ADVERTISEMENT

Bohemian Rhapsody

Not sure how old you were when that movie came out, but Queen's most recent album had tanked, their singer had died of AIDS and things weren't going well. That movie introduced Queen to millions of kids who probably would not have even sniffed a Queen album normally.

As has this movie. My 14 year old has been listening to Queen since watching the movie. I am not opposed to this either as she usually listens to Ariana Grande or somebody named Cardi B or some other crap.

Think this is more of an England thing. My understanding is that they were/are mythic there. But growing up in states on their music late 70's/early 80's, they were a good band, everyone wanted to see, but not on a pedastal with Who and Stones at that time. Over time, more have become fans. But, at the time, they were legends in England and good in US. I think that sums it up.

They were huge in the rest of the world. Heck they pulled in 250,000 paid attendance in Rio Brazil. I was a huge Queen fan and the US was always a step behind in Queen worship. It peaked here in the US with "The Game" where they arguably were the worlds top band.

They were never the darling of the music critic chattering class. And as with most mythical figures...getting assassinated or dying from AIDS as with Freddie....you move up a rung or two. In Fred's case however his status is deserved. He would clearly be on a music industry Mt. Rushmore.

Reactions: RonEJones
Not accurate but the music scenes are fun.
Made me want to go home and watch that Live Aid performance again -the original Live Aid performance is easily a top 10 great rock moment.

I actually have it on a VHS tape where I taped LiveAID that day back in 1985. I don't have a VCR so it doesnt do much good.

That band was already losing steam when Jazz came out. It sold well but sucked.

IIRC Freddie pulled a Cat Stevens and some prayer to Allah or something on that album. This is now around the time when my friends and I (all aged around 15-16) started to realize that Freddie was a "strange" dude... and we lost interest pretty quickly after that.

Plus you had "Get the Knack" out and it was clearly targeted to teenage boys lol.

Seriously? Mustapha? GREAT song. It was lyrical mumbo jumbo just like the operatic portion of BoRhap. He was parsi and Zoroastrian not muslim. Sheesh.

Also The Game was their most successful in the US as far as #1 US hits as far as I recall.

Last edited:
Wife and daughter will go see it - both pretty big fans of Queen. I like We Will Rock You and We are the Champions and that's about it. Never saw the appeal in Queen's music. Pompous, arty and too much Broadway show tunes (both music and live show) for my taste. They WERE huge, though, in UK and, I've heard, South America. Can't say Live Aid performance was anything special because, you know, they were playing Queen music which I didn't/don't like. IMO, U2's performance >>>>>> Queen but mainly because I liked their music so much better. Many people disagree with me, of course, but to each his own.

Interesting that you mentioned U2. Actually the worlds music industry disagrees with you. This was the day that the entire world watched....and Queen stole the show.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...ersary-career-changing-performances/29914869/

Queen

If U2's Live Aid performance turned the band members into superstars, Queen's secured its position as one of the greatest live acts ever. In fact, the group's 19-minute set at Wembley Stadium, during which they managed to squeeze in six songs, including Bohemian Rhapsody, Radio Gaga and We Are the Champions, was ranked the great rock performance all of all time by a 2005 BBC poll. "They didn't waste one second," says author and veteran music journalist Alan Light. "When you go back to it, that's what's so impressive — the efficiency of it, just coming with their peak performance and staying there." Thirty years later, frontman Freddie Mercury's performance remains a master class for other performers in the art of crowd command.

Queen owes Wolfman Jack for their American popularity. Queen was featured on The Midnight Special several times. In 1980, Queen was voted the most popular band in the world. Well before Wayne's World.

Yep! You are correct. That was the point where The Game was tearing up the airwaves.

Just providing a little context of the competition that Queen faced... also a comparison of a blatantly hetero Doug Fieger (Knack's main songwriter) vs Freddie.

Freddie went to his death bead denying that he was gay. It wasn't until video of him from Innuendo was released that everyone knew he was very ill. There had always been rumors in a brutal Brit press but Fred would always point back to Mary Austin...who was the Love of his life. She inherited much of his estate and actually spread his ashes....somewhere that she has never disclosed. Freddie was flamboyant but I never thought of him as overtly gay. You gotta understand that there was not 24-7 coverage and the internet to doxx people.

Everyone that has seen it here has said the crowd gave it a standing ovation as did the audience I saw it with, given I live in one of the gayest cities in the world. I really liked it though.

Reactions: ymmot31
Everyone that has seen it here has said the crowd gave it a standing ovation as did the audience I saw it with, given I live in one of the gayest cities in the world. I really liked it though.

Unlike most/all here......I saw them 3 times live in concert....while Freddie was alive. We always gave them a standing O as Fred walked around the stage with the Union Jack draped on his shoulders...to God Save the Queen.

Queen owes Wolfman Jack for their American popularity. Queen was featured on The Midnight Special several times. In 1980, Queen was voted the most popular band in the world. Well before Wayne's World.
I think it's fair to say WW repopularized them in the US. They got big in the 80s in the US with another one bites the dust, then faded out a couple years later and didnt even return and no one really cared. Its also fair to say they were biggest band on earth, but I dont think it's a stretch to say a younger generation had forgotten about them domestically and not having the largest music consumer market on earth is hurtful as opposed to saying "it's just one country" like kopi did.

A simple google search pretty much explains the same.

I think it's fair to say WW repopularized them in the US. They got big in the 80s in the US with another one bites the dust, then faded out a couple years later and didnt even return and no one really cared. Its also fair to say they were biggest band on earth, but I dont think it's a stretch to say a younger generation had forgotten about them domestically and not having the largest music consumer market on earth is hurtful as opposed to saying "it's just one country" like kopi did.

That is because Hot Space was not well received. They Freddie tried to do club scene music....and that was not the Queen fanbase.

Also Feddie and Roger did their own projects.. I liked Roger's better than Mr. Badguy. Plus they did a concert in South Africa that did not go over well in the press. They had a rough patch. No doubt.

Whether it's fair or not, most people would have forgotten or never heard of Queen if it wasn't for Wayne's World. That sounds stupid, but their music wasn't really on the regular populace's radar at that point until the scene in that movie. Myself included. I knew of them, but didn't listen to much of their catalog.

Totally agree about that scene being huge for introducing Queen to a new audience. They can also thank Jock Jams for making "We Will Rock You" big for a new generation.

We used to stomp and clap We Will Rock You during elementary school volleyball games I’m guessing to intimidate our opponents. When you have 4th graders at GC Burkhead in E’town, KY singing your songs before games I’d have to say you were a pretty successful and well-known rock band.

Reactions: WalkersGoggles

My wife and I went and saw it opening night. I thought it was a pretty good movie for what it was. Of course the music was the best part. When it was over everyone started clapping, except me. I stood there and looked around at them wondering why someone would clap at a movie screen. Probably has more to do with a herd mentality than a measured response.

Reactions: P19978
My wife and I went and saw it opening night. I thought it was a pretty good movie for what it was. Of course the music was the best part. When it was over everyone started clapping, except me. I stood there and looked around at them wondering why someone would clap at a movie screen. Probably has more to do with a herd mentality than a measured response.
Probably an audience full of liberals.

Reactions: ymmot31

I agree. They faded quickly in the 80's.

We used to stomp and clap We Will Rock You during elementary school volleyball games I’m guessing to intimidate our opponents. When you have 4th graders at GC Burkhead in E’town, KY singing your songs before games I’d have to say you were a pretty successful and well-known rock band.
My parents were both teachers at GC Burkhead
GC Burkhead! Lincoln Trail Elementary alum here......

Reactions: roguemocha

Ha! We did the same in Little League baseball. This was around 1988, and it was a big rotation song for the dugout along with Rag Doll from Aerosmith and a few others I can't remember. The difference is, however, we definitely knew Rag Doll was from Aerosmith, but we didn't know that Queen sang We Will Rock You.

Reactions: roguemocha
I'm not willing to debate their popularity or level of influence, but the main things I remember about Queen were that Freddy Mercury had one of the greatest voices of the generation and guitar players loved Brian May. I remember a couple of friends just being blown away that May actually made every single component of his guitar.

Reactions: JDHoss
''The Game" LP was the recess go-to music of choice at Lansdowne Elementary in 4th grade circa 1980-81.

Freddie went to his death bead denying that he was gay. It wasn't until video of him from Innuendo was released that everyone knew he was very ill. There had always been rumors in a brutal Brit press but Fred would always point back to Mary Austin...who was the Love of his life. She inherited much of his estate and actually spread his ashes....somewhere that she has never disclosed. Freddie was flamboyant but I never thought of him as overtly gay. You gotta understand that there was not 24-7 coverage and the internet to doxx people.
Freddie wasn't gay. He was a trisexual. He'd try anything.

Just providing a little context of the competition that Queen faced... also a comparison of a blatantly hetero Doug Fieger (Knack's main songwriter) vs Freddie.
Doug fieger was horrible. No talent. There is no comparison and to say so shows you know nothing

Wife and daughter will go see it - both pretty big fans of Queen. I like We Will Rock You and We are the Champions and that's about it. Never saw the appeal in Queen's music. Pompous, arty and too much Broadway show tunes (both music and live show) for my taste. They WERE huge, though, in UK and, I've heard, South America. Can't say Live Aid performance was anything special because, you know, they were playing Queen music which I didn't/don't like. IMO, U2's performance >>>>>> Queen but mainly because I liked their music so much better. Many people disagree with me, of course, but to each his own.

Would rather go see Phantom of the Opera or Les Mis than Queen, and I love rock music, just never really got it with Queen, yes Mercury was a great singer, but no better than about 1000 leading men and women on Broadway, and they pretty much are in the same genre, IMO

Would rather go see Phantom of the Opera or Les Mis than Queen, and I love rock music, just never really got it with Queen, yes Mercury was a great singer, but no better than about 1000 leading men and women on Broadway, and they pretty much are in the same genre, IMO

How many of those 1000 leading men wrote, produced and played an instrument in their own Broadway play? How many did that in front of tens and hundreds of thousands of people? I think you undervalue Freddie who would have been the best on broadway had he chosen to do so.

Reactions: KYNC89
My mom was a longtime librarian there.

@ymmot31 And I agree that clapping for a movie screen is weird but I guarantee you clap, hoot and holler at your tv at home during Kentucky games.
Really wanting @ymmot31 to tell me if he claps or says anything during UK games just out of curiosity . Can’t imagine watching a UK game with someone in complete silence.

Interesting that you mentioned U2. Actually the worlds music industry disagrees with you. This was the day that the entire world watched....and Queen stole the show.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life...ersary-career-changing-performances/29914869/

I get it - you're a huge Queen fan. I'm not and have never been one. I said 'many people would disagree with me' re: U2 vs. Queen at Live Aid. However, I happened, at the time, to LOVE U2's music and they put on a great performance, also. IIRC, I was bored watching Queen. Their music just didn't do it for me. Mercury's frontman schtick looked like a rehearsed performance where he needed to get to this spot and hit this pose then move to the next spot and make this grimace while hitting the next pose. Seemed totally preplanned to m. Again, to each his own. The world's music industry has produced a list a mile long of artists who weren't worth squat (imo) and who didn't last. The world's music industry originally panned Exile on Main Street and many other albums that will be played for the next 50 years. So, no, I don't put a lot of faith in the world's music industry (have you listened to the radio lately?). FM and BM were talented, I just didn't like what they created.

Reactions: P19978
I get it - you're a huge Queen fan. I'm not and have never been one. I said 'many people would disagree with me' re: U2 vs. Queen at Live Aid. However, I happened, at the time, to LOVE U2's music and they put on a great performance, also. IIRC, I was bored watching Queen. Their music just didn't do it for me. Mercury's frontman schtick looked like a rehearsed performance where he needed to get to this spot and hit this pose then move to the next spot and make this grimace while hitting the next pose. Seemed totally preplanned to m. Again, to each his own. The world's music industry has produced a list a mile long of artists who weren't worth squat (imo) and who didn't last. The world's music industry originally panned Exile on Main Street and many other albums that will be played for the next 50 years. So, no, I don't put a lot of faith in the world's music industry (have you listened to the radio lately?). FM and BM were talented, I just didn't like what they created.

A Bono fan who questions Freddie's on stage presence?!?!? Look U2 is one of the worlds great bands. They generally are the band that gets runner-up status on that day. But it looks really silly to question Freddie's "schtick." Billboard Mag ranked FM as the #2 all time. Bono was a respectable 19th.

I believe you can google it but you'll find FM at the top or near the top of every single list of leading front men..not just singers.

As for the current music industry...train wreck. The only way to monetize what you do is to tour constantly. Why produce an "album?"

Regarding U2's performance at Live Aid, the other members of the band were pretty pissed at Bono for going out into the crowd. It turned Bad into a 13 minute song, and they ran out of time before playing Pride (In the Name of Love). They left thinking they had blown the performance.

As for Bohemian Rhapsody, I really enjoyed the movie, even though I've never cared for the song. When I saw the movie was rated PG-13, I told my wife there is no way they are telling the whole story. Doesn't matter, I still enjoyed it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT