ADVERTISEMENT

BJ Boston

Hopefully this is as bad as he can play. He hurt his team on the defensive end not only guarding but not defensive rebounding and snowbirding every shot. Offensively he hasn't been much better. I think he's just a kid having a terrible day and trying to do too much.

I'm thinking he was pressing cause Cal was there . The Roach kid going to Duke got the best of him this game though .

Defense will be what Cal emphasizes with Boston. That will make him a great college and pro player. I don’t pay a lot of attention to these kind of games because of the fatigue factor I see on the players faces. You can tell it is just another game of the many that they play. Not a whole BB lot of intensity, especially on the defensive end!

So in summary he did not look good today like the awesome superstar that everyone of our recruits is always suggested to be right away.

Reactions: dckala2
BJ will also benefit from strength training (very wirey) and diet. He needs to add good weight and strength, but that is nothing new for highschool players.

I didn't see much of a structured offense by Sierra. It seemed to be a lot of passing around and first-one-open take the shot.

Only time I’ve seen him so small sample size.

Definitely not a good showing. Floated around, didn’t stick his nose in, played entitled.

Assume he’s better than this. He’s long and quick so there’s that.

Keels kid looked good.

So in summary he did not look good today like the awesome superstar that everyone of our recruits is always suggested to be right away.
I always love comments like this. Pick the extreme on one side that you don't like and take the exact opposite extreme. He's a senior in high school. He's not a finished product, but he is very talented and one of the top ten to fifteen players in his class.

The entire team Boston plays on--needs to be introduced to each other. I have never seen so much one on one by 4 players on the floor for one team in my life. Even AAU ball has some teamwork and recognition of teammates.

The other team moved the ball, found the open man and WON with team effort on both ends.

The better COACHED team won this game. Boston had a terrible game, on both ends. matador on defense and far too many wild shots.

rr

Yeap, have watched him play 4 or 5 times, first game I have seen him play bad. just Google Sierra Canyon v/s Dominican from Saturday. Boston balled out and flat put Giannis' little brother on a poster. But be careful, every Sierra Canyon game you look up it will say "Bronny James and BJ Boston did this or did that." Against Kuminga's team a couple weeks ago, the highlight topic says "Bronny James and BJ Boston beats Patrick school." Bronny James had 3 points in the final minute in mop up duty, his only points of the game. One of the headlines read "Bronny James and Zaire Wade shine for Sierra Canyon" neither player did jack shit. But it gets hits with the NBAers sons listed. Against Patrick School, the 3rd quarter BJ Boston flat put on a show. Pull up 3's, taking it to the hoop, behind the back, crossovers. He did it all. Scored about 12 points in a 3 minute span.

I thought boston was great. i liked the way he battled on offensive rebounds.
The duck guard was impressive.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I am a BOSTON fan. He is a major league recruit. today, not his day.

Watching a full game, it is obvious the coach has little strategy for so many talented players.

The other coach was outstanding. Had players passing to open mates and teamwork was the name of the game, as it should be.

Boston is receiving little to ZERO direction beyond his own ability from the guy in charge.

rr

I am a BOSTON fan. He is a major league recruit. today, not his day.

Watching a full game, it is obvious the coach has little strategy for so many talented players.

The other coach was outstanding. Had players passing to open mates and teamwork was the name of the game, as it should be.

Boston is receiving little to ZERO direction beyond his own ability from the guy in charge.

rr
And what is encouraging is that still seems to have improved this year despite the lack of coaching. Might make it a challenge at first when he gets into a more structured situation, but you know you're at least starting with an extremely talented player.

Not much different than how down some on here are on a freshman that’s only played half a college season

I always love comments like this. Pick the extreme on one side that you don't like and take the exact opposite extreme. He's a senior in high school. He's not a finished product, but he is very talented and one of the top ten to fifteen players in his class.

To ME it seems like Willaims will do his thing for a while, then Boston will take the ball and do his thing for a while. Very little of the time do you see a whole team concept and everyone involved. Now when they get a lead or it is a up and down game, other players get involved and Boston and Williams actually pass it really well, but too much of those two taking turns going off. #15 the pf / center is a pretty good player when involved. JMO when watching their games.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I am not falling for this stuff anymore. Go watch Youtube videos and some games of Kahlil Whitney last year. So far, every recruit we have according to the posts here is that they are better than their ratings. Every year it has been the same. I truly hope all of that is true, I really do that each recruit we have gets here and is a superstar. But, until I see any of our recruits play against other major talent I will reserve judgement from these High School games. Boston looks like a decent player but did you see what someone posted above, a finger roll relatively unguarded layup. It is like watching all the dunks, well they won't be occuring in colllege unless it is a fast break turnover.

Now someone who can shoot when guarded, I like seeing that; someone who reliably hits free throws, that's a good sign, someone with lateral movement on defense and can hold their position, someone that blocks shots without going for shot fakes, and someone that shows overall basketball skills is always nice. But, again I am not falling for how great anyone is going to be until they show it at the college level.

I am not falling for this stuff anymore. Go watch Youtube videos and some games of Kahlil Whitney last year. So far, every recruit we have according to the posts here is that they are better than their ratings. Every year it has been the same. I truly hope all of that is true, I really do that each recruit we have gets here and is a superstar. But, until I see any of our recruits play against other major talent I will reserve judgement from these High School games. Boston looks like a decent player but did you see what someone posted above, a finger roll relatively unguarded layup. It is like watching all the dunks, well they won't be occuring in colllege unless it is a fast break turnover.

Now someone who can shoot when guarded, I like seeing that; someone who reliably hits free throws, that's a good sign, someone with lateral movement on defense and can hold their position, someone that blocks shots without going for shot fakes, and someone that shows overall basketball skills is always nice. But, again I am not falling for how great anyone is going to be until they show it at the college level.
I understand not crowning these kids the best player ever, but Boston is very good. I actually remember watching Whitney videos and thinking it was one of the least encouraging mixtapes I've ever seen. I think your first post just came across like he's a trash player and he's not. He's evaluated regularly and has been on national television multiple times this year and the general consensus is that he will likely get a bump in the rankings. It is absolutely fair to wait until until they prove it at the college level and I agree that people should temper their expectations. I wouldn't have even remarked if you made a statement like that. Either way, we're all entitled to our opinions I just thought your first one was the extreme in the other direction.

Well watch the game film. Against Patrick School, BJ pulled up from NBA range with a guy in his face and drained several 3's. His ball handling is amazing for a guy his size. The kid looks like he has the ball on a yo yo, he has so much control. He is a 17 year old kid, when Stars are in the stands, they are going to want to put on a show, but everyone does that, even Duke recruits. I love BJ Boston's game, he has a lot of Kevin Knox to him, but with better handles and all around game.

I understand not crowning these kids the best player ever, but Boston is very good. I actually remember watching Whitney videos and thinking it was one of the least encouraging mixtapes I've ever seen. I think your first post just came across like he's a trash player and he's not. He's evaluated regularly and has been on national television multiple times this year and the general consensus is that he will likely get a bump in the rankings. It is absolutely fair to wait until until they prove it at the college level and I agree that people should temper their expectations. I wouldn't have even remarked if you made a statement like that. Either way, we're all entitled to our opinions I just thought your first one was the extreme in the other direction.

Thank you for the clarification. I certainly didn't view my intent as extreme but when anyone including me writes their opinion/thoughts we may have a certain perception and others may have a different understanding on what's being communicated. I love my CATS, want them to win every game, keep the legacy going, win National Championships, etc. I do think I am weary of the wait until the next awesome class posts because it has been that way now for several years. Remember we were ranked number 1 early on and I think everyone believed it. Let's hope we end up number one at the end of the year though.

Shot taker not a shot maker - playing as bad as he can today
Yesterday he was but boy is his J is SWEEEEEEEET . Kid is going to have a few games where he goes 6-10 from 3 here ( like Herro did last year and even Johnson had a 7-10 performance) . Best player we have signed since Fox including Maxey or Clarke. And I have watched him play 10-12 times so I am not basing this on mixtapes . If you base anything on mixtapes you are in trouble.

As someone else said with Whitney it is pretty obvious he was going to take a while to adjust to the college game ( as he was a top 10 HS player due to physically dominating everyone which he can't do in college) but Whitney will be a damn good player by this time next year and a pro. I have said this before but the people giving up on Whitney are the same ones who gave up on Richards I would bet and the same ones who have given up on EJ . The nuance that it takes to understand every player develops at a different pace is lost on many. Patience is a virtue as they say.

Last edited:

Problem with your argument is from what we can tell from all the rankers, it sounds like Boston will move up to top 10.

Whitney never did. Also many state that this class is stronger than last year's class.

I'm with you on this but........ Because of circumstances (little Bronny) I've been able to watch several complete games of Bostons team. Boston has actual basketball skills , great handle to get where he wants to go , and a variety of ways to score including an outside jump shot . Like all freshmen he will need a lot of work on defense and Cals gonna have to be on him about " just make the easy play" but after seeing him several times I'm expecting him to be an impact freshman .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT