ADVERTISEMENT

Best Chips and Salsa

funKYcat75

All-American
Apr 10, 2008
Free Mash
I know everyone's favorite strip mall Mexican place will have better, but what chains, Mexican or not, have the best Chips and Salsa and/or queso?

Since there are multiple locations, I'll go with Mi Pequena Hacienda for Mexican spots and Chilis for a traditional chain. Qdoba has great chips, but I'm not a fan of their salsa.

This thread should pair well with the $1 Margarita thread.

MV5BNzcxZmE3MjgtMTJkNi00MmRjLThkZmYtNWJlODhiNjA0YWMxXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzU1NzE3NTg@._V1_.jpg

1L61.gif

I know everyone's favorite strip mall Mexican place will have better, but what chains, Mexican or not, have the best Chips and Salsa and/or queso?

Since there are multiple locations, I'll go with Mi Pequena Hacienda for Mexican spots and Chilis for a traditional chain. Qdoba has great chips, but I'm not a fan of their salsa.

In line with the $1 margs…

Chili’s (another iconic American eatery I wasn’t sure still existed) has AYCE chips/salsa plus an entree for 10.99. What a deal.

Outside of CFA, I’m not sure how fast food restaurants manage.

I went to a real-deal Mexican spot with my real-deal Mexican friends once, and they had no chips and salsa. All the Mexicans made fun of me for asking. I explained to them that as a gringo I’m accustomed to receiving and eating about 2 pounds of complimentary chips/salsa with every Mexican meal. No compromises. The owner went next door to the tienda and brought me a bag of pork rinds [laughing]. Still not satisfied, obviously, she then fried me up some fresh tortilla chips with guacamole. They all got an important American lesson that day.

If you’re ever in the Houston area I highly recommend Pappasito’s for chips, salsa, and outstanding Tex-Mex.
Tejas as has the best chips n salsa hands down in the USA but it’s never served in Mexico 🇲🇽 but many of the Mexicans other South Americas have done well perfecting different types as appetizer 🍺

Chili's and tumbleweed chips seem the same to me, love them both. Love Chili's skillet queso, El Maguey for the salsa

Chuy’s? Really?

I actually think they made a conscious business decision to make their salsa as shitty as possible, so that you have to spend the extra money on their creamy jalapeño dip(🔥).

Chuy’s? Really?

I actually think they made a conscious business decision to make their salsa as shitty as possible, so that you have to spend the extra money on their creamy jalapeño dip(🔥).
I don’t know how your chuys works but the creamy dip comes with the chips in Louisville. And their salsa is the best of the local (Louisville) area.

I don’t know how your chuys works but the creamy dip comes with the chips in Louisville. And their salsa is the best of the local (Louisville) area.
Yep, for a chain, Chuy’s has easily the best salsa I’ve found in this area. It’s not as good as the creamy jalapeño dip, but not much is.

Reactions: mdlUK.1
If we are throwing jalapeno dip around now in a salsa thread, I am going to switch to queso. Find me a better one than J Alexanders.

Reactions: parrott
Outside of shitty Mexican restaurant recommendations this thread is turning into, does anyone here have any self control with the chips and salsa before the entree? I can count on one hand how many times I’m not completely stuffed by the time the entree rolls around. Typically going through at least 4 small red bowls of salsa in the first 10 minutes.

Obviously. I would say eating allllll the chips & salsa is the best trait Americans have.

I can be at home with damned Tostitos, plus whatever bs medium/hot salsa is conveniently placed by the Tostitos, and you can bet your ass I will eat those chips will they’re gone or my mouth is sore and bleeding.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
I can be at home with damned Tostitos, plus whatever bs medium/hot salsa is conveniently placed by the Tostitos, and you can bet your ass I will eat those chips will they’re gone or my mouth is sore and bleeding.

Tostitos + shredded mexican cheese in the microwave for 45 seconds and it doesn't get much better than that.

Also, Richmond has a real deal Taco Truck now. Posted up in the liquor store parking lot. All the Mexicanos love it. It’s numero uno real deal legit Mexican shit they say.

We go, I spend about $20 and don’t even get full. Nope, no complimentary chips eating at a damn truck. It’s good, it’s fine…it ain’t worth it.

You can find me at the traditional Mex-American spot getting FAT on XL Modelos and all the chips I can eat. The way the good Lord intended.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
If you have a bag of chips from a Mexican restaurant one Chilis at home toss the chips in the microwave for 30 seconds and hit them with couple shakes of Lawry’s. Game changing.

The seasoned chips are the one good thing about Salsaritas.

Reactions: funKYcat75
Outside of shitty Mexican restaurant recommendations this thread is turning into, does anyone here have any self control with the chips and salsa before the entree? I can count on one hand how many times I’m not completely stuffed by the time the entree rolls around. Typically going through at least 4 small red bowls of salsa in the first 10 minutes.
No. None whatsoever. It’s why I always order fajitas and just eat straight from the hot plate without tortillas. As non-fit as I am, I know when to stop shoving carbs down my gullet, and that time is when the entrée arrives.
The seasoned chips are the one good thing about Salsaritas.
I forgot about those. They are really good. Is Salsaritas just a truck now?

Reactions: K86 and Ron Mehico
I’m pretty sure the Salsaritas truck is gone too. It use to regularly set up down town and it’s been a while since I’ve seen it.

Chili's and tumbleweed chips seem the same to me, love them both. Love Chili's skillet queso, El Maguey for the salsa
Last time I ate Tumbleweed the salsa it tasted like pure ketchup. Love their burrito deluxe meal as one of my favorite out of any restaurant. Miss Chichi's and Tumbleweed's waffle fries.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT