ADVERTISEMENT

Cade Cunningham

Cats192

All-American
Apr 22, 2011
Dude’s so good, he’s going to get OK State in the tourney even though they aren’t eligible.

Sure glad we didn’t hire his brother.

Reactions: Fox2monk
We would’ve been a lot better with Cade. Definitely not a losing record. Reason being Cal wouldn’t of played Devin at the point for 35+ min a game. Floor would’ve been bubble team, ceiling probably SS or NIT champions depending which side of the bubble we ended on.

cade would have been here if it wasn’t for his brother,but if it was me i would tried and hire his brother,maybe a little but the heck with it.

Memphis hired penny to get wiseman. Carolina hired Psycho T mom back in the day. Sucks but legal I guess
It’s absolutely legal. People get jobs all of the time based on their connections and people they know, including family. Those that act like this is some sort of egregious or shady act are flat out stupid and hypocrites. If a team wants to spend one of their limited assistant positions on a player’s brother...then let them. It’s their prerogative. Who cares. There is nothing amateur about college athletics, we all know this. Currently it’s the only legit way though a players family can actually get paid by the school who will make millions off of them. Make no mistake OSU will get millions from making the tourney and having Cade on their team this year. Good for him for getting his family some compensation. Don’t blame or criticize him one bit.

It’s absolutely legal. People get jobs all of the time based on their connections and people they know, including family. Those that act like this is some sort of egregious or shady act are flat out stupid and hypocrites. If a team wants to spend one of their limited assistant positions on a player’s brother...then let them. It’s their prerogative. Who cares. There is nothing amateur about college athletics, we all know this. Currently it’s the only legit way though a players family can actually get paid by the school who will make millions off of them. Make no mistake OSU will get millions from making the tourney and having Cade on their team this year. Good for him for getting his family some compensation. Don’t blame or criticize him one bit.
yeah boyton should give cunningham half his salary

Memphis hired penny to get wiseman. Carolina hired Psycho T mom back in the day. Sucks but legal I guess
If I remember correctly, a coach named Cal, hired a Dad to get a player when at Memphis. As you say, "Sucks but legal, I guess. I believe the players name was Wagner, from Louisville, Kentucky, where his dad played. I may be wrong on the player's name, but I remember him hiring the Dad, even though he didn't graduate from college.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
We would’ve been a lot better with Cade. Definitely not a losing record. Reason being Cal wouldn’t of played Devin at the point for 35+ min a game. Floor would’ve been bubble team, ceiling probably SS or NIT champions depending which side of the bubble we ended on.
If Cunningham came to UK they automatically would become Title contenders, best player in the country by far, makes everything easier and is clutch. Best PG in long time.

Worked perfectly for your Jayhawks and Mario Chalmers dad getting hired as..cough cough... assistant Coach. Also Danny Manning’s dad got hired by Larry Brown when the Jayhawks won it all in 88

Would Cade have made a big difference on this UK team? Absolutely.

Should missing on one kid be the difference between a great season and a 9–16 season at the greatest program in the history of the sport? Absolutely, resoundingly, NO.

But that’s the situation you find yourself in when your coaches entire repertoire consists of screaming “RUNNNNNN” and “SHOOOOOOOT” for 40 minutes.

Cade is a gem. We'd be in the tournament. He makes everyone better. This team had no real go to scorer minus Mintz. You let him run the show this team looks a whole lot different.

You can't win without a PG. Especially at the college level. Why the hell Cal thought Askew could handle it. I don't know.

Everyone would have liked this team I guarantee it with Cade running the show. He's special.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Put him on KY and we aren’t sitting at home with the worst season in school history. Cal has to have elite PGs to run his show. This kid is elite. We probably are final 4.
Any serviceable PG that could break down defenders and guard would of made a difference. Those guys are a dime a dozen, but unfortunately Cal limits those options with his 6'3" height requirement.

Reactions: TOMCATS1990
Cade is a gem. We'd be in the tournament. He makes everyone better. This team had no real go to scorer minus Mintz. You let him run the show this team looks a whole lot different.

You can't win without a PG. Especially at the college level. Why the hell Cal thought Askew could handle it. I don't know.

Everyone would have liked this team I guarantee it with Cade running the show. He's special.
Correct. When you don’t have a legit PG, it forces all the other players to create everything on their own. You also have to have a concentrated effort to move the ball like a hot potato in order to make the defense move, then swing it on ball reversal.

It makes it even worse when your PG can’t go by anyone and make the defense react. We didn’t have even one guy that could take their man off the dribble consistently. Add in the horrible shooting and the terrible offensive numbers are what you end up with.

In other words, Cunningham would’ve made a world of difference. He can do all the aforementioned things. Was a HUGE miss.

Reactions: Oneandnotdone38
That young man is the truth. Big time loss for Cal that would have made a huge difference.

I think this is a mistake on Cal and Justus. Cade is clearly a OAD at the same level as John Wall/Fox/Cousins/Davis etc. This is the problem. Cal can't get that type of talent consistently anymore. If that is the case he needs to adapt and have kids be 2-4 year players. The more he pushes to the NBA when they're not ready or doesn't give them a fair shot, see Juzang and others. Then we will continue to have years like this. One reason why Coach O needs to come back.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I think this is a mistake on Cal and Justus. Cade is clearly a OAD at the same level as John Wall/Fox/Cousins/Davis etc. This is the problem. Cal can't get that type of talent consistently anymore. If that is the case he needs to adapt and have kids be 2-4 year players. The more he pushes to the NBA when they're not ready or doesn't give them a fair shot, see Juzang and others. Then we will continue to have years like this. One reason why Coach O needs to come back.
I’m trying to understand how some posters don’t think Antigua would make any difference. I think he makes a total difference. Illinois was a dumpster fire before he got there with Underwood. Underwood is a good coach but Antigua is the key to his recruiting. And that team is full of studs.

I think with Cunningham UK is a one or two seed and loses in the elite eight by missing a bunch of free throws. The flaws that were so apparent this year would not have been apparent to so many.

Any serviceable PG that could break down defenders and guard would of made a difference. Those guys are a dime a dozen, but unfortunately Cal limits those options with his 6'3" height requirement.

With CC, all close losses would have been wins.

I think with Cunningham UK is a one or two seed and loses in the elite eight by missing a bunch of free throws. The flaws that were so apparent this year would not have been apparent to so many.
Probably so. Cade is one of those talents who make everyone around him better. He is willing passer but also able to make pressure shots. A guy like that can carry a team.

We hired Jai to get Collins.

Why not have hired Canen to get Cade? Instead, Cal has useless lazy boy recliners like Barbee on the bench?

Cal misplayed this one and it cost us an entire season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT