ADVERTISEMENT

Buford and Wohlabaugh

But that, IIRC, was also as a true sophomore. So, he was still fairly young and learning a position that requires a lot more than just physical ability.
And they say the learning curve, to go along with S&C program and proper nutrition, requires most OL at least two years in college before they can contribute consistently. One reason I'm not particular worried about Burton or Goodwin over the long-term. They are still young, and unlike receivers, don't play a position that has quick fixes.

But that, IIRC, was also as a true sophomore. So, he was still fairly young and learning a position that requires a lot more than just physical ability.
He was in his 2nd year. So was young who was already the starting LT. They were trying to playing guys out of position because they thought he was too small. They wouldn't worried about him being able to snap the ball but rather block big DTs. After 10-15 horrible snaps and fumbles thru 3-4 games they put him in. Schlarman wanted to give his brother a scholarship but he he is a little smaller than Drake and gran stopped it. He may have been too small and probably made a good decision to go where he went. But those two have something part our line is missing, a nasty streak. They had good technique but to go with they had that nasty streak that rip the guys head off before he was getting by them. Our current guys get pushed around way to easy

I am with you on this. There's enough experience among the coaches to know what works and what doesn't.

Another way of looking at it...the coaches aren't trying to lose. They will play the best of what they got. If a bunch of guys haven't separated themselves and stood above the rest, then the coaches will probably experiment with personnel to get more data to help make better decisions.

Reactions: ACT ONE
He was in his 2nd year. So was young who was already the starting LT. They were trying to playing guys out of position because they thought he was too small. They wouldn't worried about him being able to snap the ball but rather block big DTs. After 10-15 horrible snaps and fumbles thru 3-4 games they put him in. Schlarman wanted to give his brother a scholarship but he he is a little smaller than Drake and gran stopped it. He may have been too small and probably made a good decision to go where he went. But those two have something part our line is missing, a nasty streak. They had good technique but to go with they had that nasty streak that rip the guys head off before he was getting by them. Our current guys get pushed around way to easy

I was not so much referring to the snap, but to the fact that at the center position you are typically called on to be the QB of the line. To recognize blitz packages and to get into the right protection. That is something that can take a while to learn. So, it would make some sense that they'd rather ease him into that rather than throw him into it early into his second year. At something like LT, you aren't required to read the defenses like that as much as you are to have the physical attributes. Young had those, especially compared to other players we had. So, he got thrown to the wolves earlier.

I'd like to know what changed, honestly. Buford was slated to start and then Wohl upped his game and now neither are hardly seeing the field. With a line that continues to struggle, I'd have thought giving those guys more snaps would have been a no brainer.

Instead, Burton struggles and no change. Cox struggles and no change. Flax and Horsey at times struggle and no change. It's curious. I know they're trying to work it out in practice but I think there needs to be some sort of shakeup to see if we can't solidify the OL.

Will be interesting to see the PFF grades on OL this week (I don't subscribe so I'll have to hope someone posts them).
Wohlabaugh started at LT against Miami OH and he was God awful. I don’t know the answer but these guys need a fire lit under their ass. There is no fire, no mean streak in these guys. OL should be the nastiest dudes on the field.

Reactions: 3Bluefever325
From what we've seen so far, seems like a lot of guys haven't learned the mental part.
The real issue is guard and center. Cox and Burton have been bad, especially Burton. He looks lost out there sometimes and ends up standing around after a play. I would think someone else needs a shot soon. I like Wilson at center and Cox at guard or Cox at center and one of the group above (Young, Rodriguez or Buford at guard) but that's just me.
Couldn’t agree with this take more. Burton has been flat out bad. Flax has been equally as bad. I’m of the opinion we definitely need to move Wilson to center and plug the best option in for him at the very least.
So why has John Young not gotten a shot ?
On Van Hiles film breakdown he shows MANY times when an offensive lineman looks lost and doesn’t know who to block . It’s unknown if they don’t know their blocking assignment or if the wrong blocking scheme has been called but it’s pretty obvious that lots of times they aren’t “on the same page “ . What is worrisome to me is that I was hoping we could work some of our younger guys in and build some depth and get a solid rotation in our early part of the schedule. But we havent even been able to get a cohesive unit from our starters .

Okay. Lot of unhappy people. You might think we were 0-4. You might think we are the only team with unresolved issues.

We are ranked 7th in the country. I will be the first to say our Oline has not been our greatest strength so far. This week will be a big test for them because Ole Miss has a very good front seven. But Ole Miss is vulnerable in the secondary. Some interesting matchups on Sat. I think I heard that Ole Miss's best pass rusher is out with an injury.

Reactions: mrschwump
I don't think it's ridiculous or silly at all. He probably was borderline, he didn't perform under the lights, and a borderline starter got relegated. The only question was how he'd do in live reps and it got answered.

And your examples aren't really good ones. Snell rushed for over 1,000 yards with Boom (doing the same and also rushing for 1,000 yards). Bledsoe was All-Pro and Brady probably would have started for other teams if he wasn't a Patriot.

I stand by the coaches know more than we keyboard warriors.
They do .But it is not ALWAYS the case . I’m not saying there are better players sitting on our bench . I’m just saying I’ve always hated that statement.

Okay. Lot of unhappy people. You might think we were 0-4. You might think we are the only team with unresolved issues.

We are ranked 7th in the country. I will be the first to say our Oline has not been our greatest strength so far. This week will be a big test for them because Ole Miss has a very good front seven. But Ole Miss is vulnerable in the secondary. Some interesting matchups on Sat. I think I heard that Ole Miss's best pass rusher is out with an injury.
As for me …. I was discussing the problems our offensive line has been having. It’s right there on film and film don’t lie . I’m tickled to death with our record , our ranking, and the overall shape of our program. Are we not allowed to talk about things we need to improve on and what may be the reason or solution. I’m sure the Alabama and Georgia boards have people doing the same thing . If you just want people to be mindless cheerleaders, I think you’re on the wrong board.

Reactions: catben and zcats

Isn't this a board to discuss Kentucky sports? I have never seen you on here before but this kind of analysis and talk goes on win or lose. It's called discussion, not unhappy whining.

Reactions: catben
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT