ADVERTISEMENT

Boley: Biggest UK Get Since Tim Couch!

Let's see a successful career that gets him onto the list of our all time best QBs. That is the point, right?
Obviously, that is the universal point of the game and fanship, ie winning games and championships, buuuut,

The defined subject of the thread from
my OP is that “[f] rom the recruiting perspective, alone, given the early timing of his commitment, and his status as one of the best Quarterbacks in either the ‘24 or ‘25 Class,” Boley’s commitment is the most important since Tim Couch’s 1995 commitment.

Achieving a level on a par with Clemson (2014-2019) or Georgia the last 5 seasons takes more than a handful of 3 Star players who proved to be far better.

I loved Randall Cobb, Benny Snell, Josh Allen, Bunchy and Logan, . . . .

But how many SEC East titles did they win?

Sure, two Citrus Bowl and Gator Bowl appearances were a BIG deal for our program, given we had been eligible for these bowls for 60ish years and never played in them, buuuut . . . .

Football is a 12 month sport and perceptions of program strength and growth can be shown by more than wins during the season. Winning on this level on the recruiting trail is a damn good supplement, even if a Drew Barker breaks his back and has to leave football. His early commitment in 2014 helped land 9 other 4 Star commitments, and those guys certainly all helped provide Snell, Allen, Stallings and Stenberg a Bigger Stage to showcase their own talents.

I tried to ignore recruiting rankings under Brooks and Joker . . . I repeated all the standard bullsh!t that our kids were all “diamonds in the rough,” and overlooked, etc., etc.

And sure enough, Bud Dupree was a good example of what we hoped 20+ players would/could be.

But he was pretty lonely at the top, at UK in his day.

So, again, I will repeat, given the timing, his nationally known ranking in two year’s worth of recruiting rankings, and his high profile recruitment, from the recruiting perspective, alone, the commitment of Cutter Boley is the most important since Tim Couch’s commitment in December of 1995 (and given my defined criteria, Drew Barker’s is a close second).

Last edited:
e
Was there a post like this for K Goodwin last year?
Not by me.

And his recruitment was two years ago, believe it or not.

QB is one of the three positions that I think “Star” quality means the most. [QB, DT, CB].

And QB is the position that gets the most coverage.

Drew Barker was widely credited with our double-digit haul of four Stars in 2014. I’m not sure that anyone mentioned Goodwin as being a catalyst for his class.

I searched those days, April of ‘21, and had a post about K. Goodwin having 54 offers, about the same as had Justin Rogers, wondering if Couch and D. Johnson had been as frequently offered.

Maybe we need to avoid recruits with 50 plus offers?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT