ADVERTISEMENT

Best Post Player At Kentucky

It was KAT.. and it isn't close.
The key to a great big other than scoring easily in the post. Have to knock down free throws. That way they can't foul them and get away with it. Kat killed you twice. In the post.. and at the line.

• Haha
Reactions: KFuqua and Fox2monk
People forget how good Sky Walker was- I may be wrong but didn't he lead the SEC in scoring and rebounding 1 year
Kenny Walker had old school moves with superior athleticism he wasn’t a big body like Kat, Turpin, Charles Hurt, or Robey. He was a Stud.

I've only followed the Kats since 1961, so the teams of the 40s and 50s don't come into play for me. Started watching Cotton Nash and thought no college player came close to him. Until Mr. Issel arrived. I wish the younger fans could have seen Issel and Pratt work their magic. Many fine big men have followed. None have surpassed

Dan Issel
Different era when 6'9'' centers were pretty dominant. Issel was great, so no argument there. AD was a frosh that from DAY ONE made us a great team and he only got better as the season progressed. One of the greatest shot blockers who ever lived and that includes Russell,. Camberlain, both Akeems, Robinson and every other great shot blocker that comes to mind. No one was or is better than AD. He won NPOY, made First Team AA as a freshman and led UK to a NC in his only year of college ball. I think he eclipses Issel in terms if overall talent by a mile, although Issel's offensive stats are tremendous, both at UK and the NBA. I don't think his likes will ever be seen again in a UK uniform. Had he played 3 years of varsity ball as Issel did, imagine what he would have done statistically and otherwise.

I've only followed the Kats since 1961, so the teams of the 40s and 50s don't come into play for me. Started watching Cotton Nash and thought no college player came close to him. Until Mr. Issel arrived. I wish the younger fans could have seen Issel and Pratt work their magic. Many fine big men have followed. None have surpassed
Did Issel post up much in college? I can only really remember him in the pros.

Alex Groza, Bill Spivey, Cliff Hagan, Bob Burrow, Ed Beck, Don Mills, Cotton Nash, Thad Jaracz, Dan Issel, Jim Andrews, Mike Phillips, Rick Robey, Sam Bowie, Melvin Turpin, Reggie Hanson, Mark Pope, Nazr Mohammed, Jamal Magloire, Marquis Estill, Patrick Patterson.

Look at those names. From the Fabulous Five to the beginning of Cal with Patterson (counted Patterson because Tubby recruited him). Everyone of them played for the name on the FRONT of the jersey. Everyone of them played to win the SEC and National Championships. Almost all of them were here for four years. They all realized playing here as Pat Riley says, was significant... When they left, they realized it was a privilege. When you make a list of the great centers that ever played at UK...you have to include them

Last edited:
Reactions: Graham51
Boogie had the cleanest foot movement for a guy his size. He was a beast. KAT dominated the last quarter of the season. I have recency bias too plus I didn't see the players of the 80s people are speaking on.

KAT easy. Saw double's so well out of post. Swung ball to other side as soon as double came. Double didn't come? Bump and Post Hook over Shoulder. Boogie and AD were great but they didn't recognize doubles the way KAT did.

We feed KAT like we did against ND against Wisconsin we probably win that game. If team wasn't so loaded KAT probably puts up 25-12 that season with ease. The LSU and ND game was just a hint what could've been if he played 30+ minutes all season.

Did Issel post up much in college? I can only really remember him in the pros.

Look for yourself, You tube video from LSU fan, but let's you see how Issel occupied the paint. Maravich had 64 (at least 20 were snowbird points). Issel has 51 pts, 17 rebounds, Pratt had 27. Final score 121-105 at LSU

Last edited:
Reactions: storm1507

Look for yourself, You tube video from LSU fan, but let's you see how Issel occupied the paint. Maravich had 64 (at least 20 were snowbird points). Issel has 51 pts, 17 rebounds, Pratt had 27. Final score 121-105 at LSU
Thanks. Did they not alternate baskets at halftime? Enjoyed watching the George Castanza official making those calls.

Lots of great memories. That team was ranked #1 most of the season. Stan Key and Jimmy Dinwiddie played major minutes for Mike Casey. Terry Mills did play and would have been the starter with Casey. Key and Dinwiddie represented themselves well but they were no Mike Casey. Should of, would of, could of...No one will ever convince me that we would not have won the national championship in 1970 if Casey would have been healthy.

Reactions: storm1507
This man was a problem in the post

ConsciousPettyAtlanticbluetang-max-1mb.gif

idk why people keep saying AD. that wasn't his game at UK. he caught lobs, shot some mid range stuff, and blocked shots at Kentucky.

No doubt. But for those of us < 60-65 who never saw him, was he mostly playing on the blocks, or shooting from perimeter (which I think he did a lot of in nba?
On the blocks mostly as UK had soem great perimeter shooters, ie. Casey. Dampier as this was per-3 point line in College. Dan did step out when the defense allowed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT