ADVERTISEMENT

Big blow to UGA

I will be surprised if he takes another snap for UGA. It's a big loss for sure, but it's at a position we have some depth, think everyone who caught a pass last year is returning. But will be hard to replace him and 1 guy wont. I suspect Arien Smith or the kid that broke his ankle in the UF game will win the spot. One is blistering fast and the other slot like Pickens

Tough loss for UGA and CFB too! Arguably one of the best returning WR's in CFB....maybe the best.

I agree with Grumpyolddawg....with an ACL injury, he may be done at UGA. Better he rehab and sloooooowly work back into the route running and cuts as he prepares for the next level.

Coming back too fast and incurring a second injury would cost him millions in the NFL.

Either way...get well George Pickens.

GBB!

I will be surprised if he takes another snap for UGA. It's a big loss for sure, but it's at a position we have some depth, think everyone who caught a pass last year is returning. But will be hard to replace him and 1 guy wont. I suspect Arien Smith or the kid that broke his ankle in the UF game will win the spot. One is blistering fast and the other slot like Pickens

Offseason injuries are just the worst. Hate it for the kid. Tough to put in the work only to have to sit/rehab. Hope he makes a full recovery.

I’m sure you guys aren’t hurting for WR talent.

Offseason injuries are just the worst. Hate it for the kid. Tough to put in the work only to have to sit/rehab. Hope he makes a full recovery.

I’m sure you guys aren’t hurting for WR talent.

George is an elite talent, even suggesting losing him isn't a blow is not being realistic. But we have some good athletes behind him. I don't have access to the real depth chart, but Demetriitus Robinson is a frosh AA returning for his 6th year, he is a great athlete with 4..3 speed, Rosemary/Staint Jack is physically much like Pickens, A. Smith is a world class sprinter with a 10.2 100m as a jr, and a world record holder. plus the 21 class Has TE who is 6'5" 225 range that runs sub 4.6 40m for the shorter routes. Losing Pickens sucks for us, but there are other options. I actuall hope we move Cook to WR, he has elite hands, and there isn't a LB in the country who can cover him. I would make him a rich young man if I were OC. But I am not and no one is listening to my suggestions.,

George is an elite talent, even suggesting losing him isn't a blow is not being realistic. But we have some good athletes behind him. I don't have access to the real depth chart, but Demetriitus Robinson is a frosh AA returning for his 6th year, he is a great athlete with 4..3 speed, Rosemary/Staint Jack is physically much like Pickens, A. Smith is a world class sprinter with a 10.2 100m as a jr, and a world record holder. plus the 21 class Has TE who is 6'5" 225 range that runs sub 4.6 40m for the shorter routes. Losing Pickens sucks for us, but there are other options. I actuall hope we move Cook to WR, he has elite hands, and there isn't a LB in the country who can cover him. I would make him a rich young man if I were OC. But I am not and no one is listening to my suggestions.,

And some fans wonder why we haven't beat Georgia yet. I have a suggestion, tell all of them they could start AND star at UK.

Ha, we are just message board posters... what do we know? The TE has measurables similar to that of Kyle Pitts and if he is anything like him you all will be A-OK. Georgia has always produced high level receivers but losing a guy like Pickens is going to hurt no matter how you look at it.

Of course I hope we can find a way to finally beat you guys, but I would prefer doing that when you are at full strength (which makes the unthinkable seem like the impossible given our history). But I am certain you guys will reload and be a nightmare for opposing DB’s and D coordinators.

**** And I don’t doubt you would have Cook in the Pro Bowl in a few years 😜

Reactions: Ky grandpa
Ha, we are just message board posters... what do we know? The TE has measurables similar to that of Kyle Pitts and if he is anything like him you all will be A-OK. Georgia has always produced high level receivers but losing a guy like Pickens is going to hurt no matter how you look at it.

Of course I hope we can find a way to finally beat you guys, but I would prefer doing that when you are at full strength (which makes the unthinkable seem like the impossible given our history). But I am certain you guys will reload and be a nightmare for opposing DB’s and D coordinators.

George is going to be hard to replace, no denying that. But in the mix is a world class sprinter who right now is a world record holder, a TE who is 6'5" 225 with sub 4.6speed.l, a frosh AA who hasnt done much at UGA but an elite athlete who is using his 6th year and a guy a step below Pickens but very much like him that is returning from a broken ankle suffered against UF. But losing what could be your best player in the spring does suck, it's not time to throw in the towel yet.

George is going to be hard to replace, no denying that. But in the mix is a world class sprinter who right now is a world record holder, a TE who is 6'5" 225 with sub 4.6speed.l, a frosh AA who hasnt done much at UGA but an elite athlete who is using his 6th year and a guy a step below Pickens but very much like him that is returning from a broken ankle suffered against UF. But losing what could be your best player in the spring does suck, it's not time to throw in the towel yet.

OK, we will give you until the week before you play us.

interesting you mention Cook. IMO, he was possibly the most misused player in the SEC his first 2 years. He was under 190 and our OC insisted on running him between the tackles. That just isn't his strength. He has elite hands, very good speed, his strengths are catching the ball out of the backfield outside the tackles. He looks to be 200+ now, still not a real inside threat but we did make better use of his strengths last year until a high ankle sprang slowed him down. With his pass catching skills wouldn't shock me to see him get some reps at WR with Pickens injury. But spring practice hasn't been kind to us in regards to injuries.

And some fans wonder why we haven't beat Georgia yet. I have a suggestion, tell all of them they could start AND star at UK.
Certainly talent & depth disparity is a major factor, but our one dimensional offense is (hopefully was) another factor. UGA's D is just too good for us to be a challenge with our pre-Coen, run-centric offensive strategy.

A more balanced offense would at least give us a chance to parlay an off-night by UGA into a close game....maybe even a win. Retain the ball for longer drives, score with more regularity and you put a little more pressure on the Athens dawg pound.

UGA (up until the arrival of JT Daniels) was also a one dimensional team under Smart, but a great talent UGA running team vs a good talent UK running team has thus far proven futile.

I realize we only lost 14-3 in October, but once UGA scored a TD...certainly 2 TDs, they saw us as no threat and went zero-risk with their offensive play calling. Former UGA QB Stetson Bennett attempted only 13 passes against us...completing 9 for 131 yards. In the same fashion, our man Joey Gatewood was 15/25 for only 91 yards. Pretty pedestrian for both teams.

We intercepted two passes and could still only chink the UGA D for 3 points. Maybe a better UK passing game and a little more scoring could have forced UGA out of the comfort zone....given us more of a chance.

Now, both UGA and UK appear to be loosening up their offenses. There should be more fireworks on both sides with the dawgs and cats take the field in the next few years. Pass the pop-corn!

GBB!

hate to hear of guys getting injured. We see it too much, but football is a guarantee of some type injury. Hope he makes a quick recovery. Georgia has plenty of talent, and while this definitely is a blow, the pantry of really good players is loaded, Georgia should be favored not only in the east, but the entire SEC. Law of big averages says Alabama will take at least a half step back and Texas AandM is sitting on ready in the West. Could be a real struggle for whoever is SEC king next year.

Certainly talent & depth disparity is a major factor, but our one dimensional offense is (hopefully was) another factor. UGA's D is just too good for us to be a challenge with our pre-Coen, run-centric offensive strategy.

A more balanced offense would at least give us a chance to parlay an off-night by UGA into a close game....maybe even a win. Retain the ball for longer drives, score with more regularity and you put a little more pressure on the Athens dawg pound.

UGA (up until the arrival of JT Daniels) was also a one dimensional team under Smart, but a great talent UGA running team vs a good talent UK running team has thus far proven futile.

I realize we only lost 14-3 in October, but once UGA scored a TD...certainly 2 TDs, they saw us as no threat and went zero-risk with their offensive play calling. Former UGA QB Stetson Bennett attempted only 13 passes against us...completing 9 for 131 yards. In the same fashion, our man Joey Gatewood was 15/25 for only 91 yards. Pretty pedestrian for both teams.

We intercepted two passes and could still only chink the UGA D for 3 points. Maybe a better UK passing game and a little more scoring could have forced UGA out of the comfort zone....given us more of a chance.

Now, both UGA and UK appear to be loosening up their offenses. There should be more fireworks on both sides with the dawgs and cats take the field in the next few years. Pass the pop-corn!

GBB!

I feel you are correct on just about everything you posted. I don't think you are correct that UGA would have to have an off game for UK to beat them. Maybe a few years ago but not this season. The last couple of years our run D has been pretty good and UK and Stoops ran an offense much like UGA and Kirby and we just happened to be a little better against the run. When JTD got well enough to play, our offense changed, we opened things up, and it was much more exciting to watch. Losing Pickens hurts, he may have been our best blocking WR too, he was certainly willing. We have no one to replace him, but we have 7-8 guys who can hopefully, for us, replace his production. Where we are incredibly thin is at CB, we our top 4, and a starting S and looking like we will be starting a 5th year sr and and rs frosh who had shoulder surgery last spring and missed the 20 season. and the back ups will be RS frosh or true frosh, unless we grab someone from the portal after spring practice.

But Pickens is arguably our best player, losing him for he year is definitely a big blow, but it is also an opportunity for someone else to make a name for himself.

Is Zamir White finally 100%?

I really don't know. He has looked ok at times, and at other times he has looked not so good. He runs hard all the time, but it's like he doesn't trust his knees and won't make that hard cut at times. It took Chubb 2 years to get back to 90%, I don't think he was 100% until his rookie year at Cleveland and no one works any harder than Chubb does. Obviously I would like to see him get back to where he was before the injuries for UGA reasons, but he is a good guy, never been in any kind of trouble and has come alone way from the baby who wasn't suppose to survive more than a few months.

Where we are incredibly thin is at CB, we our top 4, and a starting S and looking like we will be starting a 5th year sr and and rs frosh who had shoulder surgery last spring and missed the 20 season. and the back ups will be RS frosh or true frosh, unless we grab someone from the portal after spring practice.
If I had one position on defense where I'd not much sweat a true frosh playing, it would be cornerback.

We've had lots of talent at the position shine at that spot their first season, including in the TS/Gator Bowl.

I don't wish injury on no one but does this give Kentucky a better chance at the SEC East Title?

Well, anytime big time players get hurt for other programs in the East, it can’t hurt Kentucky’s chances.

But don’t weep for Georgia: they have averaged in the Top 3 recruiting classes in the country the last 4 years.

2018 Rivals Ranking: No. 1;
2019 Rivals Ranking: No. 1;
2020 Rivals Ranking: No. 1;
2021 Rivals Ranking: No. 6.

They will have wide receivers and cornerbacks ready when we go to Athens.

And so will we.

Last edited:
I love playing a good honest program like UGA.. They seem to be a clean run program along with a couple more in the SEC.. I may be wrong but I think a place like UGA has no reason to cheat like a lot of others..
Can't hardly wait for the season to start..

GBB

Reactions: The-Hack
I love playing a good honest program like UGA..

I hope they are clean, but I admire that they are never real fancy.

They play football. And they have played it all my 58 years.

They run the ball regardless of trend and era, and play defense.

I don't wish injury on no one but does this give Kentucky a better chance at the SEC East Title?

We actually lose our top 5 CB from 20, I had forgotten about the transfer to Miami, plus a starting S. On top of that, we also lost our secondary coach, not sure if that is good or bad. But we are experimenting with Adam Anderson at star this spring, not my favorite move, but I don't a voice in it. He is 6'5" 225, one of those guys that can't add weight I hate guys like that, ran a sub 50 400m in HS. Hasn't played much because of who was ahead of him, but his strength is rushing the passer, anytime he is dropping in coverage is giving the O a break, imo.

As I said before, losing Pickens is a tough loss, we have no one who can replace what he brings, but hopefully for us we have 5-6 that can replace his production. I kinda expect the TE we signed to get some reps at WR now, he is about 6'5" and 225, retuned punts, kickoffs and lined up at RB in HS, so good speed and a good athlete, with the size he has he would be a handfull for most DB. I don't think any of the other WR we signed in 21 will see much time this season, if ever. Just a position we haven't recruited very well historically and why losing Pickens is such a huge loss for UGA..

I think even as much as Kentucky has upgraded we are still looking at punchers chance against Georgia. That's the program to build to beat. If you get to a point where Georgia/UK are 50/50 odds, you are guaranteed a winning season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT