ADVERTISEMENT

Best UK team when you were in High School.

Yep. Ugh, don’t remind me! Actually went to YouTube and watched some of that game the other day. I’ll never forget that no call when Rose plowed over Delk on the last possession of regulation. Pitino lost his mind!
Yeah, I was at the game. We almost didn’t stay for the national championship game we were so pissed but I’m glad we did because it ended up being one of the most memorable ever played.

Saved the best for last for my high school years with the 2012 championship team. That was the first year I ever went to a game and watched from the nosebleeds in Rupp. They beat Arkansas and Davis had something crazy like 27 and 7 or 8 blocks.

I can remember my history class was taught by the basketball coach my freshman year, and he was so excited about John Wall committing he played his legendary mixtape for us in class lol

Graduated HS in 94. That 93 team was damn good. That tournament run (SEC and NCAA) was insane:

101 - 40 vs UT in SEC tourney
93 - 81 vs #14 Arkansas in SEC tourney
82 - 65 vs LSU in SEC tourney
96 - 52 vs Rider in First Round
83 - 62 vs #19 Utah in Second Round
103 - 69 vs #16 Wake Forest in Sweet 16
106 - 81 vs #11 FSU in Elite Eight

95ppg - 64ppg in post season leading up to the FF. So frustrating we lost to Michigan.

78, my senior year. Replayed that game over and over in the cow pasture where my goal hung on the side of the smoke house. Tried to mimic Shidler from 25 feet so much I actually became a good shooter from deep, but it was too late for me. Good times.

Like I said on the front page 95-96 team when I was a junior in high school it was the greatest team all time that I got to witness. Then came my senior year 1997 when we was an overtime away from repeating and if Derek Anderson would've played we would've won hands down!

Was in H.S. from '68 to '72 so the '69-'70 Team with Issel averaging 33 ppg. The bogus 5th foul on Issel vs Jacksonville in the Tourney still pisses me off!

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Unfortunately for me I was in HS for the 88-91 teams & we went on probation my SO year. Lol. So, half of the teams in that era weren’t even postseason eligible. 88 was the best team of that bunch, though. And, they were a really good team, IMO. We were #1 for a while & entered the tournament as a 2 seed. I thought we had a great chance of winning it all. Rex & Davender might be my favorite UK backcourt & Eric Manuel was a nice complementary player on the wing. Winston Bennett was a 5th year SR warrior & the king of drawing charges, Rob Lock, was the 5. I still can’t believe we lost to Villanova in the Sweet 16. Although, it would’ve been erased anyway, had we won. Actually, 91 was also a good team, winning the SEC with a 14-4 record while still on probation & one year removed from the 14-14 team that had next to nothing, talent wise. That was very impressive, IMO.

Reactions: SaguaroCat
The 1998 team was the best one while in high school, I was a sophomore. I missed the 95-96 team as the best by one year, I was in 8th grade.

I was in highschool from fall of 96 until spring of 2000. Guess I'll go with the 98 championship team. I just missed the easy answer by a summer

58 St X won State and UK won NCAA on same night. We were stoked. Jim McDonald was on the St X team and got a full ride from Rupp and UK. I was in Lexington for the finals at Memorial and UK won the title in St Louis IIRC

2003 Cats.

Cliff Hawkins is still my favorite cat of all time. That team was a big inspiration for me to want to go to UK for college. I went to the 2004 game against UAB in Columbus which was my first time attending a game...and you know the rest...🙁

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Unfortunately for me I was in HS for the 88-91 teams & we went on probation my SO year. Lol. So, half of the teams in that era weren’t even postseason eligible. 88 was the best team of that bunch, though. And, they were a really good team, IMO. We were #1 for a while & entered the tournament as a 2 seed. I thought we had a great chance of winning it all. Rex & Davender might be my favorite UK backcourt & Eric Manuel was a nice complementary player on the wing. Winston Bennett was a 5th year SR warrior & the king of drawing charges, Rob Lock, was the 5. I still can’t believe we lost to Villanova in the Sweet 16. Although, it would’ve been erased anyway, had we won. Actually, 91 was also a good team, winning the SEC with a 14-4 record while still on probation & one year removed from the 14-14 team that had next to nothing, talent wise. That was very impressive, IMO.
Same. I would have to imagine that's the worst 4 year stretch one could pick for pure postseason results. 1 tournament. 2 wins.

Underachiever team lost in sweet sixteen.
The Chris Mills losing season team
The Bombino 14-14 team
The good but on probation Hanson team.

my consolation was 5 great college years and 2 post grads.

Reactions: JHannibalSmith
Hard to say. 1980, 1981, 1982 and 1983 all were great early in the year, and all four faded at the end. * 1980 was Macy and the freshmen (Bowie, Minniefield, Hurt, Hord). Season began and ended with losses to Duke. We beat five teams ranked in the top 10 and finished 26-4 before losing to LSU in the SEC final and then Duke by one in Rupp in the second round.
* 1981 finished the regular season 22-4 including a rare win at Indiana (a big deal back then), then lost in the first round in both tournaments. Lost to UAB, which got destroyed by Indiana.
* 1982 finished 20-6, then lost the SEC final at home to an Alabama team they'd beaten twice, then lost to Middle Tennessee, which promptly got destroyed by Louisville.
* Then, 1983 finished 21-6, lost in the first round in the SEC and lost to Louisville after beating Indiana in the tournament. Had em where we wanted em, but drugged out Minniefield screwed it up. 82 and 83 we didn't have our best player, Sam Bowie.
* Four seasons. Regular season record: 89-20. Postseason record: 7-8. The worst part was Louisville winning its first title in 80 and making Final Fours in 82 and 83.

1984 I was a freshman at UK. Beating Louisville 65-44 in my first game there was...nice.

Reactions: gojvc
1.) 96 (FR)
2.) 98 (JR)
3.) 97 (SO)
4.) 99 (SR)

Needless to say...I was a little spoiled in high school. 3 national title game appearances, 2 championships, a runner-up and an Elite 8.

Reactions: ORCAT10
I graduated in 1998, so I got to enjoy two championships (and a title game between) while in HS. Good years.

Reactions: ORCAT10
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT