ADVERTISEMENT

Bourbon question

JonathanW

All-American
Jan 3, 2003
What's your favorite bourbon for each price tier?

What's your favorite bourbon mixed drink?
Does brand matter if using bourbon for mixed drinks?

Pappy for the top tier.
Weller special reserve for every day drinking.
Buffalo Trace for a more low end.

Favorite mixed drink is Bourbon/Sprite/7Up/GingerAle

Brand doesn’t matter as much but there is still a noticeable taste difference between brands.

My favorite cocktail is sometimes called a Gold Rush: honey bourbon, regular bourbon, triple sec and lemonade. Sweet/tart mix is really nice and you can make it fairly benign or really, really strong and the overall taste of the cocktail stays pretty consistent. Especially in hot weather, it's a nice refreshing cocktail.

Elijah Craig or Jim Beam Black for low-tier
Makers for mid-tier
Woodford and Buffalo Trace for high-tier

.. don't really go much higher than that, unless we're talking ultra-high tier, special occassion, etc.. Maybe a bottle of Blantons if I can get it not too pricey, but otherwise it would be things like higher end Wellers, Jeffersons, Old Forester if I'm feeling myself.

Pappy for the top tier.
Weller special reserve for every day drinking.
Buffalo Trace for a more low end.

Favorite mixed drink is Bourbon/Sprite/7Up/GingerAle

Brand doesn’t matter as much but there is still a noticeable taste difference between brands.

Truthfully, this is probably what Bourbon drinkers would define as the "tiers".. but for almost everyone else, and even casual Bourbon drinkers, you're a snob lol.

• Haha
Reactions: hunterm11
Lower tier/strictly as a mixer: Jim Beam or Evan Williams
Mid tier/with water: Woodford or Knob Creek or small batch Wild Turkey
Upper tier/bragging: I don't participate in this tier as I'm cheap and don't have enough of a sophisticated palate to discern really fine/expensive bourbon from Woodford or Knob Creek. Basically, I'm a hillbilly in a button down shirt.

I jsut tried pappy for the first time after the Ohio game (neighbor had it). Wow. And i mean wow.

My go to is Woodford.
Woodford, in old fashioneds. at this point, i've made more than most bar tenders, and i prefer to do it myself.

i enjoyed an old, small batch bottle of hilltop my wife had gotten me a decade ago. too bad we didn't buy more.

Upper tier. Obviously the Van Winkle bourbons and the 13 yr Rye, and George T Stagg and Eagle Rare 17 yr. The middle tier would be Bulleit 10 yr, Jefferson’s Reserve and Noah’s Mill. The lower tier would be Old Forester Signature 100, Wild Turkey 101 , Elijah Craig Small Batch and Evan Eilliams 1783. We all have different taste buds but Weller Special Reserve is swill. That was a $9 bottle of bourbon from 2000- 2015 or so. Flavor hasn’t changed but the price sure has. Never bought it then and won’t buy it now. The Weller Antique 107 is one of the finest out here but the problem is that it is never out there.

Truthfully, this is probably what Bourbon drinkers would define as the "tiers".. but for almost everyone else, and even casual Bourbon drinkers, you're a snob lol.
I agree completely. There are lower bourbons than Buffalo Trace but that’s as low as I will go. I fully admit as Bourbons go I am definitely a snob.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Now that I'm hooked on Glenlivet 18 yr I don't drink much bourbon anymore but when I do... Larceny (cheap) and Angel's Envy (mid priced).

I have yet to drink a high priced bourbon worth the money, and yes, that includes Pappy 23.

Reactions: krazykats
My little brother purchased 2 bottles of Colonel E.H. Taylor Small Batch from the distillery. He gifted me one, which I'm taking to Germany next month. Around $125-$150 bottle. I'm not a normal bourbon drinker, but making an exception for upcoming Thanksgiving.

463429820_10232142542926892_8523635555172966966_n.jpg

My little brother purchased 2 bottles of Colonel E.H. Taylor Small Batch from the distillery. He gifted me one, which I'm taking to Germany next month. Around $125-$150 bottle. I'm not a normal bourbon drinker, but making an exception for upcoming Thanksgiving.

463429820_10232142542926892_8523635555172966966_n.jpg
I got a bottle of that for Christmas a few years back. Was saving it for a final four appearance.

Sigh.

Reactions: AustinTXCat
Blanton's
Woodford Double Oaked
Woodford
Henry McKenna for Mixing

I like Wild Turkey, but after loosing the UT game in 2007, and drinking waaayyyy tooo much Wild Turkey in the stands...I have shied away from it since then. That loss was a crushing blow to my Wild Turkey game...

Currently hitting these...
McKenna 10
Woodford DO
Knob 9 yr (incredible value)
Eagle Rare
Buff. Tr.
JD Single Barrel Select

Low tier go tos that I can find regularly:

-4 Roses (all iterations)
-Elijah Craig
-Old Forester
-Woodford

Mid tier:

-Heaven Hill BoB
-Russel Reserve 15
-Blantons
-Eagle Rare

High tier:

-Don’t go this high

Tried the traveler bourbon the other day that was great and what I would consider low tier.

I love making cocktails and two of my go tos are manhattans and old fashioneds. Yes the bourbon matters. But going more high end than woodford or 4 roses for these is a waste imo Woodford double oaked in a Manhattan is money imo

Top Tier (Birthday Bourbons): George T Stagg and to me it isn't close (most years)
Second Tier (Allocated): Blanton's (Gold or Straight from the barel)
Lower Tier (Open Shelf): Woodford reserve

Lot's of others that I love but those are my top 3 at each level.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT