ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Brief camp notes....

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
Hope to have more on names/specifics of those who attended but some observations...

Looked like a great group when everybody was getting ready for testing. Lots of guys from Glenville in Ohio. Most of their top guys. Good for them to get familiarity with UK. One of their top guys camping was Bryce West, one of several impressive defensive backs. He's Rivals100 from 2024 and will have offers from everywhere, already has many.

Speaking of Glenville, I like where UK stands with LB Arvell Reese. As we've known, probably OSU and UK and a big variable is whether the Buckeyes push hard. He looks like he's a legit 6'4ish maybe 215 and is going to fill out to be a really good looking edge. If I had to guess I'd wager that UK gets him but nobody told me that.

UK RB commit Kaden Moorman made an appearance but did not camp. He has a rock solid lower body. His calves are crazy.

UK OL/DL target Adrian Griffin from Fairfield, AL made the trip up with QB Eric Handley, a three-star. Griffin actually looks like he has a really solid build. I could see him developing into a quality offensive guard prospect. In the one on ones he had some struggles on a couple of reps we saw. He's camped at some big-time places including Alabama and Auburn. Wolford and Sumrall are keeping up with him from their respective schools.

As for Handley, he was one of a couple of quarterbacks that Scangarello took over from the main field at Kroger to the practice fields. Has some good qualities and is someone to keep an eye on.

More notably, QB Dante Reno did not show up. I'll need to talk to him, but it could be that with UK going all in on O'Neal and Reno rumored to be leaning South Carolina, this could be showing his hand. I think if Coen were around then Reno could very well end up at UK but Scangarello telling O'Neil he's No. 1 was a pretty significant tell. Don't read TOO much into him waiting until January. Would be better if he decided this summer but you understand a kid wanting to see how offenses fare especially with all the coaching turnover everywhere.

In-state prospect Woo Spencer, No. 1 in KY per Rivals, had some really nice moments in one on ones. He has been focused on academics so far this summer but made an appearance and thought he held up well in 1 on 1s. Looked like a good prospect. If everything is in order I'd imagine he would be a take on the offensive line, which is where he worked out.

Tim Couch's son, Chase, looked really good in 1 on 1s. He's a 2024 who is a late bloomer. I talked to Tim about him and he confirmed pretty much everything we had heard about him as a late bloomer. Dog work ethic, sprinted through all the drills. Tim told me he played quarterback up until 7th grade but I think as you could imagine, those are some big shoes to fill and this position is probably a better fit for how he's developed. Not sure where he ends up but he was solid out there.

Solid looking group of defensive backs that Chris Collins and Frank Buffano were working with. Some solid OL/DL talent as well. A couple of interesting quarterbacks.

DeAndre Square looks as good as I've seen him physically. I remember him coming in rail thin as a SS/OLB hybrid prospect and he got bigger but he's now bigger and really cut. Speaking of cut, Tim Couch looks like he could still play as you might have seen in that picture floating around recently.

I wouldn't say it was the highest energy event I've ever seen at UK but remember for a lot of these guys they said it was their last camp this summer or for a while and coaches had been tied up with official visits this weekend. Overall a solid amount of talent and some interesting storyline updates.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.