ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor leads for roach

What bothers me is that we live in a world where a single player on a college team is pulling 1.2m dollars for a single season. There are so many programs that cannot compete with that. College basketball needs regulation so bad. All of the money talk and bidding wars is really awful.

I’m all for paying players but this is pathetic.

It's difficult to recruit guys here right now because (a) there has been a complete reset and (b) players don't care about loyalty anymore, they don't want to hear Pope talking about UK's history.
100%, unfortunately UK isn’t recruiting 50-60 year old guys who want to sit around and talk about the good ole days.

I was very anti Drew, but at this point he would have been a home run hire.

To me it comes down to the same issue Michigan is having. Do you want one big fish and neglect the supporting cast somewhat, or do you want a team where is a community effort instead of having a star. I want Davis badly here, but if pope gets a bunch of good guys instead of one star I will be good with it as well
You pay for the stars and try and fill your roster out with role players who want to play for Kentucky and won’t require much NIL. Those guys could easily end up being better than a mid tier NIL guy anyway.

Jeremy Roach is a great player, he's worth a lot, but $1.5M is too much. I think Shulga is everything Jeremy Roach is just 6'5 vs 6'2. I think you absolutely get him if you can.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
I like the doomsday (we are going to be horrible for 5 years under Pope) because he does not have a full staff and roster after 5 days on the job. Heck the contract should have said if you do not win your first game within 10 minutes of contract signing you are out of here.

He might not get one single player and UK has to cancel the 2024-25 season. Heck he might be so bad at recruiting that Kentucky can never-ever field a basketball team. Heck Cal was so much better than Pope that we should have given him 15 million a week to stay at UK and win 24 games a year and not care. At least we would have field some mcdonalds kids that oh by the way some are not following him to Arkansas it seems. Oh wait maybe Pope is recruiting guys to BYU because he is so stupid that he forgot he is not coaching at KENTUCKY.

Heck because he is not getting the guys people think are the only way you are going to win there is no use in waiting to see if we can field a team, play basketball or whatever.

I'm sure we will be fine.

Barney refused to go after a more proven coach with recruiting clout and obviously if we had hired one of those we would have a better roster today. Pope will be fine but he has little street cred.

People! He hasn't even been our coach for a whole week. Not even a whole week. We don't need to sign 85 players. Just 13. Already have 2. It's smart to wait a bit because better players will be entering the portal. Give it time
You gonna be saying this in 3 weeks. Ain’t gonna happen. It’s not looking good

That’s fine. But then UK may be missing on alot of guys.

College basketball is turning into the most overpaid industry in America.
Yes. It is. The current model is unsustainable. The gulf between haves and have nots is too big. The result will be as charmless as AAU summer hoops.

Wendell Berry -- that good Henry County writer -- wrote, "If the crop of any one year was all, a man would have to cut his throat every time it hailed."

I'm imagining a state full of bloody bathrooms with every recruiting rumor. Learn from farmers, teachers, parents: patience, folks. Patience. It isn't just a word.

I've seen quite a few posts about us getting players who will play for the name on the front of the jersey. I'm afraid we won't be getting too many of those. Almost every player in the portal is looking to sell their services to the highest bidder. Most of them will have absolutely no allegiance to the school they sign with, just signing with the one who offers the most money. That is the definition of a mercenary.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
I've seen quite a few posts about us getting players who will play for the name on the front of the jersey. I'm afraid we won't be getting too many of those. Almost every player in the portal is looking to sell their services to the highest bidder. Most of them will have absolutely no allegiance to the school they sign with, just signing with the one who offers the most money. That is the definition of a mercenary.
We won't get people period without paying like every other school, our history does not matter to young kids today that have no UK ties.

Question about NIL ... if we got what? 4 million? That isn't going to last with a player like Roach getting 1.5 million ... how much are the top tier players getting then? That 4 mill isn't gonna be donated yearly I wouldn't imagine.

Reactions: Fox2monk
I'm sure we will be fine.

Barney refused to go after a more proven coach with recruiting clout and obviously if we had hired one of those we would have a better roster today. Pope will be fine but he has little street cred.
So Cal is a seasoned coach. How many does he have right now and he has had like 5 more days than Pope to do this. I Believe we have 2 players and Arkansas has Big Z on roster right now. We have 2 coaches and Cal has himself and maybe KP. Again, you do not like the hire so lets just pile on every single second of the day to make sure we know you do not like the hire. Pope was not the perfect hire. He is a good hire. I choose to wait and see who/what/where/when after the roster is built and such.

• Haha
Reactions: Fancatstik
Question about NIL ... if we got what? 4 million? That isn't going to last with a player like Roach getting 1.5 million ... how much are the top tier players getting then? That 4 mill isn't gonna be donated yearly I wouldn't imagine.
It’s gonna have to be, if we don’t find a way to get around 5-6 million a year in NIL we won’t compete.

I don't believe roach is getting 1.5 million. I think a lot of these NIL numbers are being inflated. I liked Roach, he's solid and dependable, but he's an undersized guard with very little NBA potential and only one year of eligibility left. I just don't believe he is really getting that kind of money. If he is, what are Flagg, Dybantsa, The boozers, ETC going to get? I just don't believe the number.

So Cal is a seasoned coach. How many does he have right now and he has had like 5 more days than Pope to do this. I Believe we have 2 players and Arkansas has Big Z on roster right now. We have 2 coaches and Cal has himself and maybe KP. Again, you do not like the hire so lets just pile on every single second of the day to make sure we know you do not like the hire. Pope was not the perfect hire. He is a good hire. I choose to wait and see who/what/where/when after the roster is built and such.

Yeah, I'm definitely not doing that but ok buddy. Wait and see. That's all we can do.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I don't believe roach is getting 1.5 million. I think a lot of these NIL numbers are being inflated. I liked Roach, he's solid and dependable, but he's an undersized guard with very little NBA potential and only one year of eligibility left. I just don't believe he is really getting that kind of money. If he is, what are Flagg, Dybantsa, The boozers, ETC going to get? I just don't believe the number.
I mean believe what you want, but we know the NIL budgets of these schools. Some of them discuss it publicly. It wouldn’t be unreasonable for a team with a $6mm budget to pay $1.5mm for a star player.

Yeah, I'm definitely not doing that but ok buddy. Wait and see. That's all we can do.
If we can get a team to play hard, play for KENTUCKY, wins more than loses this year it will be no worse that what we were going to have next year.

I am just happy the Moon PA Moron moved from Fayette County to Fayetteville. If Pope cannot handle the challenge we will be like we were with BCG. Then UK will move on. I just have a feeling (maybe because I have had several conversations with Mark Pope over the years) that he will do fine. I have not talked to him since he became a coach but the dude is a driven, smart man. He knows x and O's and utilizes a fun style of basketball. Hope it transitions over to here. Will be a fun ride just to have something different. Like discussing things and views. I am sure most were tired of my Cal bashing. I think we needed to move on from the past 15 years. I have been through coach Rupp to Hall (my father thought Hall was a horrible choice and never gave him a chance), to Sutton (knew he was not right from day 1) to RICK (love the coach, hated the man). Then Tubby, loved the man hated the recruiter to BCG (nuff said) to Cal and Now Pope. I have watched 4 of the 8 championships. We will endure we are KENTUCKY.

I mean believe what you want, but we know the NIL budgets of these schools. Some of them discuss it publicly. It wouldn’t be unreasonable for a team with a $6mm budget to pay $1.5mm for a star player.
Kinda makes you wonder what the entire NIL budget is.
Baylor is still a football school at heart.
Have no idea how much NIL it takes to field a women's BB team or a men's baseball team.

Roach denied he got that kind of money on X. I am not believing these numbers that are being thrown out. That being said, this has gotten completely out of hand and it’s minor league NBA and I hate it.

Reactions: bigbluedon
Everyone overreacting is funny. He’s visiting two today, and one is visiting Saturday. He’s in contact with plenty of players.

Storr wanted a million couldn’t get it and went to KU for 750. You have to get a core group of good players that can compete but more importantly improve year after year without going to the league. Then use your NIL to get a few portal players and 5 * high schoolers yearly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT