ADVERTISEMENT

Billy Packer passes away

Boy. He HATED UK.

My Dad might be getting in a fight up there tonight. He couldn’t stand Packer.

All that aside. He was a legend in the sport. Prayers and condolences to his family and friends.
Don’t believe he hated UK. He respected Kentucky Basketball. He just didn’t slobber over it like UK fans would have liked. He was one of the best. RIP. He was the voice of college basketball for a long time. He and Nance were really good together

Don’t believe he hated UK. He respected Kentucky Basketball. He just didn’t slobber over it like UK fans would have liked. He was one of the best. RIP. He was the voice of college basketball for a long time. He and Nance were really good together

Yeah i don’t think he hated UK either. He was just an acc stan. I think Wake was his alma mater.

If you think he didn’t hate UK go ask Dick Gabriel about his run in with Packer.

Played for Wake Forest, became one of the voices of March Madness in the 90's/early 2000's with Jim Nance. Very opinionated. Every fan base thinks they hated their team to be honest.

This is what i remember him most for:

Central_KY_Chiro-2.jpg

if you add up just the tubby years he probably called 30 of our games nationally so there’s a memory. by the time pitino’s run had run it’s course he finally had a healthy respect for kentucky. he just preferred north carolina. very much more. he was blatant some games. all in all rip

Reactions: CNJ1966
Played for Wake Forest, became one of the voices of March Madness in the 90's/early 2000's with Jim Nance. Very opinionated. Every fan base thinks they hated their team to be honest.
I removed when St Joes earned a 1 seed in 2004 and he would shut up about how they didn’t deserve it. He always shilled for Duke and UNC.

Again. Rip. But he was not well liked by many.

Reactions: Wally2000 and blubo
I don’t think it was UK hate . But he was absolutely a big ACC homer . I’m guessing because he was a Wake Forest guy .

Reactions: ruppcat and fabcat
if you add up just the tubby years he probably called 30 of our games nationally so there’s a memory. by the time pitino’s run had run it’s course he finally had a healthy respect for kentucky. he just preferred north carolina. very much more. he was blatant some games. all in all rip
Maybe that was it. You know when you’re 12-13 years old and UK is life….when an older man says “Well unc is better” it just sounds like blatant hate. Lol.

Reactions: hotelblue
The irony was someone who was so pro-ACC ended up having his career ended by saying UNC had no chance to come back against Kansas in whatever Final Four that was and that the game was over by the end of he first half. CBS said he hurt their sponsors by making a statement like that.

RIP Billy Packer. But he always acted like there was only one way to play. "You can't leave him in with 3 fouls."

Last edited:
Reactions: BigBlueFanGA
RIP Billy Packer. But he always acted like there was only one way to play. "You can't leave him in with 3 fouls." And then he would go on and on. I'm sure he was a great guy. But as an announcer he was near insufferable.
He was good in his early years. But yes towards the end really insufferable

Reactions: christophero
ADVERTISEMENT