ADVERTISEMENT

BJ Boston stock up after workouts

I hear this a lot, and I just don't understand this mentality. The players are human beings, only caring about while they benefit your team (or not), seems so crass, regardless of whether or not you care about the NBA.

He didn't have a great year but I wish him nothing but success. I don't think for one minute that he didn't try or he was just biding his time here. I think he suffered from a lack of team talent and unbalanced roster.

Lots of guys tell fans they don’t matter, shut up and watch. Then many NBA players treat common people like absolute trash.

I don’t know any of these guys personally. They don’t care about me, and I don’t really think about them. I watch UK basketball, and I’m not really into the NBA. I don’t see anything wrong with not caring either way when they leave the campus.

I don’t wish them harm, and I want UK players to do well generally, but modern players are very unlikable, and it’s made it harder and harder to care.

The guys that return to UK (Sky Walker etc) I do care. Genuinely nice players who value UK fans and aren’t self centered guys, I care more. But really, the idea that I need to consider them on a basis other than basketball just doesn’t make sense.

I think the guys who push this idea the hardest are very political, and since they usually agree with the direction young black players are pushed, they want them supported to a weird degree. I’m not involved in ideology, but I generally disagree with these guys so supporting them and their efforts is also something I’m not going to do.

Lots of guys tell fans they don’t matter, shut up and watch. Then many NBA players treat common people like absolute trash.

I don’t know any of these guys personally. They don’t care about me, and I don’t really think about them. I watch UK basketball, and I’m not really into the NBA. I don’t see anything wrong with not caring either way when they leave the campus.

I don’t wish them harm, and I want UK players to do well generally, but modern players are very unlikable, and it’s made it harder and harder to care.

The guys that return to UK (Sky Walker etc) I do care. Genuinely nice players who value UK fans and aren’t self centered guys, I care more. But really, the idea that I need to consider them on a basis other than basketball just doesn’t make sense.

I think the guys who push this idea the hardest are very political, and since they usually agree with the direction young black players are pushed, they want them supported to a weird degree. I’m not involved in ideology, but I generally disagree with these guys so supporting them and their efforts is also something I’m not going to do.
I don't see how wishing a guy well who played for a team we root for has anything to do with politics.

Reactions: crashtestdummy
I don't see how wishing a guy well who played for a team we root for has anything to do with politics.

For some guys it has everything to do with it. There’s a common theme of guys that really go into politics and Agee with them that want everyone to bow. I don’t subscribe to it and they aren’t really fooling anyone.

I also don’t care if someone doesn’t get into that and just wishes them well. But the poster I was responding to took issue with a gentleman who claimed he doesn’t care after UK. There’s nothing wrong with that. There’s nothing wrong supporting them at your program and not really caring when they leave. It’s not a requirement and you’re not a bad person if you don’t. They came about basketball, when they don’t play for UK anymore there’s no requirement

Even bringing into it that these are “human beings” is really weak. We don’t know them, they don’t usually care about us, and past the uniform what’s the point if you’re just a typical fan of UK?

Last edited:
You guys are being too hard on him imo, he looks much stronger/more athletic if anyone has actually seen him recently. Dude watched his best friend die right in front of him, survivors guilt must be crazy for a 19 year old. Laced it up every game for us and did not quit...... I'll be rooting for him
BJ and TC played ball together for a year, I don't think that puts TC in the "best friends" category.
We've all suffered through tragedy in our lives, that doesn't excuse us from criticism and quite honestly, BJB deserves to be criticized. He knew he was playing ME BALL and he single handedly lost multiple games for UK and he didn’t seem to give a shit.
And yeah, he "laced em up every day", but can you really say he laced em up for UK? Didn't look like it to me.

The lack of PG play hurt Boston more than any other UK player. He couldn't get the ball delivered to him in a position to make productive plays. Combine this with a lack of physical strength caused him to really struggle.
LMAO, you're putting the blame on the PG? No way man, BJB stunk it up all season while playing Me-ball.
Askew didn’t miss all those shots, Askew didn't cause BJB to be weak, Askew didn’t stop BJB from using his driving ability and length to drive and score, Askew didn’t prevent BJB from rebounding and Askew can’t be blamed for BJB's lack of defensive intensity.

You act like BJB was a big fat 5 that could only score when given the ball in the paint. No, BJB was supposed to be the total package, truth is, he couldn’t do anything well.

when the Boston stock is lying beneath the bottom, one would think he is on the rise.
maybe he learned to incorporate the "pass" option in his game.

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua
I hear this a lot, and I just don't understand this mentality. The players are human beings, only caring about while they benefit your team (or not), seems so crass, regardless of whether or not you care about the NBA.

He didn't have a great year but I wish him nothing but success. I don't think for one minute that he didn't try or he was just biding his time here. I think he suffered from a lack of team talent and unbalanced roster.
"He didn't have a great year". Seriously… " great"? He didn’t even have a decent year, in fact, he had an awful year in which he single handedly lost a lot of games for UK.

I've been hard on the kid, but I'll say this about him, he kept his head up and kept trying. He’s just not very good, but maybe the system was a bad fit for him.
Lets be honest, Cal's offense isn't a good fit for today's players and if BJB kills it in his first year in the NBA, it won't look good for Cal.
Today's players? Cals system is built around guys who can take their man off the dribble.
That's always number 1 in the eyes of the NBA and quite frankly anyone that knows basketball. Boston needed to be on a team like the one we have coming in, but he wasn't. I expect him to succeed having grown men around him. Has zero to do with cal except he missed on a top recruit pg

You guys are being too hard on him imo, he looks much stronger/more athletic if anyone has actually seen him recently. Dude watched his best friend die right in front of him, survivors guilt must be crazy for a 19 year old. Laced it up every game for us and did not quit...... I'll be rooting for him
I agree that it sucks what happened to him and Clarke but he doesn’t deserved to be drafted because of it happening.

Shooting,Defense, and play making are a B? I agree with the athleticism and inside scoring but he’s very streaky and 30% doesn’t indicate above average shooting potential. His handle wasn’t great, he’s weak as they say. How he has a A- potential blows my mind though. I hope he does well but he flat out looked over rated. We have all seen the talent we expected to do well and Nerlens and T Jones don’t even play in the league anymore. Would anyone take Boston over them?

Shooting,Defense, and play making are a B? I agree with the athleticism and inside scoring but he’s very streaky and 30% doesn’t indicate above average shooting potential. His handle wasn’t great, he’s weak as they say. How he has a A- potential blows my mind though. I hope he does well but he flat out looked over rated. We have all seen the talent we expected to do well and Nerlens and T Jones don’t even play in the league anymore. Would anyone take Boston over them?
Let’s not put Nerlens out of the league just yet lol

Today's players? Cals system is built around guys who can take their man off the dribble.
That's always number 1 in the eyes of the NBA and quite frankly anyone that knows basketball. Boston needed to be on a team like the one we have coming in, but he wasn't. I expect him to succeed having grown men around him. Has zero to do with cal except he missed on a top recruit pg
The very last thing Boston needs is grown men around him, even if they are on his team. Truth is, BJB is extremely soft and not prepared for big boy basketball.

If he isn’t sorry, I didn’t think he got resigned. I haven’t watched much the past couple years.
He was pretty effective for the Knicks at times this year. I think he had a career high in blocked shots, too.

edit: just looked it up. He was actually 3rd in the NBA in blocked shots per game at 2.2 this season. Nice!

He was pretty effective for the Knicks at times this year. I think he had a career high in blocked shots, too.

edit: just looked it up. He was actually 3rd in the NBA in blocked shots per game at 2.2 this season. Nice!
That’s awesome, still one of my favorite games of the Cal era is when he erased Missippi State I believe for like 8 blocks. He had the best timing for jumping of any big man we had. AD was just physically dominate, Nerlens was really skillful on blocking shots.

That’s awesome, still one of my favorite games of the Cal era is when he erased Missippi State I believe for like 8 blocks. He had the best timing for jumping of any big man we had. AD was just physically dominate, Nerlens was really skillful on blocking shots.
Ole Miss 😃

Sounds like a Matt Pilgrim
I mean people love to say this but at OK ST Pilgrim was a 7 and 6 guy in 20 mpg and only 5 attempts a game. Plenty respectable. He was a practice legend here but he wasn’t a practice legend who didn’t deliver—Cal just ran him off. Example of a guy with off-court issues, not an underachiever or a practice-only guy.

I mean people love to say this but at OK ST Pilgrim was a 7 and 6 guy in 20 mpg and only 5 attempts a game. Plenty respectable. He was a practice legend here but he wasn’t a practice legend who didn’t deliver—Cal just ran him off. Example of a guy with off-court issues, not an underachiever or a practice-only guy.
Considering he never played a game here and there was only practice reports, imo hes a ‘practice-only guy.’ we just never got to see him under the bright lights like we did BJ.

Good for him….sometimes just takes more time to get to where you need to be. He struggled mightily here, but I liked that he never seem frustrated and never put his head down. That’s hard to do for an adult, much less a teenager. Hope that he’s able to turn the corner and capitalize on the opportunity.
He didn’t have anything to worry about last year, Cal gave him the green light and never got on him about anything. As a professional he will learn if your off, your not playing, you don’t play D, your on the bench. Real Life is Hard

I don’t know BJ Boston from Adam, but I played some college football and one thing I do know. I don’t want a guy who scored 0 points in the biggest most important game of the year going to war with me. Will he be a good pro maybe if he grows up but right now I wouldn’t draft him in the 12 th round much less the first.

Physical weakness really really hurt him this past season. So did not having good enough other guard play. I think in a couple years well see him develop in to an actual basketball player.

He was unbelievably physically immature. I know he was 18 but I wouldn't believe it if he didn't presumably have a birth certificate to back it up. He looked 14.

I think that's why pretty early he went to mostly jump shots. He wasnt strong enough to finish and he was brittle so it was a big risk. Then our awful pg play effected his shooting. When the offense finally ran through Jackson/brooks and we forced rotations, Boston shot well.

He has the skill. He will mature and gain strength. He'll be a good player but drafting him means you're basically gifting him the rookie contract, because you won't be getting anything out of him.

For all the people trying to find a "he's got potential and his workouts are turning heads"....just sit back and soak in this stat line.

- 30 minutes per game over 25 games
- 11.5 points, 4.5 rebounds, 1.6 assists, 1.4 TOs, .2 blocks, 1.3 steals
- 35% FG, 30%3pt and 77%FT

You can talk about lack of PG, weak interior players, lack of summer workouts, etc..all you want. Those stats are really awful no matter how you slice it up. About the only stat is solid was his steals were nice for a wing player. And Davion Mintz found a way to have a solid year without a good PG and same interior play. I'm all on board BJ can add strength as his matures....but even smaller kids like Brandon Knight, Doron Lamb, Herro, Booker, Ullis, etc..were all not what I'd define as strong players for guards but they found way to at least shoot the ball well. How in any world people will try to argue he's a better shooter than you'd expect completely dumbfounds me. BJ had to get pretty hot streak at the end to get his 3pt % to 30%....which is very bad.

Reactions: KFuqua and Fox2monk
BJ had to get pretty hot streak at the end to get his 3pt % to 30%....which is very bad.
30% from 3 is the really interesting stat for Boston, because it’s simultaneously really bad but also better than it seemed. He was a 25% 3 point shooter the majority of the year.

Reactions: Fox2monk and chroix
His 25% from 3 point range was awful, but if they tracked his shooting from 8' and in, I would not be shocked to see a single digit percentage.
I have never seen a guy fire bricks from 5' before, BJB managed to do that consistently.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT