ADVERTISEMENT

Best Post Player At Kentucky

Jun 2, 2023
I feel like we don’t see a lot of players who can post up and score at a high efficiency as often anymore. With that said who was the best post player you ever seen at Kentucky? For me it was KAT, he was damn near perfect when he would post up. Probably one of the best post up players in basketball right now.

Reactions: Mike-D
People forget how good Sky Walker was- I may be wrong but didn't he lead the SEC in scoring and rebounding 1 year
Yeah, even though a F, I think the best I saw was Walker. I didn’t see Bowie pre-injury, and Mashburn was better all-around. But on the blocks needing a basket, Sky is who I’d want.

Lost in the shuffle: Jim Andrews.

He wasn't the best, but he was very good, and he almost never gets a mention.

Also neglected: Mike Philips

He was a terrific shooter. A little foul prone, but very good. He didn't have a long NBA career but he played professionally until 1990.

Reactions: Kybluedude
Kat was literally unstoppable by end of season. Ad was money with the hook but preferred face up. Walker liked face up too. Mash was unstoppable when he wanted to post.

Still I think kats the best in my life
KAT was a beast. That ND game they just kept feeding him to make the comeback.

I’m biased though. I got history with Kenny. Great guy fantastic player. Mashburn 2. I think he would have been an all star in this nba era

Some thoughts:
Issel was slightly before my time, so I can't attest to his post-up prowess. However, I assume it was stellar.
Kenny Walker was the best post-up forward (from the block) I've seen at UK.
Someone mentioned AD. IMO, he's really not even in the top 15-20. That's not who he was when he was here.
Bowie was the best pass-first post player.
Turp was great from the "high" post. His 10' turnaround was money.
Someone mentioned Hayes and Daniels, and I couldn't agree more. Tubby utilized them perfectly. Both could score down low and they were both excellent passers out of the post.
Mash was a surprisingly effective post player. But I preferred him on the perimeter.
I thought KAT was really good, but not great.

JMO.

Yeah, even though a F, I think the best I saw was Walker. I didn’t see Bowie pre-injury, and Mashburn was better all-around. But on the blocks needing a basket, Sky is who I’d want.
Yeah, and everyone knew he was getting the ball and they still couldn’t stop him. No finger rolls or bank shots. If he could dunk it, he would, and he’d try to tear the rim off.

Many dont remember, but Jason Parker was absolutely automatic if he got the ball low. So was
I really enjoyed watching the undersized Erik Daniel's and Chuck Hayes play together. They had chemistry I've only witnessed a few times. They could play blindfolded with each other I think. Just new where each other would be. It was a treat. They dominated many games.

Issel dominated while he played. All-American and of course all SEC. My favorite of all time.
No doubt. But for those of us < 60-65 who never saw him, was he mostly playing on the blocks, or shooting from perimeter (which I think he did a lot of in nba?

Many dont remember, but Jason Parker was absolutely automatic if he got the ball low. So was Estill.

I loved watching parker gather, pump fake, and one hand power dunk anything around the rim. That said I don't recall him having any real post prowess.

Estill was very good. So was Randolph Morris for that matter. At least in terms of pure post play.

Lost in the shuffle: Jim Andrews.

He wasn't the best, but he was very good, and he almost never gets a mention.

Also neglected: Mike Philips

He was a terrific shooter. A little foul prone, but very good. He didn't have a long NBA career but he played professionally until 1990.
Andrews has more double double than anyone in UK history except Dan Issel

Sky was the best I ever saw--that is, from about '75 and on.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT