ADVERTISEMENT

BBN, We Should Have Seen This Coming

Catswin9

Blue Chip Prospect
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2015
South Carolina simply wanted this game more than Kentucky. Kentucky is a soft team on defense. Kentucky has better players than SC, but they have a coach that is tougher, and his team reflected his personality.

Maybe, our team might ask the week off for rest. Cal has already admitted he has approved an earlier request for a day off. Can you imagine a team asking Nick Saban for a day off?

Simply soft!

5 seniors, 3 fifth year. Not in our house mentality. A coach familiar with how to play Cal teams and win.

Things happen, I still blame Cal but it does not mean the sky is falling. Until UK gets to the NCAAs and run into the same situation again and they have not grown.

Reactions: Fox2monk and gojvc
Teaching defensive fundamentals would go a long way to overcoming Superman syndrome when we play these lesser talent teams. Focus on rebounding and staying in front of your man on defense and even rock-fights can be overcome.
Teaching defensive fundamentals would go a long way to overcoming Superman syndrome when we play these lesser talent teams. Focus on rebounding and staying in front of your man on defense and even rock-fights can be overcome.

SC definitely wanted it more. You'd think they just won their championship by how their players/fans/media are acting, and good for them. They deserved that win last night. If they could actually do something outside of the Kentucky game, they'd garner alot more respect nationally. I fully expect them to lose either their next game against Mizzou or get crushed on the road @UT.

Meanwhile for us it was just another Tuesday night looking completely soft and uninterested. After they went on that run to push it to 15 our guys gave up. Still have a long way until March, so maybe we can hope for a miracle: Cal figures out how to coach

Some of us did see this coming but people thought we just needed to score and defense didn't matter. I have been saying for 3 seasons that our defense is terrible.

Reactions: NociHTTP
I’m never shocked over an upset. I’ve watched thousands of games and I understand that the better team does not always win. It’s one of the great things about sports.
True, but to make USC's Johnson look like he was not even included in the scouting report after he scorched us in Rupp last year is hard to defend.

Cal has had great defensive teams in the past. Did they play great D on their own? I believe Cal has taught defense in his career. These players have the athleticism to play good defense but perhaps lack the "want to" factor.
They are skilled offensively and for the younger players that's been their focus. To achieve what they desire this season they are going to have to buy in to playing tougher and focus on getting stops as opposed to outscoring opponents.
I hope they do because what we all define as a successful season depends on it.

South Carolina simply wanted this game more than Kentucky. Kentucky is a soft team on defense. Kentucky has better players than SC, but they have a coach that is tougher, and his team reflected his personality.

Maybe, our team might ask the week off for rest. Cal has already admitted he has approved an earlier request for a day off. Can you imagine a team asking Nick Saban for a day off?

Simply soft!
So again sadly this is where UK is ! Either Cal is telling another of his BS lies about a player asking off or we are truly charmin soft. This is BCG level off the court crap.

just wonder what is taught in practice.......sure isn't defense, or rebounding or any fundamentals
It is telling about the state of "high school" basketball that anyone entering college should have to be taught fundamentals. But what do you expect when most of these elite kids play on glorified AAU teams masquerading as high school teams and only care about exposure and not being a good team.

It is telling about the state of "high school" basketball that anyone entering college should have to be taught fundamentals. But what do you expect when most of these elite kids play on glorified AAU teams masquerading as high school teams and only care about exposure and not being a good team.
Totally agree. But if I'm a college coach (and I'm not), players don't see the floor if they can't box out and rebound the ball. Step 2 is making sure they have a 'want to' attitude on defense. Want to stay in front of their man. Want to play help defense. Want to stop the other team from scoring.

Reactions: NociHTTP
We have ten or eleven three-to-five-star players and a hall of fame coach and get beat by seventeen points to a team with a second-year coach and nobody on their roster who could start for Kentucky. Something is wrong here, I can understand it happening once in a while, but this won't be the last time we lose to a team that we should beat. It could happen Saturday again, we are supposed to be good enough this shouldn't be happening so often, with the staff and head coach we have. This just shows you we are not as good or as well coached as some might think.

Teaching defensive fundamentals would go a long way to overcoming Superman syndrome when we play these lesser talent teams.

Focus on rebounding and staying in front of your man on defense and even rock-fights can be overcome.
Hard to beat a team of Seniors and Fifth-year Seniors (in other words, “men”) with a bunch of boys just out of HS. Especially when the “men” are tired of listening to how good the “boys” are. (Reeves snd Mitchell excluded). Add in the fact that Cal is not a good in-game or pre-game coach and the result was what we saw last night.

saw this earlier

"This is the 91st season that Kentucky has played in the SEC. This is the first time ever that Kentucky has allowed at least 77 points in each of their first 6 SEC games of a season."

We have ten or eleven three-to-five-star players and a hall of fame coach and get beat by seventeen points to a team with a second-year coach and nobody on their roster who could start for Kentucky. Something is wrong here, I can understand it happening once in a while, but this won't be the last time we lose to a team that we should beat. It could happen Saturday again, we are supposed to be good enough this shouldn't be happening so often, with the staff and head coach we have. This just shows you we are not as good or as well coached as some might think.
And it’s been happening for years!

Just wow. 91 freaking years.

Cal continues to set dubious records.
I'm not sure the impact of it other than people who are dismissing UK's defensive woes because of their scoring prowess really didn't understand its impact

it only took one game to make them believers. They couldn't comprehend the team could have an off shooting night due to pressure.

Simply soft!
Just like somebody on here said these young kids are out of high school cannot play against grown ass men in their fourth or fifth years of college. I don’t care how many stars they have South Carolina was too physical and we couldn’t handle it.!! When I graduated high school some of us guys from the previous years team came back and really beat down the new starting five at my high school because they were young and immature as well as not as strong as us!!

Here’s my point Calipari had several opportunities to transfer in big-time talent, and he made no attempt to do so!! he wanted five freshman. That’s what he got.!! Players like the kid that transferred to Tennessee that’s lightening up the SEC right now, would’ve loved to have the opportunity to play for Kentucky. He even told a few of his friends that, but Cal made no attempt to even try to transfer him in.!! We just can’t expect to win NCAA championships with five freshmen and no mature players it’s not happening.!! Maybe for the draft, but not for our success in college basketball!! Bruce Pearl is really successful because he transfers in mature players he scours all college basketball, including Junior college players and that’s why he’s so successful so fast!! This is just my opinion and I have been a Kentucky Wildcats fan since 1966!! 🏀

Teaching defensive fundamentals would go a long way to overcoming Superman syndrome when we play these lesser talent teams.

Focus on rebounding and staying in front of your man on defense and even rock-fights can be overcome.
Exactly, I’ve never seen a team watch the ball, jump on every little head movement, try to steal every pass like ours does. It leads to every issue we have, no defense in the lane, lost switching on defense, and playing 5 on 4 when someone overshoots and misses.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT