ADVERTISEMENT

BVG vs Wimsatt

99firerock

Sophomore
Sep 4, 2015
Virginia
Since the UK ranks 121st in passing offense, 115th total offense, and 114th in scoring offense...

Is it time for a change?

BV is ranked 71 with a QBR of 56.2. While, I want to have faith in him and he seems to be getting better. The decisions are slow, the passes are wobbly, and overall our O has not been where it needs to be.

Would Wimsatt, who has experience, be worth the change for the rest of the season?

Since the UK ranks 121st in passing offense, 115th total offense, and 114th in scoring offense...

Is it time for a change?

BV is ranked 71 with a QBR of 56.2. While, I want to have faith in him and he seems to be getting better. The decisions are slow, the passes are wobbly, and overall our O has not been where it needs to be.

Would Wimsatt, who has experience, be worth the change for the rest of the season?
So what does Wimsatt do that is going to make the offense better?

1. Sure Wimsatt is a better runner….but he ain’t Mike Vick and i don’t see him as but marginally better then Brock …who csn move his feet

2. Wimsatt has two years of experience playing qb at Rutgers….and it wasn’t good at all. Below 50% completion percentage …throw more picks then td…

3. Brock is completing 60% of his passes 5Td vs 2 picks for about 160 ish yards a game….snd he ain’t dinking and dunking down the field…pushes the ball well in those in routes to Dane Key etc….so while not generating a ton of offense….he ain’t losing the game with turnovers and csn get others involved

So why some thing Wimsatt is a better option…if he was an unknown kid ….maybe I could see a change. But we know what Wimsatt is….and it ain’t good at all. The wr would be glorified blockers, defenders will load the box…he never gives the ball on read option….so Wilcox/Demi could be less involved

If anything…I’m clamoring for less Wimsatt…certainly not more. His snaps may take the offense off rhythm. Brock certainly needs to get rid of the ball quicker…but that is coaching and he’s in his 6th game…let the kid grow. Besides, we need a qb in 2025….handing this to Boley next year could be going thru growing pains all over again.

I’d be about why we have maybe the worst tackles in sec before I’m focused on qb spot

The only change thats needed is to stop playing wimsatt altogether unless its a sneak situation. Rotating qbs is one of the dumbest things i saw since couch running the option.

I could tolerate it if wimsatt was somehow snapping off nice runs and close to breaking one but that isnt the case. In fact he almost gave us the ultimate collapse fumbling the ball going into the endzone.

Let our rbs have his carries as they're more productive and as deserving. Wilcox getting those carries is way more likely to produce an explosive play.

The only change thats needed is to stop playing wimsatt altogether unless its a sneak situation. Rotating qbs is one of the dumbest things i saw since couch running the option.

I could tolerate it if wimsatt was somehow snapping off nice runs and close to breaking one but that isnt the case. In fact he almost gave us the ultimate collapse fumbling the ball going into the endzone.

Let our rbs have his carries as they're more productive and as deserving. Wilcox getting those carries is way more likely to produce an explosive play.
Agree with this 1000%

So what does Wimsatt do that is going to make the offense better?

1. Sure Wimsatt is a better runner….but he ain’t Mike Vick and i don’t see him as but marginally better then Brock …who csn move his feet

2. Wimsatt has two years of experience playing qb at Rutgers….and it wasn’t good at all. Below 50% completion percentage …throw more picks then td…

3. Brock is completing 60% of his passes 5Td vs 2 picks for about 160 ish yards a game….snd he ain’t dinking and dunking down the field…pushes the ball well in those in routes to Dane Key etc….so while not generating a ton of offense….he ain’t losing the game with turnovers and csn get others involved

So why some thing Wimsatt is a better option…if he was an unknown kid ….maybe I could see a change. But we know what Wimsatt is….and it ain’t good at all. The wr would be glorified blockers, defenders will load the box…he never gives the ball on read option….so Wilcox/Demi could be less involved

If anything…I’m clamoring for less Wimsatt…certainly not more. His snaps may take the offense off rhythm. Brock certainly needs to get rid of the ball quicker…but that is coaching and he’s in his 6th game…let the kid grow. Besides, we need a qb in 2025….handing this to Boley next year could be going thru growing pains all over again.

I’d be about why we have maybe the worst tackles in sec before I’m focused on qb spot
The backup is always the most popular unless QB1 is a star but even then a few iffy games and the horns come out.

Passing offense stats aren’t on BV…they would be if for 13 years we’ve had any thing close to a modern competitive passing offense. From recruiting, development, to on field game plan and play calling execution…stoops era for all the good things has been partly defined by lack of passing offense.

Playing a QB 10-12-15 snaps that can’t pass is ridiculous- it’s 2024 not 1977

Sure. If you want to slide even further down the rankings. GW is not a QB. he is just not accurate. He was terrible at Rutgers, he would be terrible here. Look at his stats at Rutgers and you will fin the answer you seek. WTF do you think he left as a starter there to be a backup here ? And do not even say he was promised a chance to start because that convo never happened.

Honestly, I think being smarter in the passing game would help BV enormously. Cut down the number of plays called that the primary (and probably secondary) receiver is 15+ yards down the field (and, more times than not, ACROSS the field so the ball is in the air forever) and work the flats, the middle, the short slants and seams, etc. Give BV options to hit a receiver for 5 yards at a clip with the possibility of YAC and I think you'd see BV look fine. With a suspect OL, there is no reason whatsoever to call as many long developing plays - none. I would recommend 75% or more of our passes not go more than 8 yards beyond the LOS. That still leaves a few longer throws (2nd and short would be a good time rather than Wimsatt running for 2 yards) but also doesn't constantly rely on our line holding the rush back for 3.5 seconds or longer. With some of the skill position players we have, there would be a missed tackle here and there and those 7 yard passes turn into 18 yard gains. Nothing wrong with that.

Now, will Hamdan actually do that? That's the $1 million question at this point.

Honestly, I think being smarter in the passing game would help BV enormously. Cut down the number of plays called that the primary (and probably secondary) receiver is 15+ yards down the field (and, more times than not, ACROSS the field so the ball is in the air forever) and work the flats, the middle, the short slants and seams, etc. Give BV options to hit a receiver for 5 yards at a clip with the possibility of YAC and I think you'd see BV look fine. With a suspect OL, there is no reason whatsoever to call as many long developing plays - none. I would recommend 75% or more of our passes not go more than 8 yards beyond the LOS. That still leaves a few longer throws (2nd and short would be a good time rather than Wimsatt running for 2 yards) but also doesn't constantly rely on our line holding the rush back for 3.5 seconds or longer. With some of the skill position players we have, there would be a missed tackle here and there and those 7 yard passes turn into 18 yard gains. Nothing wrong with that.

Now, will Hamdan actually do that? That's the $1 million question at this point.

I definitely agree on stopping the shots. I know they want to be explosive but we just arent getting the looks. First they bring pressure often which means its iffy. Otherwise theyre in two deep which means we're not pushing it downfield on the outside, which is where te or slot should come in.

Couple all that with our speed guy not being a great route runner and its a bad combo.

Of course the other thing they could do is go back to the scang roles where brown is the crosser and key works deeper. He's slower but both he and maclin are much better at getting the ball.

Neither option is good, but I agree with this 100%. Choose one and go.

I've tongue in cheek suggested that we run Wimsatt in the option / wing-T but Vanderpuff is the best of a bad choice at this point in the season only because the option is a whole other beast. You can't just switch to a whole new scheme mid season and expect to win.

It won't matter anyway until the line is fixed. They are better at run blocking but we don't really have a good back that Stoops will play. Maybe Wilcox will learn to tie his shoes between now and Saturday. :rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT