ADVERTISEMENT

Billy Packer passes away

And SEC football is so bad because it has five or six of the top 20 programs all in one conference. Think there's not pressure on Florida right now?

In 2006 I believe, Billy threw a fit because the committee chose a handful of midmajor teams instead of ACC teams for the tournament.

One of the teams he decried, George Mason, had one of the most memorable runs to the Final Four that year.

Last edited:
I never cared for Packer when he was doing games and yeah, he loved the ACC but the guy was always a curmudgeon. As others have said, you knew it was a big game when Packer was there. Looking back, credit to him for always speaking his mind even if a lot of people didn't like it. Also, when he rose to prominence it was in the late'70's- early 80's as part of what I think was the best college basketball announcing team ever with him, Al McGuire, and Dick Enberg.. He and McGuire were a perfect match with Packer's borderline a-hole style and McGuire's positive pleasant style and they worked well together and neither one of them were as good apart as they were together.

ADVERTISEMENT