ADVERTISEMENT

Bowles to UK

Will he be playing Guard exclusively?

I would imagine he is the reason John Young is transferring.

Anyone know his current weight? I saw 6'5" 280# Seems a bit underweight. Perhaps this hasn't been updated in awhile? Just curious.

Bowles from Alabama just committed to UK on KSR nice pickup!!
It's good news, but I would caution fans not to make more of this than it is. He was a "four star" and he went to AL. To some, then, this will make him seem like an impact player. But Bowles is an interior lineman, not an OT. Competition is always good. We have Burton, Bingham, Rodriguez, and possibly Horsey coming back at OG. If Horsey comes back, he will start at OG next year. If Horsey does not come back, then Bowles might win the RG job. I realize there is a component of our fan base that has already passed judgment on Burton as a redshirt freshman. But Burton is going to be an excellent SEC player, and this year is just the hardest part of his early learning curve. I doubt Bowles can beat out Burton, but that is what spring practice is for. Another possibility would be having Bowles compete with Cox for the starting C job. Quality competition only helps. Worst case, Bowles would be important interior depth piece. He has 2 more years of eligibility, so that is nice. Good to have him. May or may not be an upgrade compared to John Young, but time will tell.

It's good news, but I would caution fans not to make more of this than it is. He was a "four star" and he went to AL. To some, then, this will make him seem like an impact player. But Bowles is an interior lineman, not an OT. Competition is always good. We have Burton, Bingham, Rodriguez, and possibly Horsey coming back at OG. If Horsey comes back, he will start at OG next year. If Horsey does not come back, then Bowles might win the RG job. I realize there is a component of our fan base that has already passed judgment on Burton as a redshirt freshman. But Burton is going to be an excellent SEC player, and this year is just the hardest part of his early learning curve. I doubt Bowles can beat out Burton, but that is what spring practice is for. Another possibility would be having Bowles compete with Cox for the starting C job. Quality competition only helps. Worst case, Bowles would be important interior depth piece. He has 2 more years of eligibility, so that is nice. Good to have him. May or may not be an upgrade compared to John Young, but time will tell.
Bowles also has C experience so a backup to Cox also figures in plus UK won't have to rush Keenum. The guy had 7 SEC offers coming out of HS so others thought he could play too.

It will be interesting to see where he is on the depth chart. Burton, Bingham, Wally, Jones, Rodriguez, Ramsey and maybe Horsey are a lot of big boy guards on the roster. Possibly bringing in two transfer OT's to go with Flax, Goodwin, Buford, Hall and Wood, along with centers Cox, Keenum and Padgett, he will have his hands full IMO. The couple of times I saw him in high school I remember him being bigger than everybody, liked to pancake people and just seemed like he enjoyed being an enforcer on the field. I am sure he got humbled down at Alabama, so will be interesting to see how he matches up with our roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rembrandt90
Bowles also has C experience so a backup to Cox also figures in plus UK won't have to rush Keenum. The guy had 7 SEC offers coming out of HS so others thought he could play too.
I agree, and I said it is good to have him. But I don 't think this is an impact development for 2023, and I offered my reasons. It might be more of an impact development for 2024 though.

Yes, which is why it's difficult to watch so many of our players hit the portal...but I get it, they want to play.
Kavosiey Smoke, John Young, Chauncey Magwood, and Chris Lewis are the only UK players to hit the portal so far who might have played significant roles in 2023. With Tanner Bowles coming in, the loss of Young is moot now. With Shamar Porter coming, we will be getting another prodigy at WR, and I strongly suspect Stoops will get a couple of receivers out of the portal. The RB situation is a concern for our bowl game, but I expect multiple RBs who will contribute in 2023 to come in the recruiting class and through the portal. I just hope one of them is an alpha dog.

A four star that went to Alabama is being scoffed at? Ya'll realize the type of talent Bama gets, right? Even if he isn't a starter next year it's huge to have another body in our rotation.

Stoops has turned some of you people into animals.

If the guy was coming straight out of high school and he was a four star and he was from Kentucky we will be celebrating like a mofo right now.

Instead we got a four-star player that went to Alabama four seasons has seen bowl championships and played with lots of great players and now he's going to come back to his home state.
I remind you that guys end up playing harder when they play for their home state lots of time.

This is a good solid pickup on the offensive line and I'm happy about it. We need a few more just like this or better.
I mean we're paying the coach more than the basketball coach which is ****ing stupid, donating 15 cents to the nil, and so.... there better be something in recruiting coming.

Or u ain't getting our 15 cents. I'm sorry but my post turned into a sarcastic nil diatribe.
To me there are five levels of fan nil
Level 1. 15 cents 👈
Level 2 1.50
Level 3 15.00
Level 4. $150
Level 5. Your a fukn idiot

Last edited:
Bowles from Alabama just committed to UK on KSR nice pickup!!
Yes nice pickup
Also can play in spots of need

86ChevyC10swbBlue_0k_poster.jpg

Bowles was never dominate in HS in Ky...I could care less of the star rating. His potential was a long kid with some feet that could beef up and play tackle one day. He never did that and moving him inside....he's not an impact player IMO. He was never 2nd string and Bama had a bad Oline by their standards last year and not too great this year.

Bowles is fine for depth...but not a big deal. I hope this portal stuff does nto push away Bingham or Hall's development as they both are good looking guard prospects.

Keidron Smith and Jacquez Jones were both 3rd string at Ole Miss and they both helped us out atUK the last year or two Maybe Tanner does the same

Bowles was never dominate in HS in Ky...I could care less of the star rating. His potential was a long kid with some feet that could beef up and play tackle one day. He never did that and moving him inside....he's not an impact player IMO. He was never 2nd string and Bama had a bad Oline by their standards last year and not too great this year.

Bowles is fine for depth...but not a big deal. I hope this portal stuff does nto push away Bingham or Hall's development as they both are good looking guard prospects.
🙄

This is , as many have said, a nice pickup.

At his floor, he can rotate across all 3 IOL positions and assure we have stability on the interior

At its best, we gained a quality starter on the OL that can help foster a better development timeline for the Big Blue Wall

Remember, under Schlarman, our BBW was built with 7-9 OL rotating to create depth (and maintain health). This move helps us move back to that proven model

Reactions: rudd1
No they weren’t. I believe Jones was Ole Miss’ leading tackler his last year there
Thank you...the make up crap crowd loves their fantasy land. Jones was their leading tackler and Keidron was in between CB and Safety (he wanted to be a full time CB and he had a chance here...and was 2nd team SEC on one poll).

Bowles is fine to get...especially with Young gone. But he was not a backup at Bama...quite a differnce in other transfer kids.

I know I'm on the Buford band wagon....but again I call BS on this. We have no idea if we had any depth or not. Buford out played Flax every time he got snaps...and then back to the bench.

Q Wilson was never great but decent in reserve 2 years ago and last year....this year he never plays but Burton was a disaster all year round.

Goodwin was a 5* kid....he never plays a single down.

So, I am not sold our depth is solved with Bowles. And even if it is, Yenser has shown zero signs he has enough sense to use it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT