ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking: Amari Williams will remain committed to UK

Petersen’s dad said they weren’t reclassing anymore due to all the coaching changes. He’s a 25 kid
I could be wrong but he opened his recruitment back up due to the coaching changes. His dad didn't say there weren't reclassing due to the coaching changes. They have always maintained they were staying in 25, as most do it doesn't mean anything.

Agreed. It would be an unwise decision, in my opinion. If I'm a coach looking a guy who had already left 2 schools (Drexel and UK) for what? Money, playing time, NBA exposure? And why? Because his friend didn't sign or he's afraid of competition? It's not a good look, as I said last night.

But I have a feeling I know how that conversation went with Pope, who is a smart guy and has lived long enough and played enough and coached enough to know these things, he likely told Williams that UK is gonna be his best opportunity for everything he's hoping to accomplish, and Pope would be right about that. He probably also suggested that making a knee-jerk kind of decision is often not a wise choice. Competition is gonna be everywhere, especially in the NBA. So, if he wants to improve, get stronger, and really prepare for the NBA, this team and coaching staff is gonna get him there. Keep a good attitude, work hard every day, and watch it happen.

For my part, I'm glad he's still with us. He's gonna be a big part of this team.
I imagine he also told him that he has to build a roster, that as head coach he is there to win games, and that anyone could get hurt at any time.

I feel like it may have had more to do with them signing Garrison over Osabor since it was rumored they wanted to play together. I think Osabor would have been ours had Garrison not jumped in. Just my opinion. If it was fear of PT, then these guys need to start realizing there are more than 5 players on a roster and their has to be backups and other options at every position.

I still don't get why he ever wanted to leave. Tons of playing time.
That agent is known to be a scumbag only out for money. Word is he has no ethics or loyalty, not even to some of his clients. He's 100% opportunistic, and I wouldn't be surprised to see all sorts of BS from this guy (not the player, the agent) throughout the year if for whatever reason Amari is not getting the right playing time, or he's killing it and this agent goes back to the NIL table and demands more halfway through the season.

This is what we're going to have to deal with, so I hope Pope has managed to get the right GM/NIL manager (isn't this Fox?) that can handle the absurdity that will be coming from these agents, players, handlers and families.

NOTE: This is not an indictment of the player, but rather their agents that will be creating all sorts of situations like this one moving forward. I'm excited about Amari and glad whatever it was that leaked out (probably by the agent) was resolved by Pope and team.

I could be wrong but he opened his recruitment back up due to the coaching changes. His dad didn't say there weren't reclassing due to the coaching changes. They have always maintained they were staying in 25, as most do it doesn't mean anything.
You are right too. They kinda just said both due to the changes. Here were the quotes:

"Just reaching out to let you know our recruitment has totally opened back. It's no longer eight schools," the elder Peterson told.

There was some speculation that Peterson could reclass to 2024. His father has confirmed that Peterson is planning to stay in the class of 2025. "After talking to Darryn earlier (the) final answer is that we are no longer considering a reclass. We will stay in 2025," he added.

Everyone claims they are staying in their class so they can qualify to play in the peach jam. He will be 24

That agent is known to be a scumbag only out for money. Word is he has no ethics or loyalty, not even to some of his clients. He's 100% opportunistic, and I wouldn't be surprised to see all sorts of BS from this guy (not the player, the agent) throughout the year if for whatever reason Amari is not getting the right playing time, or he's killing it and this agent goes back to the NIL table and demands more halfway through the season.

This is what we're going to have to deal with, so I hope Pope has managed to get the right GM/NIL manager (isn't this Fox?) that can handle the absurdity that will be coming from these agents, players, handlers and families.

NOTE: This is not an indictment of the player, but rather their agents that will be creating all sorts of situations like this one moving forward. I'm excited about Amari and glad whatever it was that leaked out (probably by the agent) was resolved by Pope and team.
I can't see what Williams was worried about anyway; he averaged 22 mpg last year at Drexel. If he only got 16 mpg at UK that's a huge step better and now he's getting paid. We'll never know but I'm betting Pope was straight and stern with him and it likely ended with Williams saying "I'm all in Coach!".

oh yeah GIF

Everyone claims they are staying in their class so they can qualify to play in the peach jam. He will be 24
Which is why I said as most do it doesn't mean anything. Although there have been some that we all thought would reclass and didn't.

That story came out and then there was a story about how he loved being committed to UK that came out at the same time too. It really all is pretty weird to say the least
Yeah, I think that article about how thrilled he was about coming to UK was BEFORE he began to question things, after his buddy Osobor decided not to sign and Brandon Garrison came instead. But it was a legitimate thing that happened based on everything I've read and this post from Givony. Pope met with him and apparently talked him down, which is a good sign.

Yeah it makes you wonder how bad this gets. Got a feeling that there’s to be more powerful and influential agents as this develops. If you follow baseball any, Scott Boras comes to mind in this. He has some the biggest names in baseball as clients and he is known to be the aggressive, greedy type. I fear it will just get worse.

Reactions: TheDude73
No. Must have been something to it if Pope went to visit him.
Like I said yesterday we needed to trust our coaching staff if that rumor was true. It wasn’t worth people yesterday freaking out about it because nothing happened. He’s still a Cat because Pope took care of business. Stuff like this happens in recruiting.

Reactions: Cold Stout Beer
I fully trust Pope and his judgement. He is in no position at this time to have to deal with an issue like this so he had to do what he had to do to potentially stop the flood gates from opening. This is why character should be and is a big part of considering who you want on your team. I think it would have been disastrous for the young man if he walked. Why would any other coach trust that he wouldn't do the same thing to them?

Reactions: Girthang

Reading this chips another piece of my love of college basketball away.

Dude, I think you should look up the definition of "agent". lol
Yes I understand the job of an agent.

My point was beyond this sentence, however. There are agents that do what's best for their clients, then there are the ones that don't have a shred of decency in going about their jobs. That this agent decided to shop his player for whatever reason after already committing to a school, literally on the last day of the portal, is crap.

And regardless of your defense of an agent's purpose, I'm sure you see my point and agree (unless you're an agent or one of those ultra-capitalists that think capitalism is best when ethics-free).

Yes I understand the job of an agent.

My point was beyond this sentence, however. There are agents that do what's best for their clients, then there are the ones that don't have a shred of decency in going about their jobs. That this agent decided to shop his player for whatever reason after already committing to a school, literally on the last day of the portal, is crap.

And regardless of your defense of an agent's purpose, I'm sure you see my point and agree (unless you're an agent or one of those ultra-capitalists that think capitalism is best when ethics-free).
Dude, I wasn't trying to explain to you about agents or defending agents; it was a joke about all agents being scumbags that only care about money. I didn't think I'd have to explain that to you.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: TheDude73
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT