ADVERTISEMENT

Bilas tries to explain the inexplicable

I'm not saying that Sankey has a conflict of interest. I'm saying (as was Bilas) that there there will be an APPEARANCE of a conflict of interest. As we've seen in the federal government recently, organizations tend to bend over backwards to avoid that appearance. If we knew who votes and how the voting is set up, it would be helpful.
So, I guess my next question would be, if the NCAA has no problem with it... who, really, gives a shiny shit how it is perceived?

I'm not saying that Sankey has a conflict of interest. I'm saying (as was Bilas) that there there will be an APPEARANCE of a conflict of interest. As we've seen in the federal government recently, organizations tend to bend over backwards to avoid that appearance. If we knew who votes and how the voting is set up, it would be helpful.

The only people perceiving that as a COI are UNCheat fans

Reactions: UKCatnNC
I agree with you on most of it and I'm still failing to see how it presents a bad look, especially given precedent. Is there an historical precedent for commissioners demonstrating bias towards other institutions before the infractions committee? Why exactly can the SEC commissioner not fairly rule in a case on UNC? What bias has Sankey ever demonstrated?

This is like a tin-foil cap paranoid mob mentality. It's imagining a worst case scenario (i.e. "We don't have any evidence Sankey or anyone is biased, and it really doesn't look bad, but it could conceivably be a factor).

It was not a serious legal move by UNC, it was a PR move.

Historically judges are sulpposed to recuse if theres even an appearance of impropriety. But this isnt court.

Where Bilas really gies wrong is presuming that each conference head has an inherent interest in punishing a school in another conference.

Reactions: UKCatnNC
My point exactly. Please know that in my earlier posts, "COI" was referring to "Committee On Infractions."

I wish Matt would have said to Bilas say this outloud, "2 decades of fake classes, fake grades, fake majors, fake college degrees all designed to keep football and BASKETBALL players eligible"

Now defend that!
Matts to liberal to make anyone feel uncomfortable

Where Bilas really gies wrong is presuming that each conference head has an inherent interest in punishing a school in another conference.

That's true. If anything history has shown that having peers/colleagues sit in judgement, they tend to go easier because they face many of the same issues and can better appreciate the impact of overly harsh penalties etc.

And I believe this is exactly why the NCAA chooses to staff the Committee of Infractions the way they do.

For UNC and their henchmen and shills to claim this is a liability or inherent conflict of interest reeks of desperation.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Jay Bilas went on KSR today. When I heard that was happening I made it a point to tune in and listen because I wanted to see how he would address his recent tweet. If you didn't see (or are living under a rock), Bilas said there's a conflict of interest for SEC commissioner Sankey because he's on the infractions committee for UNC and he said that ESPN's 30-for-30 on Calipari missed UK's academic achievements. It was an inexplicable take and just the latest example of Bilas defending powerful people and institutions under scrutiny for scandals and rule breaking.

Matt Jones asked Bilas about that quote, his second question, and here's what Bilas said:

"No, it had nothing to do with whether he could be fair. It had to do with conflict of interest. You can have a conflict of interest and still be fair. ... but I don't think people perceive fairness comes. It was just to point out ... it has nothing to do with Greg Sankey. ... it has to do with just good business. You don't have conflicts of interest."

He went on to say there is "more than a perception" of a conflict of interest.

Jones then asked, fairly, where the line is. Is it a perceived conflict because UK and UNC are supposedly rivals. Bilas didn't really give a clear answer. He then went on to say it didn't have anything to do with Kentucky and UNC, even though he's the one who brought Kentucky up in his tweet about a conflict of interest.

Bilas then went on to say that no sitting commissioner should be on the committee ... "if you want to have a trustworthy process."

In short, if they were investigating Kentucky.

if you use his interpretation of conflict of interest then the only way to take that out of it would be to have people who didn't go to college, has never watch any sports their entire life, and has no particular attachment to the state or community in which they live. everyone who is not being bias on this issue can see that UNC should get their program shutdown if it was truly about "student athletes" and "academic integrity"

True. By Bilas' own logic he should give up his job of commenting on major college basketball teams because he went to Duke. Ergo he has an inherent conflict of interest and should recuse himself from his position.

Matt should have asked Bilas if he was as vocal when the NCAA came down so tough on Penn State even though the scandal there was clearly outside the prevue of an Academic Association.
To be clear, I'm not defending PSU, I am saying that precedent was set in that case to allow the NCAA to basically regulate in ANY case against a member institution. Member schools allowed the NCAA to do it and now the genie is out of the bottle, or at least should be.

Bilas was pretty vocal saying that the NCAA didn't have jurisdiction to rule on the Penn State case. BTW, That's an argument I completely agree with. (and reinforced after I spent time browsing the entire NCAA manual one time as this issue was being discussed on this board).

Bilas also has tried to argue that there's no specific bylaw that UNC broke and thus they have no right to punish UNC.

That's an argument I find laughable. UNC broke many of the very core principles that the NCAA is based on. There's plenty of areas that UNC could be justly booted from the organization just for how they've flaunted their non-compliance, much less plenty of specific rules and by-laws they broke via fraud.

I also find it hypocritical of Bilas to make thus argument, given that in the past he's complained about the NCAA manual being too long. Now he wants to pore over it with a fine toothed comb and claim to not find a specific infraction which perfectly aligns with what his client (ahem his object of irrational defense) did.

To me that's like having a lawyer claim that while the Boy Scouts of America have an honor code which includes agreeing to be "trustworthy and loyal" that a boy who is found to steal another Scout's belongings shouldn't be kicked out of the organization or reprimanded because there's no specific rule against it in the code.

No one on here likes Bilas but the dude owned Matt--Bring Cal in!

Really? I thought Matt missed a few opportunities but his arguments were sound. Bilas was a complete mess of inconsistencies and weak arguments.

The only area where Bilas made sense was his condemnation of Mark Emmertt interfering with the Enes Kanter investigation. But that's something they both agreed on.

Bilas is a graduate from an ACC school---what about his conflict of interest? What about the conflict of interest by ESPN being lead by a UNC grad? Using Bilas's logic ESPN should not even be reporting on this matter---it looks real bad!

If we're to take "King" Bilas words as he said, then is it not a "Conflict of interest" when there is a CBB committee selecting the NCAA Tournament? I mean some AD's are more friendly with others and some don't get along or have taken ass kickings in the past, and may hold grudges.

Glad you brought that up. I fundamentally disagree with Bilas' take but did think at the time that extending his own logic, it's clear that he should be against having an NCAA selection committee. (I've never seen him argue in favor of this BTW, but I could be wrong.)

I've personally been in favor of abolishing the NCAA selection committee for a long time. My argument is mainly around the idea that the committee members are generally unqualified to accurately gauge team strength and their work could be done much better and significantly faster (and thus is not artificially hampered by their slowness in being able to assess ALL games) with a well designed computer model (one that has clearly defined criteria in place, uses multiple sources of data, includes advanced metrics etc.)

But if Bilas wants to argue that anyone with any kind of stake in the process (even if it's tangential) has an inherent conflict of interest and should recuse himself, then that's reason enough to abolish the committee and use something else that's independent of the schools.

Reactions: Levibooty
Bilas is a graduate from an ACC school---what about his conflict of interest? What about the conflict of interest by ESPN being lead by a UNC grad? Using Bilas's logic ESPN should not even be reporting on this matter---it looks real bad!

Absolutely. And that's one thing Matt could have asked but missed on IMO.

Bilas is a smart guy. He should just give up and say "maybe I'm wrong, I've been wrong before.

They basically don't.

Glad you brought that up. I fundamentally disagree with Bilas' take but did think at the time that extending his own logic, it's clear that he should be against having an NCAA selection committee. (I've never seen him argue in favor of this BTW, but I could be wrong.)

I've personally been in favor of abolishing the NCAA selection committee for a long time. My argument is mainly around the idea that the committee members are generally unqualified to accurately gauge team strength and their work could be done much better and significantly faster (and thus is not artificially hampered by their slowness in being able to assess ALL games) with a well designed computer model (one that has clearly defined criteria in place, uses multiple sources of data, includes advanced metrics etc.)

But if Bilas wants to argue that anyone with any kind of stake in the process (even if it's tangential) has an inherent conflict of interest and should recuse himself, then that's reason enough to abolish the committee and use something else that's independent of the schools.

I think he has expressed agreement that they could just use a computer model for the selections. Could be wrong about that though. I've tried to listen to him as little as possible lately.

Bilas suffers from psychological projection, an affliction common to many politicians and other self-important persons. The phrase to describe this syndrome begins with "Those who live in glass houses . . ."

I think he has expressed agreement that they could just use a computer model for the selections. Could be wrong about that though. I've tried to listen to him as little as possible lately.
Bilas wants basketball people to run the selection committee.

Really? I thought Matt missed a few opportunities but his arguments were sound. Bilas was a complete mess of inconsistencies and weak arguments.

The only area where Bilas made sense was his condemnation of Mark Emmertt interfering with the Enes Kanter investigation. But that's something they both agreed on.
I didn't listen to it personally, so I really can't say. I just read what has been posted. The point I'm making is that Cal wouldn't hold back on Bilas. He would've went right at him. No doubt in my mind. He wouldn't be all PC about it. JMO.

poking fun at Jay about support Duke in the tourney is one thing.

Going after Jay as a proxy for UNC cheating is another level altogether. Cal might take a shot in passing, but I doubt any coach is going to comment until after the smoke clears.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT