ADVERTISEMENT

Borzello's updated way too early top 25

He has a national title in a short career. He was ran out of UConn as a scapegoat for their cheating, and if you need further proof see the multi million dollar lawsuit he won afterwards but I digress, I don’t care about Ollie or UConn so trash away

Seems like he took Calhoun's system and players and ran with it.. and after that title, he only went downhill.
I actually don't mind Uconn, hence all the friends and acquaintances that are Uconn fans.. But I don't think one of them liked Ollie as a coach.

He had the title... and then 1 other tournament appearance. Sure, the title is "technically" his, but you'd think he could have done a little more in the 3-4 years after.. but he didn't. And that's mainly why Uconn fans wanted him gone.

2014#7Second Round
Third Round
Sweet Sixteen
Elite Eight
Final Four
National Championship
#10 Saint Joseph's
#2 Villanova
#3 Iowa State
#4 Michigan State
#1 Florida
#8 Kentucky
W 89–81OT
W 77–65
W 81–76
W 60–54
W 63–53
W 60–54
2016#9First Round
Second Round
#8 Colorado
#1 Kansas
W 74–67
L 61–73

Am I the only one who thinks that's pretty damn good for a first year coach who is replacing probably the greatest college coach of all time?

The key word being "great". I think Scheyer was.. good? Decent? Somewhere in there?

But I don't think a 4-seed and a 2nd-round loss, after being handed that team, is a "great" showing. Doesn't mean he can't get better.. I just think he still has more to prove.

I'm sorry was it you or the other Duke fan who tried to tell me next year's team was going down as one of the GOATs?

If Duke should be the far and away favorite going into next year, and has the chance to be one of the best teams in a while, then yes.. 1-seed and a Final 4..

That's the thing, you don't just get to claim "Oh we're gonna be the best, just you wait!" and then not hear it in the event you don't live up to expectations.
I never made that statement. I don't put that much faith in freshmen. I do not think Duke should be ranked #1 preseason, and I also think as hard as it is to make a final four the way that tournament usually goes, you cant say it's that or a failure. Now, if a team is clearly one of the top dominant teams at the end of the year, that expectation is a lot more realistic. There's too much unknown at this point. How will the freshmen pan out, what injuries will there be, will there be any team chemistry? All I'm saying is so many people are saying Scheyer won't be a successful coach, but at the same time, expect a final four his second year. All we can really do is wait and see if he is still there 6, 7, or 8 years from now and see what he has done. There are coaches out there that this board has listed as hopefuls to replace Cal, many of them ranked above Duke, but they didn't make the final 4 this year. Being a good coach, and having the talent is barely have the battle.

I never made that statement. I don't put that much faith in freshmen. I do not think Duke should be ranked #1 preseason, and I also think as hard as it is to make a final four the way that tournament usually goes, you cant say it's that or a failure. Now, if a team is clearly one of the top dominant teams at the end of the year, that expectation is a lot more realistic. There's too much unknown at this point. How will the freshmen pan out, what injuries will there be, will there be any team chemistry? All I'm saying is so many people are saying Scheyer won't be a successful coach, but at the same time, expect a final four his second year. All we can really do is wait and see if he is still there 6, 7, or 8 years from now and see what he has done. There are coaches out there that this board has listed as hopefuls to replace Cal, many of them ranked above Duke, but they didn't make the final 4 this year. Being a good coach, and having the talent is barely have the battle.

I'm pretty sure you liked several of that Duke Blu's posts.. but whatever.

I have no idea how successful he will be.. Im just saying if Duke fans are going to make big bold statements about what the team is going to be like next year.. then it has to be backed up.. and if it isn't, then it's fair to question the coach.

I'm pretty sure you liked several of that Duke Blu's posts.. but whatever.

I have no idea how successful he will be.. Im just saying if Duke fans are going to make big bold statements about what the team is going to be like next year.. then it has to be backed up.. and if it isn't, then it's fair to question the coach.
Fair to an extent, I agree. I just think two years is a little early. We both know that the best 4 teams rarely end up in the final four. That's what makes the tournament so much fun.

Fair to an extent, I agree. I just think two years is a little early. We both know that the best 4 teams rarely end up in the final four. That's what makes the tournament so much fun.

I mean, I, myself, know that.. But that's something that isn't often known here, or is it applied to our own coach.

Reactions: Blueheart32
I mean, I, myself, know that.. But that's something that isn't often known here, or is it applied to our own coach.
Yeah man it's difficult. Every year I expect more chalk in the tournament than we end up getting.
Cal should have more titles than he has. K should have also. So should Self, and Dean Smith DAMN sure should have. I also believe with NIL and the portal, it is going to be even more difficult for the "bluebloods" to establish dominance again, or at least sustain it for more than a couple years. I don't believe we ever Duke, Ky, and one or two other teams dominate a decade again.

Seems like he took Calhoun's system and players and ran with it.. and after that title, he only went downhill.
I actually don't mind Uconn, hence all the friends and acquaintances that are Uconn fans.. But I don't think one of them liked Ollie as a coach.

He had the title... and then 1 other tournament appearance. Sure, the title is "technically" his, but you'd think he could have done a little more in the 3-4 years after.. but he didn't. And that's mainly why Uconn fans wanted him gone.

2014#7Second Round
Third Round
Sweet Sixteen
Elite Eight
Final Four
National Championship
#10 Saint Joseph's
#2 Villanova
#3 Iowa State
#4 Michigan State
#1 Florida
#8 Kentucky
W 89–81OT
W 77–65
W 81–76
W 60–54
W 63–53
W 60–54
2016#9First Round
Second Round
#8 Colorado
#1 Kansas
W 74–67
L 61–73
That’s all fair, but it’s also fair to state they had a mass exodus after the probation problems leaked which, affected recruiting and set the program back. Now, it’s absolutely fair to say it’s still his lack of program management as much as anyone else at fault but this board doesn’t say that about cals past NCAA run ins at other schools or the fact he’s underachieved with far more talent in his tenure than Ollie had. So, I don’t think I’ll be hypocritical now. Do I think peak Ollie is was ever as good as peak Cal? No I don’t but I don’t think UConn’s downturn was all on Ollie either

Yeah man it's difficult. Every year I expect more chalk in the tournament than we end up getting.
Cal should have more titles than he has. K should have also. So should Self, and Dean Smith DAMN sure should have. I also believe with NIL and the portal, it is going to be even more difficult for the "bluebloods" to establish dominance again, or at least sustain it for more than a couple years. I don't believe we ever Duke, Ky, and one or two other teams dominate a decade again.

Or.. maybe having 1 or 2 is enough.. because expecting much more, with the way the tournament is setup, is asking a little too much?

But still.. if we apply these rules to Cal (and any future or past UK coach for that matter), then I'm applying it to Duke and Scheyer and K.

Reactions: Blueheart32
Borzello's early top 25 from last season

1. UNC
2. Gonzaga
3. Houston
4. Kentucky
5. Duke
6. Kansas
7. Creighton
8. Baylor
9. UCLA
10. Arkansas

19. Alabama
24. UConn

Not ranked: Marquette, Kansas St.,

Reactions: TankedCat
This would be our best lineup
Bradshaw will struggle for a while due to the physicality of college players

This lineup is similar to the Baylor team that won it all a few years back

G Dillingham
G Wagner
G Reeves
G Edwards
F Tshiebwe
6th man- Bradshaw
No, Edwards isn't playing the 4 even for 10 seconds. If Livingston didn't play it, Edwards sure as Hell isn't either.

#4 UConn starting lineup:
Stephon Castle (No. 15 in ESPN 100)
Solomon Ball (No. 55 in ESPN 100)
Jaylin Stewart (No. 84 in ESPN 100)

VS

#9 UK starting lineup:
Robert Dillingham (No. 11 in ESPN 100)
D.J. Wagner (No. 2 in ESPN 100)
Justin Edwards (No. 1 in ESPN 100)
They have a coach. We have CCC.

saw some Bracketology that had us as a 6 seed meaning they think we are ranked between 21-24

The shine is off Cal's highly recruited 5 stars starting out in the top 5 and then falling like a rock each season.

No benefit of the doubt is given to this train wreck of a program now.
We will be very lucky to land a 6 seed with Triple C coaching. I suspect next season to be worse than this season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT