ADVERTISEMENT

BYU hires Pope's replacement

The NBA’s highest paid assistant in line for an NBA head coaching job? Damn, that’s a surprisingly impressive hire for BYU. Wonder how they pull that off, is he a mormon?

I’m glad Chandler already committed to UK before this news. This guy might’ve been able to convince him to stay.
They can only hire Mormon coaches. Read an article from the Salt Lake paper that said how limiting that is in their coaching hires.

This is probably the best hire that BYU could have realistically made.

The Suns coaching staff is likely going to be fired, so he is locking up job security and a raise when he had previously faced an unknown future. If that happens, then it will be interesting to see what Frank Vogel does. He presumably has a relationship with Mark Pope given that they were at UK at the same time.

The Suns coaching staff is likely going to be fired, so he is locking up job security and a raise when he had previously faced an unknown future. If that happens, then it will be interesting to see what Frank Vogel does. He presumably has a relationship with Mark Pope given that they were at UK at the same time.
Suns fan and live in Glendale AZ- will be interested to see what happens with Vogel once the season is over

His time as a HC is pretty unimpressive to me and he's never been a HC in college.. In fact, the little he has coached in college has been very unimpressive.

I think the jury is out on this hire.

The NBA’s highest paid assistant in line for an NBA head coaching job? Damn, that’s a surprisingly impressive hire for BYU. Wonder how they pull that off, is he a mormon?

I’m glad Chandler already committed to UK before this news. This guy might’ve been able to convince him to stay.
The fact that he was hired as a head coach at BYU answers the question of whether he is a Mormon or not. BYU has a rule that head coaches must be active LDS. That same rule does not apply to assistant coaches... although many of them are LDS as well, especially on the football side.

Kevin Young appears to bring a great resume with him to the BYU job. Now he gets to try his hand at leading a program.

Reactions: UK90
They can only hire Mormon coaches. Read an article from the Salt Lake paper that said how limiting that is in their coaching hires.
That's false. Its not a policy at BYU. They can hire non Morman coaches. Its a matter of choice for BYU. That mostly carries weight to the basketball and footbal programs. They have a non Morman coach for the women's cross country team.

No disrespect but Robinson ain’t all that, I mean maybe the light clicked on or something, but I saw him at A&M, I saw him at Arkansas, he’s just not that guy, or wasn’t I should say.

No disrespect but Robinson ain’t all that, I mean maybe the light clicked on or something, but I saw him at A&M, I saw him at Arkansas, he’s just not that guy, or wasn’t I should say.
He was the Big-12 winner for 6th Man of the year. That's a pretty good honor from a pretty good conference. If he is our #1 best player.... that could be a problem. But if he is in the mix as a top-3 player for our roster then that is a strong team. He's like a little better Kellen Grady, not as polished offensively as Antonio Reeves.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
That's false. Its not a policy at BYU. They can hire non Morman coaches. Its a matter of choice for BYU. That mostly carries weight to the basketball and footbal programs. They have a non Morman coach for the women's cross country team

Side bar: how sweet of a gig is it to be a D1 cross country coach?

"OK run to that point over there.. and once you get there, run back to me. Oh and make sure to stretch"

That's false. Its not a policy at BYU. They can hire non Morman coaches. Its a matter of choice for BYU. That mostly carries weight to the basketball and footbal programs. They have a non Morman coach for the women's cross country team.
Thanks for correcting me. Link below on the cross country coach. It’s a practice not a policy on hiring LDS.

Reactions: BasketBallJunkie-UK

Dream staff for transition:

Head coach: Pope

Assistant: Frank Vogel

Assistant: Orlando Antigua (to mend fences with Cal's guys and also to piss off Cal)

Assistant: Rajon Rondo

Assistant: Jay Triano (currently a Kings assistant coach who has helped develop their offense). He's been an assistant and/or head coach in the NBA since 2002.

Dream staff for transition:

Head coach: Pope

Assistant: Frank Vogel

Assistant: Orlando Antigua (to mend fences with Cal's guys and also to piss off Cal)

Assistant: Rajon Rondo

Assistant: Jay Triano (currently a Kings assistant coach who has helped develop their offense). He's been an assistant and/or head coach in the NBA since 2002.

Vogel serving as an assistant under pope is definitely a dream fantasy.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
Maybe the official policy is you don't have to be Morman to coach there.. Because of discrimination issues, even tho its a private university... But in most cases, I think they are.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT