ADVERTISEMENT

Block/charge rule has crushed UK in the NCAAT

Runnin'Ramel

All-American
Jan 19, 2005
Just off the top of my head ...

2003 - Barbour was called for a terrible charge against Marquette when UK was digging itself out of a big hole and finally appeared to cut the lead to single digits on a bucket and what should have been an and-one. At that point, it was teddy ball-game. Momentum destroyed.

2004 - Azubuike was called for a horrific charge against UAB down the stretch in a game UK lost on a final shot attempt. I was right there and thought I might have to be restrained from attacking the ref.

2014 - Poythress was called for a criminal-level terrible charge against UConn in what should have been an and-one in the national championship game at a critical time.

2018 - Knox was called for a very debatable charge on what should have been an and-one against Kansas State, in a game UK lost on a final shot attempt. Not only did it wipe away 2-3 points for UK, but it led to Cal's infamous coaches box technical foul going the other way. It was a minimum 4-point swing, likely more, in a game decided by 3 points.

I know there are more, but these were critical and all went against UK. I have wiped the Elite 8 screwjob from my memory last year against UNC, so I'm sure there's one in there since it was a final shot loss.

It's the single most mis-called foul in the game today and it is RUINING NCAA Basketball.

The NCAA needs to do like the NBA and ALWAYS call a Block unless it's 100% a Charge(feet set, defender squared with off. player, offensive player lowers shoulder out of control, man defending drive is the only one that can draw it, no off side defender able to slide over to draw it).

It keeps the athletes that people pay money to see fly around and score from doing more. It definitely has KILLED UK over the years as your examples show.

If the NCAA(which is the DUMBEST organization in sports) wants to make college basketball more exciting and better, they would make the above changes to how Refs call a Block/Charge.

UK, under Cal, seems to be heavily victimized by the charge/block calls. This year, in particular, our best game was driving to the basket and scoring. Yet, way too many times we are called for charging when the defense was moving into us and not vice-versa. I wish something would change.

This is one thing that pisses me off every game..You never and i mean never see one of our guys step up and take a charge.Most of the time we have 3 guys trying to block the shot and give up the rebound put back..

The block/charge call is absolutely the most missed call in all of basketball. IMO, 80% of the calls are incorrect. Most are called charges when they should be either blocks or, most likely, non calls because neither player gains an advantage. The refs seems to love making the charge call (like umps making a called third strike). The direct result is that the flop is now a strategy instead of a weak play. This should be reviewed in the off-season but won't be.

The block/charge call is absolutely the most missed call in all of basketball. IMO, 80% of the calls are incorrect. Most are called charges when they should be either blocks or, most likely, non calls because neither player gains an advantage. The refs seems to love making the charge call (like umps making a called third strike). The direct result is that the flop is now a strategy instead of a weak play. This should be reviewed in the off-season but won't be.

Yep. It’s the ref’s “TV time”

Reactions: Cowtown Cat

2003 - Barbour was called for a terrible charge against Marquette when UK was digging itself out of a big hole and finally appeared to cut the lead to single digits on a bucket and what should have been an and-one. At that point, it was teddy ball-game. Momentum destroyed.

2004 - Azubuike was called for a horrific charge against UAB down the stretch in a game UK lost on a final shot attempt. I was right there and thought I might have to be restrained from attacking the ref.

2014 - Poythress was called for a criminal-level terrible charge against UConn in what should have been an and-one in the national championship game at a critical time.

2018 - Knox was called for a very debatable charge on what should have been an and-one against Kansas State, in a game UK lost on a final shot attempt. Not only did it wipe away 2-3 points for UK, but it led to Cal's infamous coaches box technical foul going the other way. It was a minimum 4-point swing, likely more, in a game decided by 3 points.

I know there are more, but these were critical and all went against UK. I have wiped the Elite 8 screwjob from my memory last year against UNC, so I'm sure there's one in there since it was a final shot loss.
I remember each and everyone of them well. Karl Hess made the calls in 03, and 04!!

They did that when the Harrison’s were playing in the early season. If you drove to the basket and there was contact, it was a block. That lasted a month or two.

And it's a big reason we have scores in the high 60's low 70's in todays game. If the NCAA would have stuck with that plan, we would have scores in the 90's again.

Heck, I'm old enough to remember when college basketball games routinely had scores in the 90's WITHOUT a shot clock. It was because EVERY foul call was geared toward the offensive player's ability to SCORE.

Imagine that.:scream:

It's the single most mis-called foul in the game today and it is RUINING NCAA Basketball.

The NCAA needs to do like the NBA and ALWAYS call a Block unless it's 100% a Charge(feet set, defender squared with off. player, offensive player lowers shoulder out of control, man defending drive is the only one that can draw it, no off side defender able to slide over to draw it).

It keeps the athletes that people pay money to see fly around and score from doing more. It definitely has KILLED UK over the years as your examples show.

If the NCAA(which is the DUMBEST organization in sports) wants to make college basketball more exciting and better, they would make the above changes to how Refs call a Block/Charge.
Just a question about your comment on whether a charge should be called.

Who determines if it is a 100% charge or not.? just curious

If one is just going to stand there hands over crotch playing no defense call a block every time.

Just a question about your comment on whether a charge should be called.

Who determines if it is a 100% charge or not.?

The Referee. But it should ALWAYS slant toward the offensive player. In the parentheses of my post that you quoted, I laid out the criteria for calling it a charge. It used to be the ONLY way a charge was called.

I realize that Refs LOVE calling offensive fouls. IMHO, the NCAA needs to emphasize offense to make the game more exciting and raise the scoring. The EXPLOSION of the Charge/Off. foul calls over the past 15-20 years have hurt the game.

Last edited:

I was thinking this very thing yesterday.

The problem is the benefit of the doubt is with the defense, if they could possibly call a charge they will.

I'm in favor of only the guy guarding the ball can take a charge, if a player beats his man and some guy from the other side of the court runs over and slides under him at the last second, that is trash.

I have said it for years, taking a charge is not a basketball play. It needs to be completely taken out of the game. It’s almost always a blocking charge in the NBA therefore guys don’t even try to draw a charge.

The Referee. But it should ALWAYS slanted toward the offensive player. In the parentheses of my post that you quoted, I laid out the criteria for calling it a charge. It used to be the ONLY way a charge was called.

I realize that Refs LOVE calling offensive fouls. IMHO, the NCAA needs to emphasize offense to make the game more exciting and raise the scoring. The EXPLOSION of the Charge/Off. foul calls over the past 15-20 years have hurt the game.
I think the charge/block is one of the hardest call to make, thats is why the refs are so inconsistent. I agree there is room for improvement.
What bothers me the most is the no- calls. Carrying the ball could be called nearly every trip up the floor and its not hard to spot. We could talk all day about basketball reffing .Its the hardest sport to officiate I think. jmho

Last edited:
I have said it for years, taking a charge is not a basketball play. It needs to be completely taken out of the game. It’s almost always a blocking charge in the NBA therefore guys don’t even try to draw a charge.
I agree, it's not a basketball play. I call it bitch ball myself.

Flopping sucks , but until they change the rules or change the emphasis to quit calling so many charges we need to at LEAST teach taking a legit charge is actually a defensive tool. But its another one of those Cal things that he just won't change . Its like " we are too manly to take a charge " Well losing sucks , we should take legit charges . But we dont . I'm not talking flopping . I mean stopping some of the endless penetration we give up .

I think you could probably get rid of 50% if charges if you made it illegal for the refs to Patrick Swayze dirty dance before they point and make the call. If they were only allowed to blow their whistle then many of them wouldn’t find the call as appealing.

Reactions: catben
We could talk all day about basketball reffing .Its the hardest sport to officiate I think. jmho

That's why the NCAA needs to get rid of all of these old men trying to keep up with these young athletes.

The allowance for "carrying the ball" doesn't bother me that bad because it enhances the offense and they rarely call it on anyone.

The Block/Charge affects both sides every time it is called wrongly.

Reactions: preacherfan
I will literally pay someone $100 to do a video montage of bad charge calls with refs dancing as they make the call, set to the music “I’ve had the time of my life”

Reactions: preacherfan
That's why the NCAA needs to get rid of all of these old men trying to keep up with these young athletes.

The allowance for "carrying the ball" doesn't bother me that bad because it enhances the offense and they rarely call it on anyone.

The Block/Charge affects both sides every time it is called wrongly.
I would think any call that was wrong would affect both sides.
You admit that carrying the ball enhances the offense, so why should either get an advantage. Just like illegal screens, they get away with fouls every game. Every team has its pride, whether its defense or offense. one should not get any advantage over the other.

You admit that carrying the ball enhances the offense, so why should either get an advantage. Just like illegal screens, they get away with fouls every game. Every team has its pride, whether its defense or offense. one should not get any advantage over the other.

If it isn't called either way, there is NO advantage. "Carrying the ball" isn't called at ANY level anymore.

My whole point has been the NCAA needs to do more about enhancing offense in the game today. I know very few fans that go to games wanting to see a defensive battle. I want to see MORE offense.

I would think that most would agree. You may not and that's OK.

The charge call is so aggressively called in college that many coaches game plan to flop.

What I really can't stand is when the offensive guy comes in and angles his body and does everything he can to avoid contact but there is just the least little bit of contact, and the defensive guy falls down, and gets the charge call. It's clearly obvious there was no way there was enough contact to knock the defender down, but he falls down and gets the call every time.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT