ADVERTISEMENT

Big late night coaching update

JRowland

All-American
Staff
May 29, 2001
www.rivals.com
Earlier on Sunday we reported here that Joe Moorhead, Liam Coen, and Brian Brohm were the three candidates we had most heard in reference to the Kentucky offensive coordinator opening.

I can tell you now that my understanding is that Joe Moorhead basically has the job if he wants it. There has been real interest they have had to take seriously and he has the kind of resume that kind of gives him a place of honor in almost any discussion like this. He's a big fish.

However, my sense as of tonight is that they may be bracing themselves for the possibility or the likelihood that he says no to offer. There are a lot of things in play here. There are moving parts in the coaching world including some rumors relating to his head coach Mario Cristobal. But what I've heard recently is his family is a very big factor. He just moved them across the country to Oregon and I'm hearing it's a big ask to uproot and move them again for another OC job. The way that came across to me, it seemed like UK would happily take Moorhead and feels obligated to ask, but there is not a lot of confidence that he'll take it.

Given that is the sentiment after the discussions, that's noteworthy.

Here's the big surprise of the night.

While I'm told it's still possible that Kentucky makes an offer to LIam Coen, I no longer believe that is the most likely option as of right now. Coen is a sharp guy well-regarded by some in the football profession but there may be a concern about giving someone such a huge leap in rank -- assistant position coach to offensive coordinator at a build job in the SEC.

Matt Jones mentioned Missouri QB coach Bush Hamdan as a candidate tonight.

I can confirm that Hamdan is a candidate. What I can also offer is my sense that both Hamdan and Brian Brohm are much more likely candidates than has been mentioned anywhere to date.

Why?

Because if Moorhead turns the job down and there is some hesitation about bumping basically a quality control guy to OC, Brohm and Hamdan are next on the list.

And while Moorhead has the job if he wants it, no decision has been made on a preference between Brohm, Hamdan, and Coen. Whereas before tonight I would have said it was Moorhead, Coen, Brohm in that order, in order of likeliness today I would say Brohm, Hamdan, Coen, and Moorhead are the most likely outcomes.

The one and only concern with Brohm is how much he has done for Purdue with his brother having such an ownership stake in the offense. He has not called plays except for one (Iowa) when Jeff Brohm was out with COVID and that is a hurdle to overcome.

On the offensive line coach hire, the name we have heard most is South Carolina's Eric Wolford. Had one person reach out to me and say they have been inclined to not let him go or be announced elsewhere until after Signing Day. If that story is true then it seems he could be a likely addition sometime after this week. However, depending on who the new offensive coordinator wants to bring that could change.

UPDATE: There is a chance Kentucky could even still interview someone else.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News