ADVERTISEMENT

Billy Preston's mom: "I don't care what they say to you.. YOU DON'T KNOW"

The only problems with all of this are...
1) Preston was not cited for his wreck
2) KU investigated internally then self-reported
3) Preston never played a game
4) All the witnesses testified under oath that KU coaches knew nothing (in spite of their whole defense that some coaches were complicit)
5) So why would Self knowingly play DeSousa if he actually knew there were payments... at the same time holding Preston out, investigating, and self-reporting a matter that would have never gotten out otherwise? The only answer is that Self didn't know.
6) The alleged $2,500 payment to DeSousa's guardian can be paid back and forgotten, as the NCAA has allowed many times in the past.
7) Unfortunately, the texts are too vague and could easily be explained away.
8) Unless there is something else that comes to light... Kansas skates. Kansas has certainly had more than their share of off the court issues since Self took over, and they have gotten unfair breaks from the NCAA already... they may be crooked, but objectively looking at the facts made public so far... there isn't anything the NCAA can do.
@Blue Decade why did you change your username? Kansas fan masking as a UK fan. [laughing]

Reactions: morgousky
You do know that the NCAA slapped the crap out of UofLOL and took away their championship and an entire season of wins, AFTER they let UNC skate, don't you? They threw a Hall of Fame coach under the bus for less than what Kansas appears to have done here over several years. I don't know why people think KU is just gonna skate. This is apples : oranges with what UNC did. Much closer to what UofLOL did, and actually worse as they now have Bill Self dead to rights being personally aware of Adidas paying recruits large sums of money. I see seasons and Final Fours vacated, and a possible Show Cause order on Bill Self at the end of this.

This isn't just about pro agents paying recruits under the table to get them signed later on when they turn pro either. It's about paying recruits to sign with a specific Adidas-sponsored university, and the coach of that university knowing all about it and willingly taking those recruits with full knowledge that they received illegal benefits.
Valid point and I may be out of line by saying this but the only reason UL was dealt such a harsh penalty was because of the lewdness of the act. The story plastered on ESPN that involved strippers and objectifying women forced the hand of the NCAA. They had to act or look like pigs. Same situation at Penn State, except different. I feel if it’s a money violation or bribery the coach only needs to claim ignorance and get the media to back them. Pitino was different because he was a repeat offender when I comes to sexual improprieties.

The only problems with all of this are...
1) Preston was not cited for his wreck
2) KU investigated internally then self-reported
3) Preston never played a game
4) All the witnesses testified under oath that KU coaches knew nothing (in spite of their whole defense that some coaches were complicit)
5) So why would Self knowingly play DeSousa if he actually knew there were payments... at the same time holding Preston out, investigating, and self-reporting a matter that would have never gotten out otherwise? The only answer is that Self didn't know.
6) The alleged $2,500 payment to DeSousa's guardian can be paid back and forgotten, as the NCAA has allowed many times in the past.
7) Unfortunately, the texts are too vague and could easily be explained away.
8) Unless there is something else that comes to light... Kansas skates. Kansas has certainly had more than their share of off the court issues since Self took over, and they have gotten unfair breaks from the NCAA already... they may be crooked, but objectively looking at the facts made public so far... there isn't anything the NCAA can do.

There is no plausible deniability when ku discovered gassnola paid Preston and yet they still continued doing business with him. That’s why it will be hard for the ncaa to overlook it. They will get off cause heaven forbid self gets a few vacated seasons.

To much evidence Kansas knew and the Preston wires they discovered did them in. They can’t defend that. SDs was paid which rules him ineligible. Therefore vacated season.

Preston was dirty long before Kansas came in and you can tell because no one was recruiting him. He literally waited for a UK offer that calipari never extended

Case closed. Vacated season. Severe punishment should be handed down

Kansas will use the UNC defense and deny everything. And it will work again, IMHO. If they wasn't punished over Cliff Alexander, they won't over this either.

Anyone else notice in the ratface article how he was more concerned about grad transfers than cheating? Teams go from NCAA tourney teams to 8-22 teams? Wasn't this the same thing Cal was saying years ago?

to it dont have the time. This isn't correct. And Bill Self knowing or not knowing doesn't matter. Ineligible is ineligible. Claiming ignorance is not an excuse the NCAA has made that cle
I would agree, if DeSousa would have been the one getting paid and not a guardian (reportedly).

There is no plausible deniability when ku discovered gassnola paid Preston and yet they still continued doing business with him. That’s why it will be hard for the ncaa to overlook it. They will get off cause heaven forbid self gets a few vacated seasons.

To much evidence Kansas knew and the Preston wires they discovered did them in. They can’t defend that. SDs was paid which rules him ineligible. Therefore vacated season.

Preston was dirty long before Kansas came in and you can tell because no one was recruiting him. He literally waited for a UK offer that calipari never extended

Case closed. Vacated season. Severe punishment should be handed down

There isn't any evidence that Self or Kansas knew... and actually, there is sworn testimony that he didn't. It's like we want to pick the parts of Gassnola's testimony that fits whatever narrative we want to believe.
The Preston texts and calls between him and his mother are further evidence that they were covering it up. From the NCAA and Kansas. When Preston picked Kansas, he had legit standing offers from at least 15 other high major teams. How fortunate for KU that he ran his ill-gotten car into that curb... or Kansas would be vacating the season, a conference championship, the string, and a FF.
DeSousa on the other hand (and if you believe Gassnola's testimony) was ineligible for the half-season he played. However, there is a long history of the NCAA allowing smaller sums of $$ to be paid back to regain eligibility. It will be interesting to see what comes out next, however, my take is there isn't enough here now. UL, NCState, and UA seem to be in a much worse situation.

There isn't any evidence that Self or Kansas knew... and actually, there is sworn testimony that he didn't. It's like we want to pick the parts of Gassnola's testimony that fits whatever narrative we want to believe.
The Preston texts and calls between him and his mother are further evidence that they were covering it up. From the NCAA and Kansas. When Preston picked Kansas, he had legit standing offers from at least 15 other high major teams. How fortunate for KU that he ran his ill-gotten car into that curb... or Kansas would be vacating the season, a conference championship, the string, and a FF.
DeSousa on the other hand (and if you believe Gassnola's testimony) was ineligible for the half-season he played. However, there is a long history of the NCAA allowing smaller sums of $$ to be paid back to regain eligibility. It will be interesting to see what comes out next, however, my take is there isn't enough here now. UL, NCState, and UA seem to be in a much worse situation.
Delusional

You appear to be defensive in your posts about Kansas.

You appear to be defensive in your posts about Kansas.

Yeah, it does read that way. I don't have a problem w/ Kansas... and I recognize them for producing the namesake of this board. Reading all the posts, coupled with UNC issues the past few years, I just don't feel it, I don't have much faith, and basically, I don't think there is anything there yet.

Yeah, it does read that way. I don't have a problem w/ Kansas... and I recognize them for producing the namesake of this board. Reading all the posts, coupled with UNC issues the past few years, I just don't feel it, I don't have much faith, and basically, I don't think there is anything there yet.
Why don’t you just admit you’re a Kansas fan and end the charade?

WRONG
Kansas ad department testified IN COURT. They said under oath they discovered gassnolas payment to Preston. This occurred prior to sds. So don’t give me that bull crap. Kansas officials under oath testified to that. Why did they have to??? Cause ncaa has already discovered it. They couldn’t lie about that. That being said you don’t need an engineering degree to figure out the time line. Case closed. Testified in court to that.

You do know that the NCAA slapped the crap out of UofLOL and took away their championship and an entire season of wins, AFTER they let UNC skate, don't you? They threw a Hall of Fame coach under the bus for less than what Kansas appears to have done here over several years. I don't know why people think KU is just gonna skate. This is apples : oranges with what UNC did. Much closer to what UofLOL did, and actually worse as they now have Bill Self dead to rights being personally aware of Adidas paying recruits large sums of money. I see seasons and Final Fours vacated, and a possible Show Cause order on Bill Self at the end of this.

This isn't just about pro agents paying recruits under the table to get them signed later on when they turn pro either. It's about paying recruits to sign with a specific Adidas-sponsored university, and the coach of that university knowing all about it and willingly taking those recruits with full knowledge that they received illegal benefits.
giphy.gif

Well put.

Reactions: jrpross
This guy.::: Preston’s mom was paid then not Preston. Guess Preston should of played then. I have a hard time understanding people’s logic on here
It's simple... Preston knew... that's been established... and he conspired w/ his mom to hide the evidence from Kansas, FBI, and NCAA. All the while, she's tweeting negative stuff about the FBI and NCAA because her son is sitting... pathetic.
Maybe DeSousa did know about the $2,500, but there is nothing to indicate that he did. Ten years ago, Kansas would be forfeiting half a season and everything that goes with it... but too much has happened. There needs to be more come out then what has. Maybe it will, but not getting my hopes up based on what is out there now.

I would agree, if DeSousa would have been the one getting paid and not a guardian (reportedly).

The Cam newton defense doesn't work anymore. If the NCAA allowed that then guardians would eat these kids alive and every player would just collect through their Godfather Tony's.

What Bill Self knows or doesn't know only applies to the severity of the violations. It doesn't apply to guilt or innocence. Kansas fans dont seem to get that. You aren't interpreting the rules, you are making conclusions based on a rule book that does not exist.

Reactions: Chase4UK
It's simple... Preston knew... that's been established... and he conspired w/ his mom to hide the evidence from Kansas, FBI, and NCAA. All the while, she's tweeting negative stuff about the FBI and NCAA because her son is sitting... pathetic.
Maybe DeSousa did know about the $2,500, but there is nothing to indicate that he did. Ten years ago, Kansas would be forfeiting half a season and everything that goes with it... but too much has happened. There needs to be more come out then what has. Maybe it will, but not getting my hopes up based on what is out there now.

Gotcha sds didn’t know Maryland paid

SDs didn’t know 20k for Kansas

SDs didn’t know 2500 came to pay for some bogus high school classes

Gotcha. You are the one asking people to assume a lot things, not the other way around

When Silvio couldn’t even afford a shirt to now wearing 10k gold necklaces. Wonder if he thought his legal guardian won the powerball

Reactions: rabbitTown
Why don’t you just admit you’re a Kansas fan and end the charade?
Lol, you can't buck consensus w/o being a troll. As stated before, I don't have any problem with Kansas... or really UNC (I used to, but why bother?)... or Duke (not a huge fan of Zona though). I'm just not reading into it where most others are, I think it's a stretch based on what is known, and recent history has shown that what we think matters little. I think everyone (UA, KU, NCST,...) skates through this... and UL should have held onto Pitino a few more months as they likely do too.

Gotcha sds didn’t know Maryland paid

SDs didn’t know 20k for Kansas

SDs didn’t know 2500 came to pay for some bogus high school classes

Gotcha. You are the one asking people to assume a lot things, not the other way around

When Silvio couldn’t even afford a shirt to now wearing 10k gold necklaces. Wonder if he thought his legal guardian won the powerball

You're right... i don't know if he knew what the Maryland booster paid... but really doesn't matter for Kansas anyway.
I was under the assumption that there was no $20,000, only the $2,500... 20 grand would change things in my opinion.
I'm not asking people to assume anything, just saying there are plausible explanations. I don't have the answers, but if I was the one in trouble, I could certainly come up with some answers to get me outta this.
And I don't know what DeSousa could afford or what he is wearing now that he is at Kansas. If true, it sounds damming... just never heard it from a reliable source.

The Cam newton defense doesn't work anymore. If the NCAA allowed that then guardians would eat these kids alive and every player would just collect through their Godfather Tony's.

What Bill Self knows or doesn't know only applies to the severity of the violations. It doesn't apply to guilt or innocence. Kansas fans dont seem to get that. You aren't interpreting the rules, you are making conclusions based on a rule book that does not exist.

I agree, but I think the amount in question ($2,500 currently) does matter to the NCAA. The other aspect that I think works to Kansas' advantage (as well as all the other teams involved) is the scope... of just what is known now.

I've probably grown too skeptical, Magette (Duke), Arthur vs. Rose (2008), and recently UNC gives me little hope for justice.

You're right... i don't know if he knew what the Maryland booster paid... but really doesn't matter for Kansas anyway.
I was under the assumption that there was no $20,000, only the $2,500... 20 grand would change things in my opinion.
I'm not asking people to assume anything, just saying there are plausible explanations. I don't have the answers, but if I was the one in trouble, I could certainly come up with some answers to get me outta this.
And I don't know what DeSousa could afford or what he is wearing now that he is at Kansas. If true, it sounds damming... just never heard it from a reliable source.

Check out what Vick can afford. He’s got a kid too. Student aid has really changed since I left college apparently

I agree, but I think the amount in question ($2,500 currently) does matter to the NCAA. The other aspect that I think works to Kansas' advantage (as well as all the other teams involved) is the scope... of just what is known now.

I've probably grown too skeptical, Magette (Duke), Arthur vs. Rose (2008), and recently UNC gives me little hope for justice.

Well then if that's the case then the NCAA will continue to change rules as they go and have no consistency what so ever in their decision making process. Might as well give Memphis their final four banner back too, because there was less there than is here.

Reactions: rabbitTown
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT