ADVERTISEMENT

Bohemian Rhapsody

HymanKaplan

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 14, 2001
Biopics are, with rare exceptions, trash.

This one is no exception. It’s nobody’s fault, it’s just a generally crappy genre of movies.

I will say this for it though; the re-creation of the Live Aid performance at the end damn near made it worth sitting through the preceding ass-numbing melodrama.

I enjoyed the Johnny Cash biopic walk the line as well as the Ray Charles one, and to be honest they’re the only biopics I can recall seeing. This one looked pretty terrible in trailers though and I just really have no interest in Freddie Mercury.

Reactions: Cawood86
I enjoyed the Johnny Cash biopic walk the line as well as the Ray Charles one, and to be honest they’re the only biopics I can recall seeing. This one looked pretty terrible in trailers though and I just really have no interest in Freddie Mercury.
Why no interest in Freddie Mercury? Guy was phenomenal.

Biopics are, with rare exceptions, trash.

This one is no exception. It’s nobody’s fault, it’s just a generally crappy genre of movies.

I will say this for it though; the re-creation of the Live Aid performance at the end damn near made it worth sitting through the preceding ass-numbing melodrama.
They were inaccurate on several things and I felt like they shied away from Freddie Mercury’s private life too much. It’s not like everyone doesn’t know now.

We must have seen two different movies, I saw several scenes with gay parties, gay night clubs, his marriage destroyed because he started taking gay lovers, etc.

Individual performances were mostly l strong but backing a mediocre script.

Music was of course the star of the movie.

Reactions: Col. Angus
The funny thing about Mercury AND Queen, they were big and people have always held Freddie way up there, but they weren’t some god-like juggernaut in their hey-day, and Mercury’s esteem has risen massively in the decades since his passing. Almost to mythical proportions.

The funny thing about Mercury AND Queen, they were big and people have always held Freddie way up there, but they weren’t some god-like juggernaut in their hey-day, and Mercury’s esteem has risen massively in the decades since his passing. Almost to mythical proportions.
That’s because people didn’t really see and understand his true greatness. But let’s not pretend queen wasn’t huge, they were. And Freddie Mercury was regarded as one of the best even back then

We must have seen two different movies, I saw several scenes with gay parties, gay night clubs, his marriage destroyed because he started taking gay lovers, etc.

Individual performances were mostly l strong but backing a mediocre script.

Music was of course the star of the movie.
He was never married even though he loved her more than all his gay lovers. But I’m talking about everything regarding Freddie Mercury. They stopped at Live AID, should of gone on to discuss AIDS and how he still sounded phenomenal

We saw it last Tuesday. It's worth a matinee showing if you're a fan of Queen like we are. Not a great movie by any stretch, but the Live Aid sequence was great. It's 2 hours and 13 minutes. Make sure you pee before you go in and just get a regular drink with your popcorn. I was high stepping like an NFL WR heading into the end zone for the bathroom when it was over.

Reactions: mktmaker
I enjoyed it, as someone else wrote the music was the star.
The writers took some liberties with the story, Mercury didn’t tell the band he aids before live aid, he wasn’t diagnosed until 87.
All the band members had solo efforts, the movie made it appear Mercury broke up the band for greed, in fact they had been on tour in 84.

Seems improbable but Sissy Spacechick won an Oscar in one.

"Coal Miners Daughter"
The best of the bunch IMO. That was actually Spacek doing Loretta Lynns vocals and she was spot on.
The always great Tommy Lee Jones as her husband Doolittle.
Terrifically done movie because it gives a true to life depiction of what life was like in mid century Eastern Kentucky without the pandering and stereotype cliches.

Think this is more of an England thing. My understanding is that they were/are mythic there. But growing up in states on their music late 70's/early 80's, they were a good band, everyone wanted to see, but not on a pedastal with Who and Stones at that time. Over time, more have become fans. But, at the time, they were legends in England and good in US. I think that sums it up.

Not accurate but the music scenes are fun.
Made me want to go home and watch that Live Aid performance again -the original Live Aid performance is easily a top 10 great rock moment.

Reactions: JDHoss
They shied away from it because his IS an example of how a careless homosexual community, headquartered around this one persona, did in fact give itself over to Aids, it's own death, and spread it even further. Want that message sent?
Nobody used protection back then. Specifically Gay men. By the time the virus was in full death mode, thousands upon thousands were already infected. With the way the virus works, most gay men passed it along within the mid to late 70s. Unfortunately for Freddie Mercury he lived in New York for 2 years during the start of it

Truth: I was 12 in 1975.

They were competing with the Stones, LZ, Skynyrd, The Who... all of which had some MASSIVE albums in the decade of the 70's. "Get the Knack" in '79 went 4x platinum... Boston's first album sold 17 million albums... Foreigner... point is, there was a TON of competition.

Plus there was Kiss... who was huge for about 5 years in the mid 70's.

Bohemian Rhap was just another song back then... albeit a great one. Their Broadway show tunes just didn't cut it for hard rock fans. I always thought "It's Late" and some of the hard rock stuff on News of the World was more interesting.

Whether it's fair or not, most people would have forgotten or never heard of Queen if it wasn't for Wayne's World. That sounds stupid, but their music wasn't really on the regular populace's radar at that point until the scene in that movie. Myself included. I knew of them, but didn't listen to much of their catalog.

Whether it's fair or not, most people would have forgotten or never heard of Queen if it wasn't for Wayne's World. That sounds stupid, but their music wasn't really on the regular populace's radar at that point until the scene in that movie. Myself included. I knew of them, but didn't listen to much of their catalog.
Video and movie gave a boost to an already famous song. Otherwise, the most people part of what you claim can be dismissed by enormous record sales Queen achieved world-wide long before any Mike Myers skit was ever conjured up for the simple-minded.

Video and movie gave a boost to an already famous song. Otherwise, the most people part of what you claim can be dismissed by enormous record sales Queen achieved world-wide long before any Mike Myers skit was ever conjured up for the simple-minded.
Not sure how old you were when that movie came out, but Queen's most recent album had tanked, their singer had died of AIDS and things weren't going well. That movie introduced Queen to millions of kids who probably would not have even sniffed a Queen album normally.

Additionally, Wayne's World repopularized Bohemian Rhapsody from A Night at the Opera, an album 4 times re-released, the first time in 1991 in anticipation for "Wayne's World.". The album has sold six million copies.

But it is News of the World (We will Rock You, We Are the Champions) where Queen saw it's greatest success. Long before and nothing to do with an SNL spin-off. Over 10 million copies.

Queen is a world-wide brand. WW repopularized A song in A country. the US.

Not really sure what the argument is here. Wayne's World gave great exposure to the song Bohemian Rhapsody and maybe the band in general. But Queen would have always been a legacy classic rock act if Wayne's World had never been made. We Will Rock You would still be played in sports arenas (just as it was before Wayne's World) and Another One Bites the Dust would still be on the radio.

I haven't seen this move, but does Brian May get his due? He is one of the great rock guiarists. And, as someone already said, Queen was absolutely huge in the UK. A mix of prog and glam rock. Neither one of those genres were big here which explains why they were big here, but not huge. Also, Freddy's obvious gayness (after he cut his hair and grew mustache) didn't help in US market.

Not sure how old you were when that movie came out, but Queen's most recent album had tanked, their singer had died of AIDS and things weren't going well. That movie introduced Queen to millions of kids who probably would not have even sniffed a Queen album normally.
That band was already losing steam when Jazz came out. It sold well but sucked.

IIRC Freddie pulled a Cat Stevens and some prayer to Allah or something on that album. This is now around the time when my friends and I (all aged around 15-16) started to realize that Freddie was a "strange" dude... and we lost interest pretty quickly after that.

Plus you had "Get the Knack" out and it was clearly targeted to teenage boys lol.

You've mentioned the Knack twice. I fail to see what the Knack, and the success of their first album, has to do with Queen.

Reactions: KYNC89
Wife and daughter will go see it - both pretty big fans of Queen. I like We Will Rock You and We are the Champions and that's about it. Never saw the appeal in Queen's music. Pompous, arty and too much Broadway show tunes (both music and live show) for my taste. They WERE huge, though, in UK and, I've heard, South America. Can't say Live Aid performance was anything special because, you know, they were playing Queen music which I didn't/don't like. IMO, U2's performance >>>>>> Queen but mainly because I liked their music so much better. Many people disagree with me, of course, but to each his own.

I really liked the film. All biopic and true story movies take liberties with facts to make a better movie. The members of Queen were very involved in the movie so I’m assuming they are ok with the changes.

But agree most everyone on the music being best part of the movie.

I did go home and watch the Live Aid performance on YouTube and it is amazing how accurate the movie was to that performance.

Saw it today, and while not a huge fan of Queen, I thought they did a solid job with the portrayal of Freddie Mercury. Rami Malek did a passable impersonation of Mercury. And yes, the music and the Live Aid scene was the best part of the movie.

Reactions: Louis_Skunt

Queen owes Wolfman Jack for their American popularity. Queen was featured on The Midnight Special several times. In 1980, Queen was voted the most popular band in the world. Well before Wayne's World.

Reactions: KYNC89

You beat me to it. Queen was considered the biggest act in the world in 1980.

The Wolfman introducing Bohemian Rhapsody and We Will Rock You are memories of my childhood.

Queen along with Abba were always having videos on The Midnight Special. These two can probably be credited for starting the video age.

Last edited:
You've mentioned the Knack twice. I fail to see what the Knack, and the success of their first album, has to do with Queen.
Just providing a little context of the competition that Queen faced... also a comparison of a blatantly hetero Doug Fieger (Knack's main songwriter) vs Freddie.

I thought it was a great movie. No boring scenes and the end was fantastic. I see some didn't like it much, but nobody gives a reason.

ADVERTISEMENT