ADVERTISEMENT

Bruce pearl and Auburn

I seriously don't get some of you guys.

Bruce Pearl's best finish is sweet sixteen?

Last year he was knocked out in round of 32 .

And we have bunch of angry mofo right now because Cal won the sec tourney and made it to sweet sixteen last year.

Let's hope we have Cal for another 10 years so we can have fanbase pissed that Cal won SEc tourney and only made it to sweet sixteen.
He took UT to an elite 8. Our team was beaten to shit with only 7 scholarship players by the time we got to the tournament last year. He lost arguably his 2 best players last year and still won the SEC. Give him a roster loaded with 5* and I think you would see him put a team in final 4.

He is a fat cheating scumbag. No way he comes to UK
He hosted a BBQ that was an NCAA violation and lied about it. How does that stack up with KU, Oregon, Arizona, and LSU getting caught buying players?

I am not sweating Pearl. He has won nothing and never will.

It is funny how so many fans clown a coach and then wonder if they would be any good here. Off the top of my head Pearl and Barnes.
He won an SEC championship last year.

Pearl is a cheater and even though Person went down in the recent FBI investigation you can bet Pearl was who was behind the infraction. Do not need a cheater at our program.
Person was busted for taking kick backs from a financial adviser that he was setting current players up with. Why would Bruce have been involved in that? If anything, Person was increasing the likelihood our top guys left for the pros early. He was not accused of doing anything related to recruiting.

Pearl can coach rings around Cal. Some where between UMASS and UK, Cal stopped coaching and just wanted 5 star players and the OAD.

Oh, and welcome back.
I don't think I would go that far. Cal has had a ton of success.

Well, it was more than just a BBQ, he got fired and banned from college basketball for committing another violation after that one. Not to mention that he is part of the fbi thing too.
Pearl has nothing to do with the FBI investigation. Our assistant coach was in dire financial straights and started taking money to steer players to a financial adviser. Why would Bruce participate in that? He certainly didn't need the money and the violations did nothing to improve our team. If anything, it made guys more likely to go pro early.

Person was busted for taking kick backs from a financial adviser that he was setting current players up with. Why would Bruce have been involved in that? If anything, Person was increasing the likelihood our top guys left for the pros early. He was not accused of doing anything related to recruiting.
Yet! Pearl is dirty whether you want to believe it or not. He has been dirty at every school he has Coached at and a look at AU's current roster and you see players surrounded by controversy.

He took UT to an elite 8. Our team was beaten to shit with only 7 scholarship players by the time we got to the tournament last year. He lost arguably his 2 best players last year and still won the SEC. Give him a roster loaded with 5* and I think you would see him put a team in final 4.

amount of excuses is astounding in this one single post. Nice...

The guy is a hellava coach IMO, but he'll do anything to win, including cheating and lying. Pass.

That said, his Auburn team this season is very good.

There’s something gimmicky about the way his teams play, which is I suspect why he annually underachieves in the postseason. He’s the basketball version of Mike Leach. Pearl/Leach is the guy who takes a lower profile power 5 team and makes them much better than they’d been before. But there’s a hard ceiling there. Bama, Ohio State, etc., they don’t hire a Leach. And Kentucky, Kansas, Carolina wouldn’t hire a Pearl. And that’s not even getting into the show cause, the bad history, or the snitching. I’m just talking coaching and style of play. Add in the other stuff, no way he gets an upper tier job.

Good thing. If he came to Kentucky, after 3 years and going Round of 32/Sweet 16/ Round of 32, he’d be on the endangered species list. Of course, that’s probably what’s going to happen no matter who follows our “most regular season wins/most NCAA Tournament wins” coach. But the resident rebel rousers don’t know that. They’ll just bitch even louder for the next guy.....

Pearl has never hid the fact he loves UK and it's fans. Not really sure how I'd feel about him as head coach. But I'd say we could do worse.
But I'd also think Rondo would be good too. Just not proven.

Reactions: DM8 and JC43
He hosted a BBQ that was an NCAA violation and lied about it. How does that stack up with KU, Oregon, Arizona, and LSU getting caught buying players?

Dunno. NCAA dealt with Pearl. They haven’t addressed the other filth yet. Why don’t we let the last shoe drop before we just randomly making crap up?

Don’t think it was another violation but actually caught lying to the NCAA about the BBQ and trying to coerce the player to lie about it. Which is actually worse.

If you'll trace the history of it Brian you'll find that he still had a job after the BBQ thing. UT was going to dock his pay and bonuses, the SEC had decided to suspend him for some games and his recruiting was to be limited. Right about the time it was all settled he committed another violation and that's when Tennessee fired him and the ncaa dropped the hammer and said enough and banned him.

I have no ideal what he did, all information just mentions another violation.

Reactions: brianpoe
Pearl has nothing to do with the FBI investigation. Our assistant coach was in dire financial straights and started taking money to steer players to a financial adviser. Why would Bruce participate in that? He certainly didn't need the money and the violations did nothing to improve our team. If anything, it made guys more likely to go pro early.

Several years back the ncaa amended their rules and stated that the head coach was to be responsible for everything that happens under his program. See Pitino for a current example of that policy. If one his staff committed violations it should be the same as he did it according to the current rules. They never found that Pitino did anything wrong yet he was punished and fired.

Well you might have. Nobody that actually understood the situation said that.
lol..yea ok buddy...I guess it was just me and Matt Jones then. Actually, I wanted Cal here bad and did not care about the stuff he had supposedly done because it was not that serious. But nice attempt to live in denial, or maybe you are just 14 or 15.

If you'll trace the history of it Brian you'll find that he still had a job after the BBQ thing. UT was going to dock his pay and bonuses, the SEC had decided to suspend him for some games and his recruiting was to be limited. Right about the time it was all settled he committed another violation and that's when Tennessee fired him and the ncaa dropped the hammer and said enough and banned him.

I have no ideal what he did, all information just mentions another violation.

The Jordan Adams longer than usual passing by greeting violation....

The new charge against Pearl is an alleged improper contact on Sept. 14, 2010, with Jordan Adams, who was a junior basketball player at Oak Hill Academy in Virginia. The N.C.A.A. alleges that Pearl and the assistant coach Tony Jones had a two- to three-minute conversation with Adams before an Oak Hill practice.

Coaches can make casual greetings with juniors in passing off campus, but it is against N.C.A.A. rules to converse for a period of time with a player.

Reactions: JohnBlue_
I bet you would warship him if he came here.
220px-IN_Frigate_Malabar_07.jpg

Reactions: letitrainuk
Several years back the ncaa amended their rules and stated that the head coach was to be responsible for everything that happens under his program. See Pitino for a current example of that policy. If one his staff committed violations it should be the same as he did it according to the current rules. They never found that Pitino did anything wrong yet he was punished and fired.
I'm aware of the new rule. Unlike most of the other teams involved, we sat our players involved and self reported the violations. NCAA ruled our guys were eligible to play again after missing all of last year. (+9 more games for Purifoy) If the NCAA was going to sanction us further, they would have done so already based on the violations we self reported.

The Jordan Adams longer than usual passing by greeting violation....

The new charge against Pearl is an alleged improper contact on Sept. 14, 2010, with Jordan Adams, who was a junior basketball player at Oak Hill Academy in Virginia. The N.C.A.A. alleges that Pearl and the assistant coach Tony Jones had a two- to three-minute conversation with Adams before an Oak Hill practice.

Coaches can make casual greetings with juniors in passing off campus, but it is against N.C.A.A. rules to converse for a period of time with a player.
Thanks for finding that. I had heard there was another minor issue after the BBQ but never saw the details. Since Bruce got a show cause for that, what should the NCAA give Sean Miller, Will Wade and Bill Self?

Dunno. NCAA dealt with Pearl. They haven’t addressed the other filth yet. Why don’t we let the last shoe drop before we just randomly making crap up?
Making crap up? I am referring to the evidence that has already come out. Coaches are on tape talking about buying players and agents/shoe execs testified they were doing it at the request of the coaches.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood
Making crap up? I am referring to the evidence that has already come out. Coaches are on tape talking about buying players and agents/shoe execs testified they were doing it at the request of the coaches.

But you can’t compare the punishment. NCAA hasn’t ruled. Pearl may have gotten a hand slap by comparison. And there are a lot of rumors around the punkin’s picnic. Whole truth may not be out there either. Plus, one of punkin heads own staff is in the middle of this. Let’s see how it plays. I suspect the lying chest may be st least as guilty.

Cool story, thanks for sharing! Bruce is a very genuine guy. When he came to Auburn, he immediately set about trying to build a following as only our most hardcore fans paid attention to our crappy basketball team before he arrived. He knew we wouldn't be good for a few years, but he endeared himself to our fan base even when the team was hovering around .500. Before the UK game at Auburn last year, he bought a ton of food and took it out to the students who were waiting in line all day to get in the student section. He went down the line handing the food out and visiting with the students which is certainly not something most coaches would do.

Have you watched us this year? Our defense was better last year, but its improved a ton this year. Pearl put a huge emphasis on it during preseason camp. Most of the reports we got were about the team focusing on being better defensively. They played great D against Washington in that blowout. We couldn't hit a shot against Duke and hung into the game by playing hard on D. Last night, we switched to a zone the last 7 mins against zona and went on an 11-0 run and closed the game out 18-6 to hold them to 57 points for the game.

He won an SEC championship last year.

I don't think I would go that far. Cal has had a ton of success.

That's nice, return to your board please...

Rondo would be an interesting head coach, looked good in huddle with clipboard during lakers game.
I would love for Cal to groom him and hire him as special assistant. Wonder if Tyreke would be interested as well

I like Pearl and I think he'd do great here for 1 reason, he's been hunted. Just like Calipari. I think it's the number thing we need to be looking at when we hire the next guy. Kentucky is unlike almost any other job you are the hunted every game. You never get a day off doesn't matter if you're playing Duke, Auburn, or McNeese St. it's big time pressure every game. Every single day 24/7 365 getting a cup of coffee at Doughdaddy's going to dinner at Malone's whatever you do is a big deal and it takes a special kind to deal with that. It's one of the reasons I like Bobby Hurley in a vacuum here because he spent his entire life in a pressure cooker Bob Hurley's son, Duke star, suffered and survived a terrible car wreck that basically derailed his entire NBA career. It's easy to get teams fired up to go knock off Goliath once a year, it's a different skill entirely to get a bunch of Goliath's up to go knock David's head off day in and out.

Reactions: DM8
Um, he taped a guy who had just committed to another school, trying to get him to admit that the other school cheated to get him I.e. by giving him money and a car. It was dirty as hell. He's a rat plain and simple. I don't want a rat coaching UK.
I do love his competitive nature and he is an excellent coach. He's a great and easy villain for UK fans. But hell to the no of him being our coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT