ADVERTISEMENT

BB practice nugget

A little birdie told me that Toppin and Collins looked good today. The highlight was Thiero, who had a put back dunk over Oscar, Jacob, Lance, and Collins that was phenomenal. This crew is very athletic.
Your birdie is not wrong on Thiero. He's been impressive for a guy who had no hype coming into the program. He's extremely skilled and if he gets to 6'7-6'9 range as expected, they may have found a guy who is a special player. He's going to get minutes in Bahamas to see what he can do against opponents. Know that Antigua is very high on him.

I like the length of Reeves, Thiero, and Livingston on the wing. If even one of them develops as a high-level defender, you can suddenly shut down any opposing wing combo because Wallace is going to shut down a lot of shooting guards this year.
Our defense at the 2-4 was pretty atrocious last year, I expect a major upgrade in D at those spots this year!

I know we always hear good reports but if all these reports stay true, then we very well could be good. Very good. National championship good
I think that loss to end last season might just serve as fuel to go on a revenge tour this season. I’m hoping for the same kind of season UVA had following their historic loss in the tourney. And barring injury issues, we have the team to do it.

Gotta wonder what Cal will cook up with as much depth as we had in a while and some hungry guys on the bench ready to play. Starting to see a platoon of 4 guys in and out to surround Oscar and Collins and let Ware sub them 2 guys out. If the other big guy comes Monday then deeeeeep at every spot.

Gotta wonder what Cal will cook up with as much depth as we had in a while and some hungry guys on the bench ready to play. Starting to see a platoon of 4 guys in and out to surround Oscar and Collins and let Ware sub them 2 guys out. If the other big guy comes Monday then deeeeeep at every spot.
Lmao platoon. You’re insane. Never again.

I’m not sure Ware can contribute at a high level for very long. Would love to be wrong. If we get Kingsley reclass as expected he may win the back up Oscar role by mid December. Also could be too raw.

I think Livingston is gonna have to play some 4 so Collins can give Oscar a breath at the 5.

If Thiero really is a ready to contribute, that’s huge. But I will have to see it first. Even without him our guard depth is very good if Fredrick stays healthy.

Your birdie is not wrong on Thiero. He's been impressive for a guy who had no hype coming into the program. He's extremely skilled and if he gets to 6'7-6'9 range as expected, they may have found a guy who is a special player. He's going to get minutes in Bahamas to see what he can do against opponents. Know that Antigua is very high on him.
I’m excited to see the kid play. All this hype has me excited but I don’t wanna buy into the practice monster quite yet. I do think he has potential just because of that growth spurt. Like AD he was overlooked until that massive spurt and then he was insane because he kept all the guard skills he already had.

Reactions: chroix
I like the length of Reeves, Thiero, and Livingston on the wing. If even one of them develops as a high-level defender, you can suddenly shut down any opposing wing combo because Wallace is going to shut down a lot of shooting guards this year.
That is going to be nice, if Collins put on enough strength to stay in the game he could be a force as well. I hope early in that Theiro could play a Liggins on defense role when he gets minutes.

Reactions: chroix
You differentiate yourself in the paint mostly IMO...
- Oscar is going to be Oscar...and we all saw how mis match he was.
- But if Collins takes the step his potential argues he has....that is 2 inside guys most teams can't match.

I honestly think the ceiling hinges on Toppin or Collins developing a three point shot. All four Final 4 teams had a power forward who spread the floor. I no longer think you can win a championship with a 2-in, 3-out lineup.

I've had the same feeling about Thiero that I had about SGA. Kid just seems like a natural baller. I think people are gonna be shocked how much he contributes THIS season.

I’ve always been high on this kid. Just going by his pedigree and his trajectory is very encouraging. I like guys that are ascending as they approach the end of their high school careers. He led his high school team to the 4A title in Pennsylvania. His stat line in the title game was absolutely monstrous: 31 points, 17 boards, 7 blocks and drew a whopping 14 fouls.

I've had the same feeling about Thiero that I had about SGA. Kid just seems like a natural baller. I think people are gonna be shocked how much he contributes THIS season.
Only ifCal gives him some time in any blowouts we have. Cal’s subbing patterns are usually horrific so we will have to let this all play out. I like the make up of the team but Cal tempers my excitement tremendously.

A lot different than SGA. By time I'd gotten info on him from friend he mentioned he's their best PG prospect and should be starting. He'd shown a lot more at an earlier stage but this isn't a shot at Thiero as much as it's saying how much further along SGA was.

You s
I’m not sure Ware can contribute at a high level for very long. Would love to be wrong. If we get Kingsley reclass as expected he may win the back up Oscar role by mid December. Also could be too raw.

I think Livingston is gonna have to play some 4 so Collins can give Oscar a breath at the 5.

If Thiero really is a ready to contribute, that’s huge. But I will have to see it first. Even without him our guard depth is very good if Fredrick stays healthy.
You seem to be leaving Toppin out of the mix. He will be the starting 4.

You s

You seem to be leaving Toppin out of the mix. He will be the starting 4.
Nope. I was discussing what are the biggest question marks for me next season. Toppin isn’t really a question mark for me in the way the guys I talked about were.

I’m surprised you’re just calling me out for Toppin. I didn’t mention Wheeler, Wallace, or Oscar either (again, none being as big question marks for me).

A lot different than SGA. By time I'd gotten info on him from friend he mentioned he's their best PG prospect and should be starting. He'd shown a lot more at an earlier stage but this isn't a shot at Thiero as much as it's saying how much further along SGA was.
I blindly trust everything you say. So I'm gonna assume you're right. 🤣

You differentiate yourself in the paint mostly IMO...
- Oscar is going to be Oscar...and we all saw how mis match he was.
- But if Collins takes the step his potential argues he has....that is 2 inside guys most teams can't match.
Don’t forget Toppin. I expect him to be a very big contributor this season.

Our defense at the 2-4 was pretty atrocious last year, I expect a major upgrade in D at those spots this year!
You are not wrong! They had heart and want to. They wore down! This year is a major major improvement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT