ADVERTISEMENT

Burkes’ Minutes vs. Bama

It’s been shown that not as many transfer out as many of you claim.
Although NIL has changed that some for EVERY program.

I think he played less just because Edwards was having such a good game.

And I think Burks and Theiro will be a good pair of forwards for us next year!

The only conclusion that I can reach (as even the scrubs weren't put in) is they were having fun and because Cal finally had the sense to use the correct combination he needed to give them as much time as possible to work together as a team.

Reactions: awf and chroix
Becaus t he players ahead of him are light years better . OkI'm exaggerating , but on this squad, this roster , hes a cigar . No offense intended

Furthermore , unless you take the few minutes Bradshaw got , who are taking minutes from ? Z ? Cmon . Even Bradshaw has a far larger upside than Burks . Absurd to think Burks should be taking clock from anyone .

He’s the type of player we need to stay & not transfer, I’d expect a different version of him next year with the off season workouts. He & thiero could really be a leathal combo down low especially on the defensive end. I hope the staff really works on keeping him.
I agree with you. Next year I could see something like this at Forwards:
Theiro 28mpg, 14pt, 7reb, 1 blk, 1 3pt
Burks 26mpg, 13pt, 7reb, 1 blk, 1 3pt

Reactions: chroix
no matter the game or minutes played there is always someone convinced that player x should have gotten more. We had a decent win. We should be happen with that.

Reactions: chroix and awf
I think people have been right to criticize Calipari for using too many guys and not shortening the rotation. Against Bama, he did that to the extreme. Sure, we could have given the other guys more minutes.

But if we wanted Cal to shorten the rotation and give the right guys consistent minutes--he did it. Let's be happy for that.

Burks knew he wouldn't play a ton this year. If he's going to transfer--5 or 10 more minutes vs Bama wasn't the difference.

Reactions: chroix and awf
Who would you have taken out? The two in front of him are Thiero and Edwards, and they both played great.
You keep Edwards in and let him roll to get his confidence peaking a week before March.

• Love
Reactions: chroix
I don't have an opinion on Burks one way or another but he does fit the profile of a player that transfers at the end of the year. I think its come to the point where the kid doesn't even have to be frustrated, its just a black and white decision given what happens in the program year over year.

Maybe recruiting a guy to say up front, it might happen this year depending on how hard you work but next year is my timeline for you to contribute could help retain a guy that is questioning if he has a place on the team.

Of course Cal may have done that.

Burks is a player I love to see Cal getting into the program....if he stays 3-4 years. But if we can't show him a pathway like that and get him to buy into and leaves in a year...Burks will be another wasted roster spot for UK.

As far as this year...Burks brings nothing to the table that Thiero does and Adou is eons better ball handler, physically powerful, has insanely good motor, etc...so why try to get Burks minutes at the expense of Edwards at the PF and Thiero as your main PF?

I think cutting the rotation to 8 guys (Dilly, Reed, Reeves, Wagner, Edwards, Theiro, Ugo and Ivisic)....is our best game unit. The extra minutes for Bradshaw, Burks....are a waste of minutes. Plus Mitchell comes back in a bit.

Reactions: TankedCat
I think he came in with about 3 minutes left. Wonder why he didn’t get a little more run in a game so far out of hand? He seems more talented than just victory cigar minutes.

*Disclaimer; This is not a complaint. Just an observation.
He is getting the Hopkins treatment. We were up 36 with 5:33 to play and I said put him in for Edwards. Game was over at that point. Cal never did and that is why kids leave when they don’t get good minutes in a blowout. Also why the bench is rarely developed and consistent. Cal is an effing clown.

Time to shorten the rotation. Him and Bradshaw will only see minutes in blowouts or unforeseen foul trouble. We will now go 8-9 deep.

Reactions: fatguy87
Furthermore , unless you take the few minutes Bradshaw got , who are taking minutes from ? Z ? Cmon . Even Bradshaw has a far larger upside than Burks . Absurd to think Burks should be taking clock from anyone .
While I agree with most of this, Bradshaw as of right now, is a pretty big liability compared to the others in front of him.

I was not impressed with the play Edwards had this year but I never wrote him off because you could see gears turning and improvement and flashes of what he is as a player. Bradshaw, not so much. I would atleast explore and give Burks a chance to find some rhythm to his game. If I had to pick whose minutes he gets, it would definitely be Bradshaws.

Reactions: bigbluedon
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT