ADVERTISEMENT

Brad White...

We'll see how the D does this year.
With all respect vcat70, With Coach Stoops as our Head Coach, the Defensive side of the ball is something we won’t ever have to worry about again. It really didn’t matter who had the title of DC, it’s going to be team effort until he gets where Mark thinks he can do it by himself anyway. Even then he’s always going to be a big part of the the defense, and we would’nt want it any other way. Lol.

Everything is just falling into place for this program and it’s starting to have that different feel! You guys know what I mean!! There’s not another program in America with as much upside as Kentucky at this point, and truly, the sky is the limit for us. Not that there isn’t better teams, of course, just as far as the way we’re on the rise.

What I mean is, Like Georgia, Bama, and a few other programs that are already at the top, there’s not as much room for improvement. But we’re coming for the ashes!! Literally from the bottom of the pack. Lol. We’ve been steadily climbing, I’d say a we’re a top Twenty five overall program right now and are getting very close to top twenty! If we have another year close to the one we just had, say 9+ wins, in my eyes we’ll move up into top 15. Which would be amazing considering where we’ve came from.

My guess is we’re only moving forward from here and even if we don’t win ten games next year, as long as we’re in the games and compete, nothing can stop this program from growing into a Championship contending caliber team !! I know it looks like I’m kinda rambling, but I really want soo bad for Kentucky to keep growing and competing for that East title. To me that would be worth all the years of tailgating just to tailgate!! Lol. Now I’d still listen to the game and even go in most the times but you know what I mean.

It would be a dream come turn for Me and to do it would be unreal and of course it would make us a legitimate contender for the playoffs! Once we get there, anything could happen and with the way the BIGBLUE travels and takes over, we would have a chance. Guys I hope we continue to improve and go farther than any of us though possible a few years ago, but I’ll promise you, I’ll be there no matter if we win two or 15. I love my cats and can’t wait to see what happens next ! Thanks guys.

The right choice. He's been extremely impressive in his time here. I don't know if this will rankle Hood a bit, hopefully they're all on board and will work together without any jealousy. There's
always trepidation with a first time signal caller, but having Hood and Stoops will ease that. He's just such a rising star right now, best to wrap him up into a great job.
I’d almost bet that if Dean truly wanted to have the job and was seriously wanting to put that much time into it he would’ve told Coach Stoops and it would’ve been hard to say no to him. I’d say he would’ve gotten the job to be honest. He’s at the point in his life that he’s got it made and that job is for a someone ready to live that 24-7 life. Lol love the hire though and Coach Hood will be right there to help everyone I’m sure. He’s a hell of a man and I’m sure ten years ago he’d took it in a heartbeat. We’re very lucky to have him. Thanks stubborn 1/5 of a nickel! Hahahahaha

When I read something like this, I want you to email Stoops and tell him. He needs football guys who understand the SEC to advise him on his decisions about coaching decisions. He may not fully comprehend the SEC experience.

Is it possible that White is an up and coming coaching star and that giving him this kind of opportunity to work with Stoops and his mentor, Dean, as a new DC is going to greatly benefit UK? Hood, Sumrall, Clink and Stoops all have DC experience. Yet, Stoops picked White. What should that say about Stoops’ impression of White?
What do you mean? Look how much HC experience Mark Stoops had when, I mean um...never mind

No coordinator experience. The SEC is not where you let someone cut their teeth. I hope he does fine, but i feel we should of went with someone with experience to keep our momentum.
UK was fortunate to hire Brad White a year ago. You have to know the history to get what is happening now. White was available because Chuck Pagano got fired in Indy. White played college football under Dean Hood when Hood was the DC at Wake Forest. Hood was the reason UK was able to jump in and hire White.

Last year, the secondary needed help and that’s why Hood was moved. He is doing a great job there, but we are losing all our starters. His teaching will be needed back there even more now. White is getting the DC job with Hood’s blessing.

If Stoops had not promoted White, we would have lost him to a bigger job somewhere else within a year. But Hood isn’t going anywhere. At this point in building the program, Stoops could have brought in an experienced DC if that was the call. Promoting White means they think they have an up and coming star there. Like all things, this will be proven or not by the performance. But Stoops is looking out into the future.

UK was fortunate to hire Brad White a year ago. You have to know the history to get what is happening now. White was available because Chuck Pagano got fired in Indy. White played college football under Dean Hood when Hood was the DC at Wake Forest. Hood was the reason UK was able to jump in and hire White.

Last year, the secondary needed help and that’s why Hood was moved. He is doing a great job there, but we are losing all our starters. His teaching will be needed back there even more now. White is getting the DC job with Hood’s blessing.

If Stoops had not promoted White, we would have lost him to a bigger job somewhere else within a year. But Hood isn’t going anywhere. At this point in building the program, Stoops could have brought in an experienced DC if that was the call. Promoting White means they think they have an up and coming star there. Like all things, this will be proven or not by the performance. But Stoops is looking out into the future.

We were also fortunate to have the NCAA permit that extra coach. Stoops handled that addition wisely.

Well, Hell! There goes an evening of arguing. :p

Peace

Oh stick around, we need someone to pick on.

I am a little surprised at the amount of optimism in your fair city, and the basketball team is (was?) doing very well, do you think football recovers as soon as some of the writers seem to think, or is that them just doing their job.

Reactions: Ky grandpa

Thanks for the history lesson, very encouraging to me. Looks like we were in the right place at the right time a few times lately.

You do realize Clink got us in on McCall and Square
Of course. But most members of our coaching staff have brought in important players. Schlarman recruited Drake Jackson, Landon Young, and Logan Stenberg. Darin Hinshaw recruited Nik Scalzo and DeMarcus Harris and is recruiting Richard Leonard now. Dean Hood recruited Max Duffy and Chance Poore. Michael Smith recruited Amani Gilmore. Clinkscale is a good recruiter. My concern about Clinkscale is coaching and development. When Clinkscale took over the secondary from Ansley, the play of the secondary got noticeably worse fairly quickly. When Hood moved to the secondary, the play of the secondary got a lot better fairly quickly. Maybe it was a coincidence, but I don't think so.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Hated when we lost Ansley I agree our DBs fell off some when Clink took over. We also lost Dupree and Z Smith the year before he came here could have some effect on our coverage. Really like Hood seems like everywhere they plug him in that area improves.

Reactions: Ky grandpa and Shew
Hated when we lost Ansley I agree our DBs fell off some when Clink took over. We also lost Dupree and Z Smith the year before he came here could have some effect on our coverage. Really like Hood seems like everywhere they plug him in that area improves.
I think our defensive line struggles are much more of the reason our DBs struggled than the coaching change. Not saying Ansley wasn't great.

Oh stick around, we need someone to pick on.

I am a little surprised at the amount of optimism in your fair city, and the basketball team is (was?) doing very well, do you think football recovers as soon as some of the writers seem to think, or is that them just doing their job.
I try to avoid "UofL posts" over here unless specifically asked or it is pertinent to the thread. But since you asked.....[laughing]

Yes, I think so. But we must actually see next season and the 2020 recruiting class to have any real basis to support that opinion.

2018 was not a "bad luck season"; these were embarrassing lop sided defeats. I can find no rationale for a crash and burn 2-10 season following a string of 8 or 9 win seasons other than a team that simply quit. And coaching always plays a huge role in teams that quit.

Regarding talent, by virtually all accounts the roster had some holes but was still well above a 2 win season. Over the past 4 years (2015-2018) the Cards recruiting rankings averaged #32 and most of those guys were on the roster. (FWIW, the Cats average ranking during those years was #30.) This seemingly brings us back to coaching issues more so than talent issues.

IMO, the Petrino staff was very suspect and his "offensive emphasis" made it difficult for staffers to attract talent or practice defense. Scuttlebutt was Grantham was very unhappy and it has been absolute chaos on defense since he left.

I fully supported Tyra's decision to pull the trigger. By all accounts Satterfield and all of his assistants have been very well received by the team. We will see how 2019 goes but I think last year's gross ineptitude had more to do with a dysfunctional staff than an untalented team. All, of course, JMO. [winking]

Peace

I agree. My biggest concern is his organization and structure of the entire unit. Stoops and hood will help with that.

I think schematically, white will be fine and maybe great. Think about this - house and stoops had that incredible group of juniors and only had a mediocre defense. One year later the unit became one of the nation's best. Was it white? Did the unit really improve that much organically in that one year?
I think it was a combination of White and Hood coaching DB’s, his expertise.

I try to avoid "UofL posts" over here unless specifically asked or it is pertinent to the thread. But since you asked.....[laughing]

Yes, I think so. But we must actually see next season and the 2020 recruiting class to have any real basis to support that opinion.

2018 was not a "bad luck season"; these were embarrassing lop sided defeats. I can find no rationale for a crash and burn 2-10 season following a string of 8 or 9 win seasons other than a team that simply quit. And coaching always plays a huge role in teams that quit.

Regarding talent, by virtually all accounts the roster had some holes but was still well above a 2 win season. Over the past 4 years (2015-2018) the Cards recruiting rankings averaged #32 and most of those guys were on the roster. (FWIW, the Cats average ranking during those years was #30.) This seemingly brings us back to coaching issues more so than talent issues.

IMO, the Petrino staff was very suspect and his "offensive emphasis" made it difficult for staffers to attract talent or practice defense. Scuttlebutt was Grantham was very unhappy and it has been absolute chaos on defense since he left.

I fully supported Tyra's decision to pull the trigger. By all accounts Satterfield and all of his assistants have been very well received by the team. We will see how 2019 goes but I think last year's gross ineptitude had more to do with a dysfunctional staff than an untalented team. All, of course, JMO. [winking]

Peace

Thanks, nice post. But of course I am not as optimistic as you are about your program, I think that jurich cut a lot of corners and gave your teams a lot of advantages not available at most schools, And of course there could be more repercussions from the (incompetent) NCAA, so who knows what happens there.

I used to root for your team a long time ago, it would be nice to give up some of the negativity I feel toward the program. Wouldn't even mind if they start winning again-------a win over you would be worth more for our strength of schedule, lol.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT