ADVERTISEMENT

Best Credit Card

Use an AMEX Blue Preferred. 6% on groceries and 3% on gas. 1% on everything else.

Pay off every month. The cash back adds up much quicker than you think.

Reactions: JDHoss
I use a Marriott Bonvoy visa $99 fee but they give you one free room per year to cover that fee and I spend enough money to get five or six additional hotel rooms per year at places like Fairfield Inn Springhill suites I also have the Costco credit card. I think their membership is $160 a year but you get that money back. I put everything on credit cards and pay off every month.

I’d think if you don’t have the money to pay off your expenses every month you need to change some other things…outside of getting credit cards.
Right, which is why I said if you don’t have money to pay off every month, no brainer (didn’t say which way, just should be a no brainer not to, but unfortunately many make wrong choices.)

Shutting my credit down permanently in about 6 months. No such thing as a good credit card. Should only exist for emergencies, not day to day life.
Not true at all. You just have to be responsible and pay it off every month. The rewards can be really useful. Plus, credit cards are much safer than a debit card or cash when it comes to theft.

I like my Amazon Prime Visa. Gets I believe 5% back and I get stuff free or cheaper off Amazon with that. Going to pay it right back off here shortly. Thought about seeing if I could pay my monthly bills with it and pay off each month to rack up the rewards on stuff I had to pay anyways.

If you’re a small business owner the Capital One Spark card is fantastic. I moved pretty much all of my vendors over to it about 10 years ago….2% on all. I typically have $40-50K in monthly purchases so $800-1k in rebates, which has been awesome.

Chase Sapphire Reserve for personal.

It's not a credit card, but I highly recommend joining the CVS Extra Care Plus program for $5 a month. Join and you automatically get $10 in CVS bucks to spend each month in addition to 20% off all CVS brand products and other monthly coupons ranging up to 40% off purchases. We've been a member since 2015 and have saved $3215. Year to date, we've saved $352. It's basically free money.

I've rotated a bunch. I can't comment on travel cards, but the best one I've found is Discover IT. 5% cash back on rotating-yet-useful categories. On top of that you can use those rewards to get discounts on gift cards. Home depot offers a 10% discount on cards. So you could really get a nice stackable discount.

And when a category isn't in that quarter, I'll use another card like Capital One Savor for 3% back on all dining or the Citi Premier which offers 3% on grocery and gas.

However, Citi's rewards are shit, and they offer less value if you use it to credit back purchases. If you want the FULL value of your rewards they make you jump through a lot of ui/ux nonsense to do it and that pisses me off (a 8digit one time pass code and various "next screens" just for that reward? FU).

A sleeper card, if you like their stuff, is the Gap card. A decent brand card on its own, but the real benefit is they offer these monthly spend-offers where if you spend $500 outside the brand you get $50. That's a 10% reward, just to use it for you normal stuff like gas and grocery. And an even more insane deal, they sometimes offer a deal where if you use the card 5 times outside of the brand you get that $50. So five packs of gum at the gas station (separate bills of course), gets you like a 500% reward lol. Granted you have to use the rewards on that gap brand.. but almost anyone can find use for something of theirs (old navy and BR, too). I probably get about $400/year worth of "free" Gap clothes this way.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT