ADVERTISEMENT

Boeheim sees NCAA double standard

rick64

All-American
Jan 25, 2007
Louisville, KY
https://www.sbnation.com/college-ba...yracuse-north-carolina-ncaa-ruling?yptr=yahoo

The NCAA’s unwillingness to take any action over North Carolina steering student athletes to classes that required little effort to earn a high grade for nearly two decades was bound to rub more than a few people the wrong way. One of those people is Syracuse men’s basketball coach Jim Boeheim. In 2015, the NCAA forced Boeheim to vacate 108 wins (the largest number of vacated victories in the history of NCAA investigations) and suspended him for nine ACC games. Though Boeheim wasn’t directly involved in Fab Melo receiving improper assistance with coursework or two other players receiving a small amount of money from the YMCA of Oneida, N.Y.

I'm not the kind of guy that likes the federal government involved in too much of people's lives, but after that UNC* ruling, they should look hard as the NCAA.

For them to get off with nothing is utterly ridiculous

I've never cared for Boeheim ever but he has an excellent point and legitimate gripe. NCAA needs to be taken to court by individuals and schools over this obvious bias/double standard. Wasn't another school hit hard on questionable academics not too long ago? I forget who that was.

I'm not sure of the whole story but I remember one player for smu did something wrong with academics. He left after that didn't play and smu still got a 1 year ban

I'm not sure of the whole story but I remember one player for smu did something wrong with academics. He left after that didn't play and smu still got a 1 year ban

Thanks, that's who I believe I was trying to remember. Thought of SMU but wasn't sure. That's why Brown was out of there, right?

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
https://www.sbnation.com/college-ba...yracuse-north-carolina-ncaa-ruling?yptr=yahoo

The NCAA’s unwillingness to take any action over North Carolina steering student athletes to classes that required little effort to earn a high grade for nearly two decades was bound to rub more than a few people the wrong way. One of those people is Syracuse men’s basketball coach Jim Boeheim. In 2015, the NCAA forced Boeheim to vacate 108 wins (the largest number of vacated victories in the history of NCAA investigations) and suspended him for nine ACC games. Though Boeheim wasn’t directly involved in Fab Melo receiving improper assistance with coursework or two other players receiving a small amount of money from the YMCA of Oneida, N.Y.

Not a fan of Boeheim, but I don't blame him one bit! I wish others had the courage to speak out...Harrick, Brown, Rose etc. It is utterly pathetic. The hypocrisy of the ncaa should be exposed for what it is.

Uh, Boeheim needs to shut his mouth. Yes, UNC got off like only UNC/Duke could and yes they should have been hammered. However, Jim Boeheim has no room to cry about what the NCAA did to Syracuse. There were coaches taking online classes for players, they were paying players, and they were hiding failed drug tests from the NCAA. Syracuse got exactly what they should have received from the NCAA, if not more. Boeheim is dirty as hell, just like Roy and UNC. We need coaches stepping up to call out the NCAA and UNC who are NOT dirty, not freaking Boeheim.

Uh, Boeheim needs to shut his mouth. Yes, UNC got off like only UNC/Duke could and yes they should have been hammered. However, Jim Boeheim has no room to cry about what the NCAA did to Syracuse. There were coaches taking online classes for players, they were paying players, and they were hiding failed drug tests from the NCAA. Syracuse got exactly what they should have received from the NCAA, if not more. Boeheim is dirty as hell, just like Roy and UNC. We need coaches stepping up to call out the NCAA and UNC who are NOT dirty, not freaking Boeheim.
The best way to take down a crime family to nail a flunkie for a petty crime and let him sing. Let's hear all about it, Jimmy.

The best way to take down a crime family to nail a flunkie for a petty crime and let him sing. Let's hear all about it, Jimmy.

I think we need coaches who are not also cheats to speak up, not cheats like Boeheim, Harrick, or others. Who cares when one criminal calls out another criminal? It's always more effective when stand-up guys call out snakes.

The big difference: unCheat did not admit or self-report. They essentially certified those fake classes and the NCAA said ok by you, ok by me. The other schools that got whacked self-reported and admitted their transgressions, and the NCAA had a green light to punish.

So, lesson learned: when it comes to academics, as long as a school certifies a course, the NCAA says nothing to see here.

Of course, we all know that only unCheat could get away with this.
Or pUKe.

Reactions: westerncat
Not to mention Jim Harrick lost his job at GA largely in part for one phony class taught by his son for basketball players.

One class, for one semester, for one credit hour. Compared to a sham major for 18 years.

Georgia took that stand and they thought it was wrong.

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/11/s...ds-harrick-and-withdraws-from-postseason.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/28/sports/georgia-s-harrick-resigns-after-ethics-accusations.html

I think when Clem Haskins and U of Minnesota got hammered it was over academics.
Yes they did,I think tutors were writing papers for players and maybe taking tests for them.Still not over the span of time involved at UNC nor were the numbers of athletes involved anywhere close to the same

Reactions: OHIO COLONEL
I've never cared for Boeheim ever but he has an excellent point and legitimate gripe. NCAA needs to be taken to court by individuals and schools over this obvious bias/double standard. Wasn't another school hit hard on questionable academics not too long ago? I forget who that was.
-fsu-wins-mike-bianchi-0514-story,amp.html

Who's the kid recently that's ineligible because he had enrolled early at a different school and had ATTENDED A CLASS before disenrolling before the school year and going somewhere else?

Talk about embracing the concept of student-athlete, NCAA

Thanks, that's who I believe I was trying to remember. Thought of SMU but wasn't sure. That's why Brown was out of there, right?

UConn got a post-season ban not long ago for players not getting good enough grades. NCAA: Fake grades in fake classes okay. Low real grades in real classes? Not acceptable!

"I'm not going to comment on anything about that," Boeheim said. "But, as you mentioned many times, in your writings, head coach responsibility. That didn't apply to North Carolina. Screamingly obvious. And I'm surprised that you, in particular, haven't been all over that. I'm supposed to know about a 10-page paper and they don't know about 18 years of As?"

More people need to say it,more people need to hear it said.
Ive been saying it for years...ive never understood why or how in the hell these coaches can keep their mouths shut in regards to that stuff. My guess is the dont want to step on any toes and draw unwanted attention to themselves or their program, who knows.

Bohemian is not saying that. He knows he did wrong.. He is pissed that nc did way more and got off Scott free. Scott free. NC is pure dirt and should be banned for good.

Bohemian is not saying that. He knows he did wrong.. He is pissed that nc did way more and got off Scott free. Scott free. NC is pure dirt and should be banned for good.

To me he just comes across as a cheater who is mad that he got punished for cheating. I guess I'm biased, but he's always come across as a little bitch to me, just like his buddy coach K. He's like the guy who gets caught doing something illegal and then snitches on everyone else to save their own hide.

With that said, I do think anyway we can bring more scrutiny against the way the NCAA handled the UNC situation the better. But, I think it would be far better if cheaters like Boeheim didn't lead the way. In fact, it might send the wrong message for a known cheater to call them out. Instead we need for coaches who people respect to start calling them out.

Just my opinions of course.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT