ADVERTISEMENT

Beau Allen

aikenite4uk

Senior
Oct 13, 2009
According to Stoops, is "in the mix" for the starting role. "He's a guy that definitely has some great ability, anticipation and can throw the ball." Getting them all reps is the problem. Interesting.....

Reactions: Freetaxreturn
Both Gatewood and Allen should get a shot. This season is basically a bit of a throwaway...feels like an exhibition with all the BS. Treat it as such.

There’s no excuse not to. When you’re throwing up 150 yds of offense and need defensive scores or tons of opponent turnovers to win then any mistakes made by inexperience aren’t all that relevant. Try it and see.

I say put him in there..along with all of the Freshmen WR's..I cant take much more of 2 TW's runs and then an over thrown pass or a drop by the WR..something has got to change with this offense..it maybe the worst offense I have seen in D-1 FB..just pathetic. It falls on the coaches and the players..

Worse than that he had Tim running the option.
I’m not sure but I don’t think Beau is an rpo this qb. He’s a distributor with a good arm and football iq.
Would we have to change our offense for him? He needs a sophisticated passing game with innovative pass routes

Last edited:
Would say the coaches are worried if Allen was to prove he is the best QB then Gatewood might leave and we are short of QB's next year. Why does Wilson and Rose run out of bounds when they can get another five yards? Just don't like that.

Historically that is a recipe for disaster. The outcome always ends up with 3 QB who look awful because regardless of how good they might be, they get no rhythm going.
Can't be any worse than what we saw in the last game.

I am a HUGE fan of B Allen we watched a couple of his HS games.
I do think he is our future at QB especially if we want to put the ball in the air more and get to a balanced game.

TW has won us a lot of games and I think JG can help us on the field this year some and next.

But B Allen and the Somerset Kaiya Sheron is our future at putting the ball in the air with greater accuracy and shooting for a more balanced game.

And this is not me saying I want B Allen out there now I'm just saying for our future.

We're in a bad place if Stoops is having issues choosing between 3 QB's.
I know right! 2 4-star QBs and a 5-star QB and the coaches are torn trying figure out which one might be able to throw it for more than 35yds. This is where we're at. Kentucky's passing offense is the laughing stock of college football. There, "I said it coach Stoops, now get all red-faced mad and continue not fixing it!"

Last edited:
I know right! 2 4-star QBs and a 5-star QB and we're torn on figuring out which one might be able to throw it for more than 35yds. Sheesh!
If by 2 4-stars and a 5-star you mean 2 4-stars and a 3-star, then you’re right. No 5 star QB’s on this roster.

As for Allen, he’s our future, but you 100% give Joey the first shot. You don’t throw a first year QB to the wolves unless he is your absolute best option, and I don’t think he is.

If by 2 4-stars and a 5-star you mean 2 4-stars and a 3-star, then you’re right. No 5 star QB’s on this roster.

As for Allen, he’s our future, but you 100% give Joey the first shot. You don’t throw a first year QB to the wolves unless he is your absolute best option, and I don’t think he is.
Well, Gatewood was very close to being a 5-star and I thought I saw one service that had Terry Wilson as a 4-star coming out of high school. Anyway, we're splitting hairs here. The point is, the talent is there. What the coaches end up doing with it is more the problem.

Our wide receivers are also mediocre at best and likely none would make the two deep on any other SEC TEAM not named Vanderbilt. Great WR make QB’ s look great.
I will never disagree with anyone that greater talent helps. It absolutely does. Maybe some of the younger guys will step up and be something, who knows. But, 8+ years into Stoops tenure, QB, WR and TE talent has come and gone. The one thing that has remained is that, at it's absolute best, a UK\Stoops passing offense has been pedestrian and at it's worst is what we've seen this year, which is a laughing stock.

I'm sorry, but the passing game does not have to be this difficult. Look around the country, teams everywhere are chucking it all over the place. Many with far less talent than UK has. It clearly does not have to be this hard. I mean, completing a 5 yard pass in a Stoops offense is like pulling teeth.

Last edited:
According to Stoops, is "in the mix" for the starting role. "He's a guy that definitely has some great ability, anticipation and can throw the ball." Getting them all reps is the problem. Interesting.....
If he was defense, I would put some credit on what Coach Stoops said. Since he is a QB, I would trust Gran or Hinshaw a lot more. Coach Stoops never seen a throwing QB he liked. I would like to see Gatewood get a full half playing, not just a couple of snaps.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

I am a HUGE fan of B Allen we watched a couple of his HS games.
I do think he is our future at QB especially if we want to put the ball in the air more and get to a balanced game.

TW has won us a lot of games and I think JG can help us on the field this year some and next.

But B Allen and the Somerset Kaiya Sheron is our future at putting the ball in the air with greater accuracy and shooting for a more balanced game.

And this is not me saying I want B Allen out there now I'm just saying for our future.
Serious question. Do you think Allen is a “fit” for Stoops/Grans current offensive scheme? Cause I have doubts that they are willing or able to change to a more open offense. Won’t surprise me one bit if Allen ends up at West Virginia.

Serious question. Do you think Allen is a “fit” for Stoops/Grans current offensive scheme? Cause I have doubts that they are willing or able to change to a more open offense. Won’t surprise me one bit if Allen ends up at West Virginia.

At this time no he is not a better fit as Stoops/Gran want to run the QB more than I think B Allen should run the ball.
BUT once our receivers start to create space I think B Allen eventually will have the quicker more accurate release over both TW and JG. This may not come to next year but I think its eventually coming (Or shall I say I hope).

I think one of the issues is that Terri just isn’t a good passer. We saw last year with Sawyer that they are willing to throw the ball if they feel it’s the QB’s strength. He threw it 35, 41 and 32 times in his 3 starts. Even Stephen Johnson threw it 25 times per game his senior season and he wasn’t a great passer (he did have a beautiful long ball).

If/when Beau Allen is the guy, he will throw the ball, I have no doubt.

Worse than that he had Tim running the option.
I’m not sure but I don’t think Beau is an rpo this qb. He’s a distributor with a good arm and football iq.
Would we have to change our offense for him? He needs a sophisticated passing game with innovative pass routes
Innovative routes is not Grans strong point. That’s part of our WRs not being able to get open. We don’t have the elite athlete to win 1on1 battles but we do not scheme the routes to pull defenders away and create openings in zone either.

Reactions: ukalum1988
What about Sawyer?
Actually, that's a good question. Last year, when he was healthy (which wasn't for long), he made some impressive throws. Certainly better than what we're trotting out there now. Alas, he's not the future so holding the clipboard and trying to get his coaching resume' burnished is where he's at.

With Wilson likely out I can definitely see a scenario where they platoon Gatewood and Allen, that way they don't put the whole load on one guy, let one come off the field, coach him up a little bit let him catch his thoughts and go back in alternatively. I mean we are big underdogs so there's nothing to lose.

Either one of those guys can make some big throw, the question is can our receivers provide the opportunities for those throws? Dailey is starting to pick it up, Oliver should be 100%, maybe Drennen can provide a spark?

With Wilson likely out I can definitely see a scenario where they platoon Gatewood and Allen, that way they don't put the whole load on one guy, let one come off the field, coach him up a little bit let him catch his thoughts and go back in alternatively. I mean we are big underdogs so there's nothing to lose.

Either one of those guys can make some big throw, the question is can our receivers provide the opportunities for those throws? Dailey is starting to pick it up, Oliver should be 100%, maybe Drennen can provide a spark?
Wilson is not likely out. I honestly think he still gets the start.

Edit: never mind, just saw that he’s not been practicing

Last edited:
As soon as Gatewood plays.

OLD STOLL FIELD GUY!

Yep. The back up QB is the Most Popular player on the Football Team. Not just at UK. It’s a phenomenon what’s even better is when the back up comes in then the next in line of the most popular.

Reactions: willievic
Have said it in a couple other threads here and another site, use this year as open tryout for next year. The last 5 games both Allen and Gatewood play. Who ever does the better job, goes into next spring as QB1, then use spring ball to give the QB2 a chance. Same with other positions. TW is a great kid, done some great things for us. His heart is just not into it any more. It is obvious watching him play, and the injury had / has a lot to do with it. He is playing scared and just doesn't want to fully commit like a QB has to. I say either play them both a quarter or half at a time. And I get it, if the QB is playing well and we are leading it may be tough to replace him, in that case, look at the over all situation and make a decision.
Also, get guys like Hayes, Harris, Branham, Drennen, and McClain more reps and see what we got. This is a throw away year, use it as such. What better way to see what you got than live SEC game action. It is a lot better try out than 80% game speed in spring practice against your own team. Not like we are beating Georgia or Bama, or Florida anyway. Use these games to get a jump start for next year, come in the spring with depth charts pretty much lined out.

The O-line, they have earned the right to keep playing, Leave them in. Also, it will help the QB's and RB's to gain experience and have a good line to see what they can do.

Heard the same thing about Drew Barker, Patrick Towles, Morgan Newton, I could go on and on. I don't get my hopes up until they prove they can perform at a high level in the SEC. Woodson, Lorenzen, and Couch are the only UK Quarterbacks that could in my lifetime.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT