ADVERTISEMENT

Brooks officially returning to UK

his father said watching PJ Washington and IQ played into his decision plus he says kentucky doesn’t have to be one and done! alright a dad with some sense!

Totally. I agree, I genuinely do. His dad seems great but to be fair Brooks had literally absolutely zero chance of being drafted and probably wouldn’t have even made the cut for G-league. There are also 30+ players who are much better than him who would take whatever spots are open for overseas ball.
Overseas ball obviously isn’t as much $$$ as the NBA but most teams/ countries offer solid six figure+ annually along with free gear, free hotel room stays, team trainers and doctors, sometimes even nice apartments and houses, endorsements and you better believe college guys AND NBA guys who have been cut off and on are going to be putting their all into making those teams. That’s why I don’t understand so many on here hating and bashing when players “may end up overseas”. If you are a player like Hagans (I don’t think he’ll ever be a solid player in the NBA) or Ullis, Briscoe, Teague etc making a solid $100,00k PLUS amenities and possible endorsement $ is a pretty good gig if you think about it. All at like 20 years old. For the guys who never will be quite good enough for the NBA and it’s apparent, then overseas is an excellent “backup” option. Not to mention you’re still being paid BANK to freaking play basketball.

I’m sure they have looked at PJ etc and thought it was smart and hope to be like them but he had no other choice really, other than transferring.

Edit- I want to reiterate that I am very tired of the one and done and hope the nba and NCAA somehow come to a straight from high school/ 2 year type rule.

Last edited:
Reactions: UKWildcatT
Totally. I agree, I genuinely do. His dad seems great but to be fair Brooks had literally absolutely zero chance of being drafted and probably wouldn’t have even made the cut for G-league. There are also 30+ players who are much better than him who would take whatever spots are open for overseas ball.
Overseas ball obviously isn’t as much $$$ as the NBA but most teams/ countries offer solid six figure+ annually along with free gear, free hotel room stays, team trainers and doctors, sometimes even nice apartments and houses, endorsements and you better believe college guys AND NBA guys who have been cut off and on are going to be putting their all into making those teams.

I’m sure they have looked at PJ etc and thought it was smart and hope to be like them but he had no other choice really, other than transferring.

agreed.

I think PJ’s skill set is better, but I think Brooks has more energy and can be a better defender. Maybe this year Brooks offense sharpens

agreed.

I think PJ’s skill set is better, but I think Brooks has more energy and is a better defender. Maybe this year Brooks offense sharpens
Brooks is a jack of all trades player he can do it all he just has to work on his jumpshot and he’ll be a double double machine and he needs to work this summer not like EJ who came back overweight

Please bring back EJ too at least good god he's nowhere near ready for pro ball at any level
Don’t matter when you play for Kentucky. You have to leave if you were a 5 star recruit and have been here at least 2 years. Who cares if it’s an awful decision and you’ll never make an NBA roster? He has nothing to prove and returning to UK would be such a burden on him, just ask his dad.

Don’t matter when you play for Kentucky. You have to leave if you were a 5 star recruit and have been here at least 2 years. Who cares if it’s an awful decision and you’ll never make an NBA roster? He has nothing to prove and returning to UK would be such a burden on him, just ask his dad.
AAU culture

so as of now..

pg askew
sg clarke
sg boston
pf brooks

sf allen
sf fletcher
pf ware
pf jackson

at the very least you need a combo guard and post player. am assuming we’ll get at least that. who ever it is should have experience because as flashy as we will look we will be pretty raw. askew’s role and judgement will be quite magnified.

Last edited:
so as of now..

pg askew
sg clarke
sg boston
pf brooks

sf allen
sf fletcher
pf ware

at the very least you need a combo guard and post player. am assuming we’ll get at least that. who ever it is should have experience because as flashy as we will look we will be pretty raw. askew’s role and judgement will be quite magnified.

I love the cats and I am always a believer and have good trust in Cal but I can’t help but think that team, as it is now, just won’t be a true contender. More S16 type. I truly hope I am wrong (and have been wrong in the past). If we were for sure getting IQ and Nick/EJ back then it would be a very different story.

Last edited:
I'm not pumping up Haarms to be something he's not, but I think having a legit center to play alongside would help Brooks tremendously. Should free him up to do more things and be more versatile, like we saw in the Florida game. As opposed to having EJ in there not hustling, bricking long jumpers, and not really making anyone else better.

Really hoping Cal can land Haarms.

so as of now..

pg askew
sg clarke
sg boston
pf brooks

sf allen
sf fletcher
pf ware

Don’t forget 5 star Jackson

I love the cats and I am always a believer and have good trust in Cal but I can’t help but think that team, as it is now, just won’t be a true contender. More S16 type. I truly hope I am wrong (and have been wrong in the past). If we were for sure getting IQ and Nick/EJ back then it would be a few different story.
it all depends on if they buy in defensively and have another player emerge in there. also we’ll need a stud transfer or two that we don’t have to worry about but would only help with experience. we’ll have a lot of big games and the chance that there is enough defensive and toughness improvement to be a contender by year’s end will probably be there. point is a lot would have to happen.

Very talented player. I’m expecting to see a lot of improvement from him. You can see it when he plays.

I love the cats and I am always a believer and have good trust in Cal but I can’t help but think that team, as it is now, just won’t be a true contender. More S16 type. I truly hope I am wrong (and have been wrong in the past). If we were for sure getting IQ and Nick/EJ back then it would be a very different story.
That team is weak at PG and down low. Hope we plug those holes before the season starts.

Brooks reminds me of Taurean Prince. I can see him ending up averaging 12 13 ppg 6 or 7 Rpg. He has a decent looking shot needs to work his butt of on 3 pointers and adding strength and the skies the limit.

This has the feel they are going to announce all the obvious decisions early and build up to the key decisions that are somewhat in question. I look for EJ and Quickley to be the last announcements.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT