ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor leads for roach

Question about NIL ... if we got what? 4 million? That isn't going to last with a player like Roach getting 1.5 million ... how much are the top tier players getting then? That 4 mill isn't gonna be donated yearly I wouldn't imagine.
4 million was just 2 boosters and neither were Joe Craft.

I don't know anything about Baylors NIL budget

that said, lets say I'm a coach at a decent P5 school or even a second tier school. I need to make a recruiting impact with a limited budget. I'm willing to blow my whole budget on 1 or 2 guys and hope that I can land development guys to carry the rest of the team, while the major programs with serious NIL money are going to try to fill a roster with guys at market value

of course the problem is that every player with stats close to Roach will now say if Roach is worth $1.5m, then I must be worth X, and next year that amount will escalate with another coach trying to either save his job or get his program past the first round.

This will continue until either the coaching community revolts and colludes behind the scenes to limit this (won't work) , the NCAA steps in and puts mandatory caps for programs (no fair way to be equitable to colleges of limited budget) or you end up with maybe 12-15 schools that can afford $12m a year NIL budgets

There will be a major shakeout of this in the next 6 years - its a competitive sport and colleges will do whatever they can to gain an advantage including milking every donor and coverting every revenue stream they have into NIL

until everyone realizes the juice is not worth the squeeze.

I wouldn't expect it to self correct any time soon.

Roy Williams, Nick Saban, Coach K, Coach Calipari and a host of other big names have all quit coveted jobs because they knew that NIL was too disruptive to their ability to win.

Last edited:
I mean people can say what they want but there are reasons to be worried about Pope getting good players.
Debbie Downer Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

That’s fine. But then UK may be missing on alot of guys.

College basketball is turning into the most overpaid industry in America.
They aren't getting 1.5 million.
I can put out any number just like these other guys do. It isn't accurate. Sounds good though

We’ve contacted prolly 20+ players and a team leads for one player and now it’s all over. Yall mfers are hilarious .
Well it’s way more then one player../but knock yourself out with how amazing next year is looking right now

I mean people can say what they want but there are reasons to be worried about Pope getting good players.
The only thing I am worried about is how long it will be before this board becomes so toxic, from the handful but loud bunch of fans who see the negative in everything, that I just can't bare to come here anymore and argue with you negative Nancy's.

The only thing I am worried about is how long it will be before this board becomes so toxic, from the handful but loud bunch of fans who see the negative in everything, that I just can't bare to come here anymore and argue with you negative Nancy's.
It's already been there for me. Long time poster who hasn't been around much in the last 3-4 years between the negativity on this board...the OAD....Calipari's antics....etc.
I would go months without even opening this site up. Then when Calipari left and Pope was hired (good hire? time will tell) I started reading/posting again. But even with the hire....this board hasn't changed.

Reactions: ruppsrunt66
no there’s really not. We’re having a roster reset that makes everything different this season. He runs a style that these kids are going to want to play in, we’ve got the NIL, good sponsorships, and the program. The issue here is we’re having to do this a certain way and it’s not going to be as quick as some like. We’re good man.
Other schools have NIL. Scholarships. And I think it’s been proven at this point that kids don’t care about the jersey or tradition. This is just another team to play for. Just like AAU. I think mark can be a great coach but i won’t be suprised if he struggles recruiting players this season. if he can some how cobble together some dudes and get some wins and make players better .. next season could change for him.

Well it’s way more then one player../but knock yourself out with how amazing next year is looking right now
Then go ahead and name them all if it’s soo many …

And tons of teams don’t have much on there roster so why freak out…and I have plenty of faith in pope. You can keep your negative outlook on your end bud.

He's a must get imo to seriously contend next year. He's only level 1 pg in portal. There's a,few good players for sure but Roach would be huge n not to much a loss from Reed.

I'm sure we will be fine.

Barney refused to go after a more proven coach with recruiting clout and obviously if we had hired one of those we would have a better roster today. Pope will be fine but he has little street cred.
Who is that more proven coach you wanted?

Let me get all this straight.

Cal comes and wins BIG with one and does, mercenaries. WE LOVE 'EM.

The game changes and the mercenaries can't win titles, or even big games anymore. WE HATE 'EM.

We complain and the Rich Cats start to cut off Cal's NIL funds for even better, more experienced mercenaries. Cal bolts, Pope arrives. Everyone throws money at NIL for him to go buy the best mercenaries he can get because WE LOVE 'EM.

Pope says mercenaries don't win titles, passion does. I need MY guys and a family and I promise we'll win. Wait .......

Does he hate 'em? Love 'em?

The problem is we're used to Top 20 signings. But those didn't bring titles. So are we, collectively, willing to let Coach Pope try something different without being as Bill Curry called "The Fellowship of the Miserable". Point being, the man is undefeated so far. Lets give him a chance a get a product together before we declare it a failure.

Let me get all this straight.

Cal comes and wins BIG with one and does, mercenaries. WE LOVE 'EM.

The game changes and the mercenaries can't win titles, or even big games anymore. WE HATE 'EM.

We complain and the Rich Cats start to cut off Cal's NIL funds for even better, more experienced mercenaries. Cal bolts, Pope arrives. Everyone throws money at NIL for him to go buy the best mercenaries he can get because WE LOVE 'EM.

Pope says mercenaries don't win titles, passion does. I need MY guys and a family and I promise we'll win. Wait .......

Does he hate 'em? Love 'em?

The problem is we're used to Top 20 signings. But those didn't bring titles. So are we, collectively, willing to let Coach Pope try something different without being as Bill Curry called "The Fellowship of the Miserable". Point being, the man is undefeated so far. Lets give him a chance a get a product together before we declare it a failure.
The definition of a mercenary is someone who sells his services to the highest bidder without loyalty to his employer. We will be like the rest of college sports teams, in a bidding war to get the players we want to be here for a year. We will be getting one and dones but they will be fourth and fifth year players instead of freshmen.

I hope Coach Pope has a long successful run in his time as our coach and I will support him the same as I have all the other coaches before him, but I'm afraid it will be like the last few years with Calipari, some will defend him no matter if he does well or not while he will never please others even if he is successful.

• Wow
Reactions: ruppsrunt66
Same here. When they leave here, they're dead to me.

It's difficult to recruit guys here right now because (a) there has been a complete reset and (b) players don't care about loyalty anymore, they don't want to hear Pope talking about UK's history.

Imagine being this big of a hypocrite and a fraud. Let me get this straight, players who are dead to you when they leave here don’t care about loyalty? TOO FUNNY!

Again, y’all have fun defending this BS.

Reactions: NC Weasel
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT