at the fans

Totally agree with the things about Calipari. I was going to take my sons down to Nashville if we made the title game, still might, but this is why I won’t go for the weekend and it’s sickening because I’d like my kids to see winning basketball at some point. And it takes all of the fun out of it.

Reed Sheppard might not make a final four. We need to get a championship in some way out of his season. He wasted him for much of the year trying to get Edwards to learn to walk and Wagner to learn to make a layup. Reed could have been torching all year, he deferred for the team you can tell that now imo.

Which is fine, but work to win that conference tournament. Calipari just doesn’t seem to get that at Kentucky we WANT IT ALL. I don’t care if it’s coach speak and I shouldn’t have to wonder. This is why, even though I do love this team and many of our players under him, I am ready to move on. Calipari is too hard to take and that’s especially true if he’s not winning.

This ignore feature is actually pretty cool. I've been on here for over 20 years and just thought I'd give it a try.

We are fun to watch and are playing our best basketball.

Best of all the players have proven they can win in spite of Cal.
You mean the players that love Cal? The ones who came here to play for Cal? Cal is far from perfect and has done moronic things but Cal is who got the players here. Look at Tubbys and BCGs recruits, players don't just come here to play for any coach. Cal recruited them here and whether we agree with his lineups, his out of bounds plays or late game decision making the players will give Cal credit. They didn't make it to this point in spite of Cal as much as your hatred for him wants you to believe. Not one player on this years team would talk bad about Cal. We all know he isn't a great in game coach, but regardless he is a HOF coach and an excellent mentor and recruiter. There are so many players who will tell you their success is because of what he taught them and lessons learned. As much as I've disagreed with Cals decision making in recent years im not too blind to see.

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
This team is looking really good, it's full of selfless guys who are really fun to watch, we just beat a potential 1 seed on the road and did it fairly easily, we're about to get to the best few weeks of the year, and yet you still concentrate on the negative?

A few thought that losing streak was the nail in the coffin for Calipari and they are angry that they have to seethe for at least another year. It’s hilarious watching them fumble and stumble.

Look at Tubbys and BCGs recruits,
And Cal is currently in a tie for 2nd with them for droughts between SEC championships and has benefited from 10 times the talent.
We can get Cal results for much less money.

You mean the players that love Cal? The ones who came here to play for Cal? Cal is far from perfect and has done moronic things but Cal is who got the players here. Look at Tubbys and BCGs recruits, players don't just come here to play for any coach. Cal recruited them here and whether we agree with his lineups, his out of bounds plays or late game decision making the players will give Cal credit. They didn't make it to this point in spite of Cal as much as your hatred for him wants you to believe. Not one player on this years team would talk bad about Cal. We all know he isn't a great in game coach, but regardless he is a HOF coach and an excellent mentor and recruiter. There are so many players who will tell you their success is because of what he taught them and lessons learned. As much as I've disagreed with Cals decision making in recent years im not too blind to see.

I have a friend from Philly that has texted me for years making fun of Calipari. He’s a huge 76er fan. He was blown away by Maxey’s humbleness and readiness for the league and now takes it all back and wants more Calipari-coached players. LoL

I have a friend from Philly that has texted me for years making fun of Calipari. He’s a huge 76er fan. He was blown away by Maxey’s humbleness and readiness for the league and now takes it all back and wants more Calipari-coached players. LoL
If only we could hang banners for players in the NBA?

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
I get OP’s frustration, and I understand why some are seriously ready for Cal to move on. I’ve had my moments. But I don’t understand how positively consumed are with it. Right now I’m concentrating on cheering on this specific team - which I absolutely love by the way!
I’m cheering on this team and the players.
Our best player is homegrown and I really want to see him win.

I have zero faith in Cal and know he’s going to mess a great opportunity up.

I cant understand why ppl hate on the OP. what he says it true, cal will fvck this up. he fvcked up the wall team by not going to Cousins while pumping 3 all day, the 15 team and the last four years. St peters, Kansas St etc... Facts are the only negative here. I want #9 so bad i can taste it. but facts are facts and cal WILL fvck this up.... just wait and see.

For anyone wondering we won the SEC 4 years ago. 1986-1995 was a drought between regular season SEC titles , and even Pitino only won it 2 times while at UK. This is legitimately a terrible post complaining about a nothing stat just to be a troll.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
For anyone wondering we won the SEC 4 years ago. 1986-1995 was a drought between regular season SEC titles , and even Pitino only won it 2 times while at UK. This is legitimately a terrible post complaining about a nothing stat just to be a troll.
Pitino came during the probation years. His second season at UK we had the best conference record but could not claim the title because of probation.

I said in my post this drought is tied for 2nd behind the probation years.
If Cal is here next season he will take over sole possession of 2nd longest drought.
If he coaches until his contract is up he will claim the longest drought.

Cal stopped being Cal after 2015 Wisconsin right? We've won the regular season conference more than anyone since then. Look it up. Team-wise. The conference is one of the best now, and we still have won this point of the season more than anyone, and this is with the embarrassing seasons we've had recently

Reactions: MissingWCC
And Cal is currently in a tie for 2nd with them for droughts between SEC championships and has benefited from 10 times the talent.
We can get Cal results for much less money.
Damn. It's almost like the sec isn't a laughing stock like it used to be. Like a conference full of athletes caught up finally. Like we aren't still in play for a number 2 seed with 8 losses. Teams don't end with 2 to 3 losses anymore. I'd rather win in the NCAAT than the regular season SEC. Winning it almost 50 times was cool and all, but final 4s and championships are the metrics we go by right? Or are we Kansas? They have won the conference for 20 years straight, but only battle Duke for most first round losses, only have what 4 now? Maybe we have flaws like everyone else who has ever played, and our worst is better than every other programs best

Go big blue 💙💙💙

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT