ADVERTISEMENT

Bump this until Stoops is gone!!!

I said after the South Carolina game I was done with Stoops. I still feel that way, but he could win me back if we finish out very strong with this brutal schedule.

My thing is how he just won't change, particularly offensively, overall conservatism, and his clock management/situational awareness. It's year 12 so we know what we are getting.

This is different from Cal. I was ready for him to go looking ago. Just didn't care foer his salesman approach and didn't necessarily like him period. Stoops I at least like as a person. Would love to have a beer or two with him. Cal not so much.

I'm afraid it's time to
bumpit2-gif.921183

• Love
Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
Maybe a different perspective but my take:
1) We have been piss poor with execution this year. From special teams to offensive line to just general discipline. Our issues are fixable so we MAY have a good second half of the season, We are better discipline and a few breaks away from being 4-1 right now and facing a Florida team that’s very, very beatable.
2) College football is the toughest sport to break out in. We have been low tier of Power 5 for decades but have risen to what I would consider the second tier. Do I want to move up? Hell yes, but thats a generational move that is always a challenge given recruiting, our conference, etc. I think we can get there, and I really think stoops could get us there, but its not been proven he can take a high tier QB recruit (or transfer) to that level which has been the biggest drawback in his tenure.
3) Our defense has been very solid through Stoops tenure. He is obviously very in tune with what it will take to stay competitive on that side of the ball. I go back to having several high level QB’s that just don’t produce which is my biggest complaint with him as a coach. But it only takes one, and it mainly takes one OC to get there.
4) NIL has been a huge benefit to us to allow us to pull some guys that were high level D1 recruits, but didn’t have the chance at other schools, but that also creates complications with chemistry which I really do feel this team is struggling with. I go back to the first point that if, and its a huge IF, they could ever get their shit together as a team, stop shooting themselves in the foot then they could be extremely dangerous in the 12 team system.

All that said, I am still a fan of Stoops. It could go sideways if you hire the wrong guy and most of us older fans have been there and it’s brutal. His stability within the program has been a huge benefit to the program so I do think he deserves more time if he wants to be here. There is no immediate solution at HC that I see at this point. Sumerall is awesome but he has more to prove IMO. Would love to see him be successful at a power 5 and then throw the money at him. After that the list is pretty slim on who we could reasonably get.

Just my opinion and open to other points, but we have learned, many times over, that the grass isn’t greener on the other side.

Maybe a different perspective but my take:
1) We have been piss poor with execution this year. From special teams to offensive line to just general discipline. Our issues are fixable so we MAY have a good second half of the season, We are better discipline and a few breaks away from being 4-1 right now and facing a Florida team that’s very, very beatable.
2) College football is the toughest sport to break out in. We have been low tier of Power 5 for decades but have risen to what I would consider the second tier. Do I want to move up? Hell yes, but thats a generational move that is always a challenge given recruiting, our conference, etc. I think we can get there, and I really think stoops could get us there, but its not been proven he can take a high tier QB recruit (or transfer) to that level which has been the biggest drawback in his tenure.
3) Our defense has been very solid through Stoops tenure. He is obviously very in tune with what it will take to stay competitive on that side of the ball. I go back to having several high level QB’s that just don’t produce which is my biggest complaint with him as a coach. But it only takes one, and it mainly takes one OC to get there.
4) NIL has been a huge benefit to us to allow us to pull some guys that were high level D1 recruits, but didn’t have the chance at other schools, but that also creates complications with chemistry which I really do feel this team is struggling with. I go back to the first point that if, and its a huge IF, they could ever get their shit together as a team, stop shooting themselves in the foot then they could be extremely dangerous in the 12 team system.

All that said, I am still a fan of Stoops. It could go sideways if you hire the wrong guy and most of us older fans have been there and it’s brutal. His stability within the program has been a huge benefit to the program so I do think he deserves more time if he wants to be here. There is no immediate solution at HC that I see at this point. Sumerall is awesome but he has more to prove IMO. Would love to see him be successful at a power 5 and then throw the money at him. After that the list is pretty slim on who we could reasonably get.

Just my opinion and open to other points, but we have learned, many times over, that the grass isn’t greener on the other side.
It would be very difficult to hire any coach that would or could be worse than Stoops. We need to get away from "we might not get a good coach," we don't have a good coach now. A high level high school coach would not be any worse offensively than we currently are. Stoops has had 6 OCs and every one have been handcuffed and we continue to be horrible. We will NEVER get a great QB to come here with the offensive we run. Kids today like to play up tempo ball. We play down tempo under Stoops. It is in his DNA and will never change.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT