ADVERTISEMENT

Blue/white game

Based on that crowd, I would hope this would be a one and done thing. End zone bleachers not even out and about half full otherwise. Overall, looks about 40% capacity?
Seems like a poor way to debut the team and the multi-million dollar renovation of a historic building ... geez.

Reactions: KFuqua
You knew and we all did that people weren’t paying that kinda money for this event.
Best part was one day this week MJ said that when they told him about this event, he convinced them to lower prices…unbelievably out of touch.

In the future just do all tickets through Ticketmaster for the Blue/White and BBM.

Charge 20 or 25 for all tickets. Sell 25k-30k tickets and raise between 500k-750k. The bigger crowds will also help the overall energy in the building for players and fans alike. They can raise extra money through experiences/raffles/etc.

I think MJ also said it would be 70-75% full on the radio. Based on the pictures I’d say it’s less than a third full. Horrible management/planning on countless levels.

Reactions: megablue
Best part was one day this week MJ said that when they told him about this event, he convinced them to lower prices…unbelievably out of touch.

In the future just do all tickets through Ticketmaster for the Blue/White and BBM.

Charge 20 or 25 for all tickets. Sell 25k-30k tickets and raise between 500k-750k. The bigger crowds will also help the overall energy in the building for players and fans alike. They can raise extra money through experiences/raffles/etc.

I think MJ also said it would be 70-75% full on the radio. Based on the pictures I’d say it’s less than a third full. Horrible management/planning on countless levels.

MJ is a mouthpiece stooge for UK athletics. He doesn't know anything.

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't really expect much this year. Return this to the fans team and the rest of it takes care of itself. Instead, pretend it is playing about the jersey and then try to rape the fans for money. The fat guy #15 in the UofL team pic that we lost the recruiting battle with doesn't give me much hope..

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't really expect much this year. Return this to the fans team and the rest of it takes care of itself. Instead, pretend it is playing about the jersey and then try to rape the fans for money. The fat guy #15 in the UofL team pic that we lost the recruiting battle with doesn't give me much hope..

What are you babbling on about? Ali Khalifa didn’t have an offer to come here that I recall. There was speculation he might be asked by Pope to come along (and Pope does love his passing ability), but we were targeting multiple more talented bigs at that time who could actually score and play defense. We wound up getting two of them (Williams and Garrison) who are both in a different stratosphere from Khalifa. So your insinuation that we lost a recruiting battle to UL is laughable.

Secondly, in fairness to Khalifa, he isn’t even going to play this year due to an injury. So he’s out of shape AF. Not that he was Charles Atlas before… just saying.

He also said they’re raising $750k from the event, which was the first time I understood why they were doing this

67-66??

Burn it all down to the ground!!

a group of people are sitting at a table with glasses of beer

I went over to UK Athletics stream and they had two inane yappers yapping on and on about nothing and there was the scrimmage kind of out of focus in the background. It was kind of like going to a Led Zeppelin concert and Menudo sits down in front of you and plays really loud and drowns out jimmy Page.

Guys no matter what this is the future of college (semi pro) athletics. It is no longer about school what so ever. It is about a Brand, KENTUCKY WILDCATS, Pittsburgh Steelers, Cincinnati Reds and so forth. Once money grubbing starts it only gets worse. It does not get better. In a few years UK tickets will go through the roof (even more than now), fees will be larger than ever and just like Pro sports they are more for the elite (to go see the teams) than it is for the normal fan.

I do not follow my Pro teams any more, have not watched an NBA game in more than 10 years, have not watched a full NFL game in more than 3 years, have not watched the Reds in more than 6 years. It will be the same sooner or later when the money grubbing gets out of control with college (semi pro) athletics. I told my wife that Friday night was my last time going to Rupp. I said in 2022 that was the last time going to Commonwealth Stadium.

Corporate tailgating will be taking over for good in a year or 2 as UK will start renting spots to tailgate. It is very sad but they have to keep up with other Teams as much as possible. You will never, ever see the Grove at Ole Miss be a corporate only tailgate event.

I will watch on TV for now. Just a sad time for college athletics.

If it stays on the same track, you will see more people opt out I do believe.
Excellent post, and it's where I've been for years. Even high school basketball games that used to be fun to watch aren't anymore. They're no longer about school tradition or rivalries. It's dumb players and their "brands".

Hopefully that score is for a 20 minute scrimmage?

This is the weirdest thread I’ve read on here in a while. Five pages of complaints about them not scrimmaging and then updates on a scrimmage with threes flying left and right and then a score not even in the 70’s.

Again I’m just going to assume that’s for 20 minutes.

Reactions: RunninRichie

This is the weirdest thread I’ve read on here in a while. Five pages of complaints about them not scrimmaging and then updates on a scrimmage with threes flying left and right and then a score not even in the 70’s.

Most complaints were due to no television, not sticking to a standard blue white game, and bundling the women in for this again after bbm.

I am curious like you are about how long the scrimmage was.

Reactions: travisbickle
Yeah, I'm working another job while still looking to get back in tech. It makes 26/hour and that still feels crappy. What the hell happened?
Same. Hubby and I working at an OK employer (way too many chiefs compared to little indians) at low pay, and seriously considering finding a way to earn extra income on the side. Nearly 60% of our take-home pay is going to paying most of the bills. Sickening. And I'd *love* to get into tech.

Most complaints were due to no television, not sticking to a standard blue white game, and bundling the women in for this again after bbm.

Looks like a full 40 minutes according to the box score.

Glad the attendees actually did get to see a full game.

It's absolute travesty that they've used the blue white game like this.
This used to be $5 to get in. 5 bucks for yearssssssssssss.
Sometimes this was the only way the common people could watch a game.
I do not support this and I hope it goes terribly. Especially with it not being on TV.
DO NOT GO.
They can find their NiL somewhere else.
And I better not read about one Dod Gamned player bitching about their NIL. They can take their "brands" and shove it.

I think anyone paying attention to the pseudo scrimmage during Midnight Madness could see that the team is behind the 8-ball. They've got a long, long way to go. Those players we have WERE great on teams that had already been playing together sometimes for years. Every single one of them is new to THIS team.

I think anyone paying attention to the pseudo scrimmage during Midnight Madness could see that the team is behind the 8-ball. They've got a long, long way to go. Those players we have WERE great on teams that had already been playing together sometimes for years. Every single one of them is new to THIS team.
My takeaway is offensively they will be good,
But defense has a while to go

Yeah no I get it I was just exaggerating to make the point about the mixed message did whether they were going to scrimmage or not. And im also glad the paying folks got to see actual scrimmage live action.

I’m going to chalk it up to the teams actually putting effort in defense and playing an actual competitive game. The tiny clip looked like guys scrapping and d-ing up. That’s definitely a change from the past so hopefully they work out the other kinks.

And we've seen that gem before. Pope better get that defense ratcheted up.
Agree and cal had 3 guys who are better than every player on this roster as well. There isn’t a Sheppard, reeves or dilly to go off on this roster.
I think they will be fine, but the defense needs to get better for sure

I went.
The clock ran a lot, including while ft's were shot.
The men's scrimmage started at 730.
Beer sales ended at 745. For real. Wtf
Krissa did not play.
Perry was hesitant in the first half.
Chandler looked good.
Williams is bigger than big. Can't shoot ft's.
Otega and carr looked the best to me.
Half full, including some obvious ticket give away sections. Myself included.
Kind of what you might call an colossal fail.
Fans don't get loud unless we are pouring the coals to a worthy foe.
Intra squad doesn't lend itself to fanatics.
GBB!

I went.
The clock ran a lot, including while ft's were shot.
The men's scrimmage started at 730.
Beer sales ended at 745. For real. Wtf
Krissa did not play.
Perry was hesitant in the first half.
Chandler looked good.
Williams is bigger than big. Can't shoot ft's.
Otega and carr looked the best to me.
Half full, including some obvious ticket give away sections. Myself included.
Kind of what you might call an colossal fail.
Fans don't get loud unless we are pouring the coals to a worthy foe.
Intra squad doesn't lend itself to fanatics.
GBB!

Half full is awful. If you had paid, would you have been happy with the product for the night?

Also what ere you thing initially? Good defense bad offense , bad both?
IMO, not all of these players came from systems where there are lots of offensive sets. It's difficult enough to learn a "set" without having defense trying to throw things off. It's why we looked so awful during the Cal years. Without sets you're reduced to one-on-one action (ISO). If the guys (or gals) on the floor aren't used to constant motion, you'll see a lot of folks running into one another, bunching up. We saw that at Midnight Madness. It's normal. But it also means that instead of looking for "options" while in motion, you're trying to figure out where to move your own body, and then you just have a Princeton style offense where the defense just sits back and waits for the silliness to play out. With motion you can chew up A LOT of clock, and you if you're not capitalizing on the possession, you BETTER play great defense. That's my worry. I believe we'll take our lumps.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT