ADVERTISEMENT

Boneheaded Play Award

FtWorthCat

Senior
Aug 21, 2001
Ft. Worth, TX
Who got the award for biggest boneheaded play of the night?

1-Mitchell tosses a live ball to the ref standing out of bounds (I would have chewed a 4th graders ass out for that)

2-Edwards ill advised three point attempt to kill a rally where we were dominating inside, followed up by getting posterized by the rim.

3-Dillingham tried a whirling dervish trick shot in the last five minutes that ended up being an air ball (at least he did drain a 3 right after that)

4-But my vote goes to Sheppard for the dumb trifecta stretch of inexplicable pass out of bounds to Reeves, followed by stupid foul on a three pointer, followed by stupid ill advised three jacked up with no confidence whatsoever. He can't let that be his UK legacy can he?

Last edited:
It has to be that Mitchell play. In my roughly 30 years watching basketball, I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen a team fail to realize that a missed free throw is live like that. There’s making mistakes in a game, and then there’s just not even being mentally engaged. That was inexcusable.

Mitchell throwing the ball back to the ref after the and one might be the dumbest thing I’ve seen in sports.
In front of his OWN bench and then Calipari trying to pretend they said it was a 2 shot foul when the basket was scored. I try to be nice to today's athlete but I'm so sick and tired of every F-ing game--seeing guys run up the floor after first made FT of a 1 and 1 or 2 Shot foul and then you have this jackass play of a guy not knowing it was an "And 1" FTA.

If you don't give a f*** about time/score/winning, then why should anyone donate to NIL, pay to be at or watch the games you play in? This program is BROKEN. Period. It's time to start clean and it means nuking the AD/HC and his entire staff. If you lose players-so be it and really don't give a damn.

The worst part is the entire team was thinking the same thing Mitchell was. No one reacted at all.
This team was always extremely careless when inbounding the ball after opponents baskets...it happened all year. Just lazy shit basketball

Reactions: bIhawk
There was a 2nd half missed one and one where no one on the team reacted on the missed free throw. Oakland had no one on the line then either but luckily the ball hard bounced right back to one of our players and the Oakland player that missed it made a play for the ball and everyone was like oh shit live ball. Whole team was out of of sync from the get go. Coaching matters and this team was not prepared.

Mitchells gaffe was an all timer .. And the bonus goes to the other 4 guys who stood there and didnt move a muscle to grab the ball or correct his action . and the staff ? Not 1 guy hollers " live ball " This was a microcosm of the entire night , a lack of focus and a comedy of errors . #FireCalipari today !

1-Mitchell tosses a live ball to the ref standing out of bounds (I would have chewed a 4th graders ass out for that)

2-Edwards ill advised three point attempt to kill a rally where we were dominating inside, followed up by getting posterized by the rim.

3-Dillingham tried a whirling dervish trick shot in the last five minutes that ended up being an air ball (at least he did drain a 3 right after that)

4-But my vote goes to Sheppard for the dumb trifecta stretch of inexplicable pass out of bounds to Reeves, followed by stupid foul on a three pointer, followed by stupid ill advised three jacked up with no confidence whatsoever. He can't let that be his UK legacy can he?
I vote #2….how. 6”7 D1 athlete gets rim on a wide open dunk..just incredible

Regards the Mitchell gaffe … What I never understood, and the announcers never mentioned it, is whether the referee told the lane occupants what the free-throw situation was before the shot ?? Do officials no longer advise the lane of the shooting situation on free-throws ??

Last edited:
Reactions: CincinnatiWildcat
I didn’t view Rob play as boneheaded . We were in desperation mode late and we had no good rhythm to this game .

Mitchell and Edward plays were boneheaded for sure especially Mitchell .

I can’t fault the players. Getting paid or not, they’re still young.

Truth be told, I did laugh at that Edwards’ play, bless his heart.

Edwards getting rejected by the rim ended the game.

Had he dunked that or just laid it in we were on a roll. A dunk would have had the crowd in a frenzy.

Tre's was a bigger bonehead move though. You're a senior, that can't happen.

I would also like to nominate the coach man on the sidelines for having 2 timeouts left with 20ish seconds to go when we had trailed the entire second half and looked shell-shocked.

Reactions: BobCat6 and UK90

Hard to pick one out. Mmmm, go with #4 because Shep's meek play lost is the most points

These threads are pathetic and a deflection technique.
How so? Did you not read where I said at the end of the day it all goes back to coaching, motivation and preparation?

Well coached teams don't make this many mental blunders. Every player on the team regressed this year. Early in the season, Mitchell was like having a coach on the floor. Then last night he makes a mental mistake that would embarrass a grade schooler in a Saturday morning game.

Reactions: UK90

Can’t argue with any of those but could add in DJ missing layup, 5 footer, Edwards missing layup n dunk…Rob leaving man to give wide open dagger 3 from corner….

How so? Did you not read where I said at the end of the day it all goes back to coaching, motivation and preparation?

Well coached teams don't make this many mental blunders. Every player on the team regressed this year. Early in the season, Mitchell was like having a coach on the floor. Then last night he makes a mental mistake that would embarrass a grade schooler in a Saturday morning game.
Then why even make the thread? These are good kids who are out there busting their tails without very good support from their coach.

Mitchell's bonehead play was a microcosm for the season. Clueless coach, clueless player. I noticed Oakland made a practice of putting no players on the lane during free throws and I think it confused our rudderless team on a few occasions as to the free throw situation. Reminds me of my third grade team where we would all go line up around the center circle after every timeout.

The season and team are defined by the free throw debacle and the Edwards dunk. A team that made loads of mental mistakes and the failures of top prospects. Historic 3 point shooting and some nuclear Rob moments mitigated how big of a disappointment this was all along.

Regards the Mitchell gaffe … What I never understood, and the announcers never mentioned it, is whether the referee told the lane occupants what the free-throw situation was before the shot ?? Do officials no longer advise the lane of the shooting situation on free-throws ??
They kept showing a reply of the foul being an and one, I kept saying that doesn't matter show me a replay of the ref bouncing the ball to the free throw shooter to see if he gave the one and one signal or two shots

We also did it AGAIN on a one-and-one miss late in the second half. Four idiots standing still with a live ball. Got very lucky to get the rebound.

Reactions: FitchandMurray29
They’re supposed to. That entire plays was strange. First of all, the foul was on the floor. Second, none of the Oakland players reacted like it was a basket and a foul. I thought i saw the ref give the motion for scoring the basket, but he wasn’t emphatic like they usually are. Everything felt muted.

But that was an all time”no ones head is in the game” play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT