ADVERTISEMENT

Boley

jlkirk

Sophomore
Dec 4, 2005
Premium article on Scout re Boley; evidently, he is top target for Penn State

With the money rumored he's offered, UK won't be a serious player here imo. With coen we have a chance but not much of one imo

Reactions: Doodah859
With the money rumored he's offered, UK won't be a serious player here imo. With coen we have a chance but not much of one imo
I’m not saying this is absolutely true with 100% certainty but someone around the program I know doesn’t think he’s our first target. Some of that could be they don’t think he wants to stay around. Although there are some football reasons. Not that he isn’t a take or anything but there’s a political side they have to deal with on this and even if this is accurate info it’s not somebody that they ‘don’t want’ it’s just they have someone higher.

I’m not saying this is absolutely true with 100% certainty but someone around the program I know doesn’t think he’s our first target. Some of that could be they don’t think he wants to stay around. Although there are some football reasons. Not that he isn’t a take or anything but there’s a political side they have to deal with on this and even if this is accurate info it’s not somebody that they ‘don’t want’ it’s just they have someone higher.

Could be a situation where they don't want to sink a ton of resources into a kid they know is way out of our league nil wise?

Could be a situation where they don't want to sink a ton of resources into a kid they know is way out of our league nil wise?
Yeah may be. I also think there are nuances different staffs value that may push one kid over another in preference. Doesn’t mean anybody ‘can’t play there’ but places like UK have to evaluate things more uniquely than say, a power does.

Reactions: Ky grandpa
His dad will make sure he goes to a school with the best chance to win a National Championship. Just like he did with his daughter Erin. She went to Notre Dame before transferring to Oregon. Didn't even give UK a sniff, even though the entire family are huge UK fans. Daddy calls the shots on this one, which means he'll end up at UT, Bama, Georgia, or Clemson.

We need to not wait on him if Saunders or Montgomery want to come. Boley isn’t all that serious about UK
I generally agree with this. I’d hate to miss out on an elite in-state talent, but I would hate it even more to miss out on other top QB prospects while courting Boley in vain.

Ultimately we have to go with the young men who really want to be here.

His dad will make sure he goes to a school with the best chance to win a National Championship. Just like he did with his daughter Erin. She went to Notre Dame before transferring to Oregon. Didn't even give UK a sniff, even though the entire family are huge UK fans. Daddy calls the shots on this one, which means he'll end up at UT, Bama, Georgia, or Clemson.
If Pop Boley is that smart he'll realize TN won't be in the running for a NC what with Chumlee's disdain for defense plus his gimmick O won't prepare Boley for the NFL.

Don't know who it'll be but Coen will end up with a good QB, I'm convinced of that.

I generally agree with this. I’d hate to miss out on an elite in-state talent, but I would hate it even more to miss out on other top QB prospects while courting Boley in vain.

Ultimately we have to go with the young men who really want to be here.
Yep I’m not doom and gloom at all on this and we could very well get him. But tea leaves suggest we shouldn’t turn down another great player just to wait

Yep I’m not doom and gloom at all on this and we could very well get him. But tea leaves suggest we shouldn’t turn down another great player just to wait
It's not like there is a huge drop between them. Montgomery is 94 and Saunders is around 140. There both high 4 star qbs. Also Saunders and Boley are both considering going to '24 which would change this also. That would def effect the players

What does politics have to do with a college QB???? College is for playing a game not being political... I find this statement confusing....
Sorry I got the wrong post first time..

GBB

What does politics have to do with a college QB???? College is for playing a game not being political... I find this statement confusing....
Sorry I got the wrong post first time..

GBB
I mean political in a sense that it’s a highly ranked in state qb so even if they do have someone or some others higher on their board it’s tricky working through it from a perception standpoint

hey do have someone or some others higher on their board it’s tricky working through it from a perception standpoint
Yes.

I understood your point as a much broader reference than “partisan” politics.

Kentucky doesn’t need to spend a bunch of money on this kid, they will get him back in one two years…..
My fear is they go all-in and the kid busts. Maybe not even busts but is more Drew barker then Tim couch. Also I know barker battled injuries

Agree with this. Portal makes it almost automatic QBs will transfer rather than bide their time while coaches try to recruit over them.

I’d prioritize finite NIL on linemen, skill positions, and transfer QBs.
A strong base and a proven or at least humbled product at QB??? Makes sense to me. I'm not sure I give a damn for treating any prospect with the oils and incense just to get him on campus.

You would think someone local would step up with NIL dollars to keep him home if that's the case. But it sounds more like a case of him being a prima donna which might be more of the reason we aren't heavy on him at the moment.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
You would think someone local would step up with NIL dollars to keep him home if that's the case. But it sounds more like a case of him being a prima donna which might be more of the reason we aren't heavy on him at the moment.

Based on numbers floating around not that long ago, I don't think we'll try. I think they'll use that money to build up the team as a whole and bank on coen finding transfers. I like that approach because it's a much more known quantity and at that point guys have that extra incentive to learn from one of the best to get ready for the NFL so the nil isnt the only deciding factor

Haha, all QBs worth a damn are prima donnas. You'd better have some healthy confidence in yourself to play the position!

Sometimes it's a losing effort, but I don't think you can give up on a kid who could be a program changer nearly 2 years out. I would be surprised if Stoops and crew have. UGA went all in last year on Manning, lost out didn't take a QB. No one gets everybody, but the only sure way not to is don't recruit.

Level headed recruits know how well our coaches have been putting players in the pro's for a few years now. And now with the makeup of our whole coaching staff I think we are starting to make good progress in closing the talent gap even more with guys at the top. With a good eye for under the radar recruits, history continuing to build up with player success at the next level and now we have a cornerstone to build on at the QB position that had been holding us down. With Levis and now Leary, and the for real talent around them, I think we are in a good position to keep the QB position at the highest level we have seen for the forseeable future. Yes the NIL is big but some of these recruits see the overall picture in this program and what it can do for them not just here but years from now.

We need to not wait on him if Saunders or Montgomery want to come. Boley isn’t all that serious about UK
He was here first day of Spring practice, which tells me (and JRow according to his article) that that was an encouraging sign. If we were the first team he visited, then that can't be a bad sign.

Reactions: zcats
Sometimes it's a losing effort, but I don't think you can give up on a kid who could be a program changer nearly 2 years out. I would be surprised if Stoops and crew have. UGA went all in last year on Manning, lost out didn't take a QB. No one gets everybody, but the only sure way not to is don't recruit.
Yeah I don’t think our staff would give in on anything. My info of preference seems more based on the profile of what UK typically values and that maybe matching up a little more with another guy or two. I mean the kid is tall, has a good arm and throws a catchable ball. But, he plays 2A ky football and the program he transferred into plays a really soft brand of football…which isn’t UK’s calling card.

Yeah I don’t think our staff would give in on anything. My info of preference seems more based on the profile of what UK typically values and that maybe matching up a little more with another guy or two. I mean the kid is tall, has a good arm and throws a catchable ball. But, he plays 2A ky football and the program he transferred into plays a really soft brand of football…which isn’t UK’s calling card.

I don't know anything about this particular kid other than he is a highly rated 25 QB and a Kentucky kid. Just a general statement. I don't know why playing for Franklin and PSU would be attractive to a kid with other options. Maybe it's me but they seem to be in a downward trend.

I don't know anything about this particular kid other than he is a highly rated 25 QB and a Kentucky kid. Just a general statement. I don't know why playing for Franklin and PSU would be attractive to a kid with other options. Maybe it's me but they seem to be in a downward trend.
Penn St's coming off a 11-2 season, Rose Bowl win....QB who beat out Levis had 10K+ career passing yards. If that's a downward trend UK should be so lucky.

Reactions: EKCAT4YRS and GGary
I don’t know anything about that specifically myself although as others have pointed out his older sister went away for school. Maybe he just wants to. He transferred to the high school he attends from a more rural school a couple hours away for more perceived local visibility, dropped to the 25 class with the silly ‘Covid’ year exception, and said he was going prep school his senior year although now he seems to be considering reclassing. I don’t personally see anything wrong with any of it, they are just working through todays system but my point is it is definitely a family looking to maximize all opportunities and look at all doors to get the most out of it. It’s not a ‘stay around home’ situation.

I will also say that UK still has to show a qb they’ll give him some perimeter weapons to play with. This coming season is promising in that regard but still has to be shown. Hiring Coen seems helpful but again they gotta show they can get skill guys going forward like these other programs he’s being ‘recruited’ by. That’s from the player side of things.

Appreciate people bringing what they hear from the program here and sharing.

But the idea it is a 'lost investment' bothering to recruit a local highly rated QB because the chances are slim is flawed. I would propose to everyone it is FAR more damaging to the UK football program and the staff to be seen not giving 100% effort on Boley. Damaging in the perception to other highly regarded recruits in our territory.

As our Georgia friend pointed out, there really wasn't much reason or logic for them to go all out on Eli. But doing that sent the message that Kirby will go after the best irregardless of the chances it works out.

I'm old enough to remember at the time the chances given of awful 2-10 Kentucky trying to recruit a 5* running back from Richmond. But young coach Stoops didn't care, and went all in. We came up short! But the dividends paid off in future classes IMO.

Appreciate people bringing what they hear from the program here and sharing.

But the idea it is a 'lost investment' bothering to recruit a local highly rated QB because the chances are slim is flawed. I would propose to everyone it is FAR more damaging to the UK football program and the staff to be seen not giving 100% effort on Boley. Damaging in the perception to other highly regarded recruits in our territory.

As our Georgia friend pointed out, there really wasn't much reason or logic for them to go all out on Eli. But doing that sent the message that Kirby will go after the best irregardless of the chances it works out.

I'm old enough to remember at the time the chances given of awful 2-10 Kentucky trying to recruit a 5* running back from Richmond. But young coach Stoops didn't care, and went all in. We came up short! But the dividends paid off in future classes IMO.
I don't think anyone is saying don't recruit Boley. They should recruit all three hard until they know which one they want and even then keep after the other two while you go all-in on the one you want. Whatvif Coen prefers the 94th best player in the class Montgomery or 145 best player Saunders. You're still getting a high 4 star. We can make all the assumptions we want but there is no way to know how this will shake out or which one is even better

I don't think anyone is saying don't recruit Boley. They should recruit all three hard until they know which one they want and even then keep after the other two while you go all-in on the one you want. Whatvif Coen prefers the 94th best player in the class Montgomery or 145 best player Saunders. You're still getting a high 4 star. We can make all the assumptions we want but there is no way to know how this will shake out or which one is even better
Based on absolutely nothing but a hunch, I gather UK/Coen may favor Montgomery. What happens if Boley reclassifies, I do not know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT