ADVERTISEMENT

Buster faulkner

jeffky

Sophomore
Sep 22, 2017
Ksr said bbn pay attention to this name will probably be the next oc

Was the TE position coach last year but usually coached QBs judging by his wiki. Wonder what his Arkansas St offense was like in 2016 or his SMiss offense in 2020 (weird covid year tho).

Was the TE position coach last year but usually coached QBs judging by his wiki. Wonder what his Arkansas St offense was like in 2016 or his SMiss offense in 2020 (weird covid year tho).
Bennett said buster was the reason. He developed into a big time qb nominated for the Boyles award this year also

Reactions: KentuckyDC
Not a very splashy name that's for sure. Would think we could get a high octane OC from a bigger school.

He was OC last year at GT AND coached TE's.
Sounds like just who we need. Out of the Chris Hatcher/Hal Mumme air raid system. We NEED to move to this updated spread/air raid system that he runs.

Bennett said buster was the reason. He developed into a big time qb nominated for the Boyles award this year also
He said that about a guy who had a Quality Control title and not his OC or position coach, now doing great in the NFL, Todd Monken? Interesting.

Reactions: KentuckyDC
Thumbs up, if so I approve

Wonder if they are working out his family situation. He has a highly regarded son playing qb and reportedly they want to stay with his Georgia HS team.

Reactions: vhcat70 and UKfirst
Not a very splashy name that's for sure. Would think we could get a high octane OC from a bigger school.
You think we're in position to poach a big name from a big school? This isn't basketball. By the way, Georgia Tech is a P5 school (with frankly a better history than we have) and Faulkner is a legit name.

He said that about a guy who had a Quality Control title and not his OC or position coach, now doing great in the NFL, Todd Monken? Interesting.

Monken never coached QBs, when Buster was at UGA he worked with the QBs, Monken was there but it was Buster. He worked with Monken at 2-3 stops and I believe the plan was for him to take over when Monken moved on. But Bobo returning changed that and Tech offered opportunity and he took it. I think he will be an upgrade over Coen, if he is the guy. His offense was difficult to defend at Tech last season, Coen's not so much.

As an OC

Arkansas St’s numbers:

SMiss numbers:

GT numbers:

UK last year (against several good defenses):

hopefully, he is great.

If this holds......not a bad guy for UK to pivot to.

1. When you're this late in coaches being fired/hired in December/January....to be in this spot in February...UK was up against it.
2. To have familiarity with Vandagriff at UGA is a nice card that they have some semblance....and this will hopefully settle him into UK even more. To be fair...the 2024 season basically rides on Vandagriff being a player.. And if Faulkner has a connection with Vandagriff....all the better.
3. Faulkner offense at Ga Tech put up 2800 yards passing and 2600 yards rushing. Their QB put up 700 rushing yards. So he checks a lot of boxes....Balance pass/run. Uses QB run as part of scheme. The offense did have more TO's than I would hope would be the only negative.

I'd have to give a thumbs up if this is the choice.

One of the cool things about Buster Faulkner is that he is one of those coaches who values players over a system. He adapts his offense to fit the players he has, rather than trying to force square pegs into round holes. IMO, this is an absolutely crucial trait that offensive coordinators at the college level must possess if they wish to be consistently good from one season to the next. There is just too much player turnover, especially now with the portal. Sometimes you are going to end up with guys on the roster who may not be a perfect fit for a system that is too rigid. So having a degree of flexibility is a necessity in the modern college game.

You think we're in position to poach a big name from a big school? This isn't basketball. By the way, Georgia Tech is a P5 school (with frankly a better history than we have) and Faulkner is a legit name.
Nevermind the fact that we TWICE took Coen from Sean McVey and that he was immediately hired back by McVey the first time and had MULTIPLE NFL OC interviews before he took the Bucs job. Yep, we can't get anyone with a name. Way to use those brains.

Faulkner has been the fan choice from everything I have heard and read, followed by Will Stein and Tommy Rees. From the info I have gathered I think Faulkner would be a good fit for UK. However I also read that he is a Georgia home boy and isn't anxious to relocate. Turned down OC job offers from Notre Dame and Arkansas in the past. Money wise I think he is around $1M so we have room to bump him up quite a bit from that.

Personally if he is the choice I would be very happy, his record speaks for itself.

Faulkner has been the fan choice from everything I have heard and read, followed by Will Stein and Tommy Re

es. From the info I have gathered I think Faulkner would be a good fit for UK. However I also read that he is a Georgia home boy and isn't anxious to relocate. Turned down OC job offers from Notre Dame and Arkansas in the past. Money wise I think he is around $1M so we have room to bump him up quite a bit from that.

Personally if he is the choice I would be very happy, his record speaks for itself.

He could be one of those guys that likes to move around, his mentor is for sure. I can see Pittman trying to hire him, but never heard ND was interested in him while he was at UGA. Vandagriff is a good runner, don't think he is the runner king is, but if not for that funky release I think he is potentially a better passer.

Reactions: CapitolHillCat
Faulkner has been the fan choice from everything I have heard and read, followed by Will Stein and Tommy Rees. From the info I have gathered I think Faulkner would be a good fit for UK. However I also read that he is a Georgia home boy and isn't anxious to relocate. Turned down OC job offers from Notre Dame and Arkansas in the past. Money wise I think he is around $1M so we have room to bump him up quite a bit from that.

I've see him listed on media speculated list of candidates, but did he really turn down offers to Notre Dame and Arkansas?

Name seems to have a lot of heat. Would get some buzz in cfb world if we did hire him.

He could be one of those guys that likes to move around, his mentor is for sure. I can see Pittman trying to hire him, but never heard ND was interested in him while he was at UGA. Vandagriff is a good runner, don't think he is the runner king is, but if not for that funky release I think he is potentially a better passer.
His father (who is a HS coach) recently spoke at great length about his release and he pointed out in detail how his release (and most any QBs) changes with the type of throws he makes and the situation he is in. He gave a lot of examples but Brock's release isn't really that unusual when you break it down. He also said he expects to run about 10 times a game but that was when Coen was still here. With Brock's history with Faulkner I think he would be happy with him.

I've see him listed on media speculated list of candidates, but did he really turn down offers to Notre Dame and Arkansas?

Name seems to have a lot of heat. Would get some buzz in cfb world if we did hire him.
I can't verify the ND offer, just what I heard.
If this is the guy Stoops wants they will go all in for him.

What would lead one to think this
Nevermind the fact that we TWICE took Coen from Sean McVey and that he was immediately hired back by McVey the first time and had MULTIPLE NFL OC interviews before he took the Bucs job. Yep, we can't get anyone with a name. Way to use those brains.

Faulkner appears to be a good play-caller and is creative enough to allow Georgia Tech to hold their own against a good Georgia team with a huge talent disparity. He throws a little of everything at you, which is nice.

Georgia fans are pretty much universal in their praise for Faulkner. Looking around at various online discussions, Georgia fans clearly see Faulkner being groomed to be Georgia's future OC, much in the same way we fondly speak of Jon Sumrall and think he is being groomed as our future head coach. If Georgia fans like the guy, that is good enough for me.

Shows he well thought of. What's he done besides a year with Levis? Numbers wise...what's he done? What numbers can he put on paper, that will jump out?

Luckett rpeorted he's making $700k at GT.

His father (who is a HS coach) recently spoke at great length about his release and he pointed out in detail how his release (and most any QBs) changes with the type of throws he makes and the situation he is in. He gave a lot of examples but Brock's release isn't really that unusual when you break it down. He also said he expects to run about 10 times a game but that was when Coen was still here. With Brock's history with Faulkner I think he would be happy with him.

Just a warning, the dad is not cared for much in the GA hs coaches circle. But I have to respectfully disagree on his release. Doesn't change the fact Brock is a very good athlete, dominant in HS. Was a good runner, maybe better than good, elite passer. And Faulker is very good with QBs coach, developed Bennett, a good bit of Beck and with BV. UK could do much worse, I personally rather have him than Coen.

So let's see who are out last 6 hires at OC have been.
Neal Brown, well-known, OC at P5 school, comparable to GT, so he's comparable to Faulkner.
Shannon Dawson, OC in name only at P5 school, similar to GT, so he's comparable to Faulkner, but much more of a reach.
Eddie Gran, OC at a midmajor.
Coen Pt. 1, an unknown assistant to an assistant at the Rams.
Scangarello, a journeyman NFL assistant.
Coen again. The one truly big name hire. And he had ties here.

So, if Stoops leaves, who's on your list? Sounds like you'd expect Smart, Riley, or perhaps get Saban out of retirement.

• Haha
Reactions: secrules3
Faulkner appears to be a good play-caller and is creative enough to allow Georgia Tech to hold their own against a good Georgia team with a huge talent disparity. He throws a little of everything at you, which is nice.

Georgia fans are pretty much universal in their praise for Faulkner. Looking around at various online discussions, Georgia fans clearly see Faulkner being groomed to be Georgia's future OC, much in the same way we fondly speak of Jon Sumrall and think he is being groomed as our future head coach. If Georgia fans like the guy, that is good enough for me.
Yeah this is pretty much a usual college offense that many teams run

- Qb in pistol or deep shotgun….never under
Center
- alot of read option…run your Qb a third of the carries
- a lot of play action passes off run looks
- not pre occupied with deep passing
- you get to LOS …guys will go in motion…and you snap the ball…not a lot of shifts. So the speed aspect of running plays will go back to what many complain last season
- my main beef with these schemes is short yardage can be a problem when teams stack box and you can’t account for them all

I hate to lose the stuff in getting under center and some of the NFL schemes (felt like we could attract higher end qbs wjrh a unique school that ran nfl concepts)…but not being able to keep stability at coaching and felt complex for college kids to absorb early…I guess this is the better path forward

He done so well last season there was talk early about losing him and who GA Tech should make OC when Faulkner is taken. Like his balance on play calling. It would be interesting to see how well he could do jumping to the SEC.

If this holds......not a bad guy for UK to pivot to.

1. When you're this late in coaches being fired/hired in December/January....to be in this spot in February...UK was up against it.
2. To have familiarity with Vandagriff at UGA is a nice card that they have some semblance....and this will hopefully settle him into UK even more. To be fair...the 2024 season basically rides on Vandagriff being a player.. And if Faulkner has a connection with Vandagriff....all the better.
3. Faulkner offense at Ga Tech put up 2800 yards passing and 2600 yards rushing. Their QB put up 700 rushing yards. So he checks a lot of boxes....Balance pass/run. Uses QB run as part of scheme. The offense did have more TO's than I would hope would be the only negative.

I'd have to give a thumbs up if this is the choice.
Yep I'm in on this one too

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT