ADVERTISEMENT

Best team, worst coach!

Agree that this team has as much talent as anyone. Cal might not be the worst coach, but he's certainly not good. I think he just doesn't try to coach anymore.

I have lost all confidence that this team will win any games in the NCAA, They are ill prepared and play no defense at all. The problem is that the current coach doesn’t have the energy to get these players mentally and physically ready for games. The SEC is getting exponentially better and UK is regressing as a program.

Time to get a coach who cares more about winning than his draft picks. Sorry to be so blunt but, I have to be honest.

I have lost all confidence that this team will win any games in the NCAA, They are ill prepared and play no defense at all. The problem is that the current coach doesn’t have the energy to get these players mentally and physically ready for games. The SEC is getting exponentially better and UK is regressing as a program.

Time to get a coach who cares more about winning than his draft picks. Sorry to be so blunt but, I have to be honest.
If we are being blunt an idiot doesn’t know he is dumb. Cal doesn’t know he can’t coach.

Agree, the talent is there but age and experience is not. COW’s annual excuse is “we are young” and that is true But it is his fault. However, he puts together the roster and believes that 5* recruits will beat less talented experienced teams. A&M has no 4 or 5* players to my knowledge yet they have beaten us 2x this season.

This year’s team has 6 freshmen playing major minutes who have only played together for 5-6 months. Ugo and Adou rarely played last year yet have improved significantly due to improved strength, knowing what to expect, and just being a year older. Pick any sport and experience usually wins out over youth. If this team returned intact next year, even with CCC at the helm, UK would probably be the preseason #1 team in the country. Unfortunately, that never happens under CCC’s watch and we will be young again next year. COW will again roll out his tired excuses. Next years team, IMO, will be less talented, young, with a poor coach and the results will show that. COW will change nothing but fret not, he will like his team and ask us to believe.

I want the old Kentucky program back led by a coach who works to win every game and puts the program ahead of NBA aspirations. Dan Hurley has said the season is about “we” and the postseason is about “me”. What a concept!

Reactions: Jazzycat
Cal is to blame but he isn’t the only one. Those players deserve a lot of blame as well.

I don’t have the advanced analytical stats to support this but I tried to figure out how bad defensively we truly are. If there was a ranking that quantified a “stop” as forcing a missed shot and getting a rebound. Removing blocks where teams stupidly challenge Ugo and steals where Reed takes advantage of sloppy play by an opponent.

We are 108th in KenPom defense while being:
3rd in blocks per game and ranking pretty decently in steals.

With that backdrop I think you could logically say our ability to get “stops” is far worse than even the 108th KP ranking suggests. My guessing…on my made up stat would be that we rank between 150 and 200 in the country in truly getting stops. I know fans get mad about Cal and lack of zone but since he’s playing man it makes it even easier to determine. These guys have not been able to stop the man in front of them all year. They(the players) should be embarrassed,

Cal deserves a ton of blame. But I refuse to believe these players can’t show more pride and fight on the defensive end. Hopefully we see it next weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT