ADVERTISEMENT

Baylor leads for roach

I don’t think Roach comes to Kentucky or goes to Arkansas. Duke played Baylor last year and Roach scored 18 pts. Scott Drew knows him and likes him.

I mean people can say what they want but there are reasons to be worried about Pope getting good players.

no there’s really not. We’re having a roster reset that makes everything different this season. He runs a style that these kids are going to want to play in, we’ve got the NIL, good sponsorships, and the program. The issue here is we’re having to do this a certain way and it’s not going to be as quick as some like. We’re good man.

Last edited:
no there’s really not. We’re having a roster reset that makes everyone different this season. He runs a style that these kids are going to want to play in, we’ve got the NIL, good sponsorships, and the program. The issue here is we’re having to do this a certain way and it’s not going to be as quick as some like. We’re good man.
He prolly wanted the roster and staff set before Cal was fired.

Reactions: GradUK24
Everyone's favorite Trilly is predicting Roach to Baylor for $1.5 million in NIL

Roach isn’t that good. I’m fine with it. If his price tag takes away from the floor I’d rather not have him.

Baylor though, apparently out bidding Duke, to me shows that the major programs are not going to be held hostage. They’ll just move on and roster plan in other ways.

And I don’t believe this is because of Proctor, I believe it’s because Duke isn’t going to pay him that kind of money. The best programs are smart enough to know you don’t set a bad precedent by over paying these guys because it will come back to haunt you later. The more desperate smaller programs seem to be running wild with it, which isn’t going to be smart long term.

It's difficult to recruit guys here right now because (a) there has been a complete reset and (b) players don't care about loyalty anymore, they don't want to hear Pope talking about UK's history.
That's something I'm worried about. I don't think a lot of kids give a **** about the name on the front of the UK jersey. Hopefully, that's not his biggest pitch to recruits.

Dang, Baylor has some cheddar.
He didn't come here for more reasons than just his family not being on board. Baylor has everything the guy needs to succeed and they've already proven that. The honest truth in 2024 is that being at a school like Kentucky gives coach no advantage. Baylor has better facilities than we do (they're literally brand new) and a great NIL program. Any school in the power conferences willing to spend money will win, the playing field is level now.

• Haha
Reactions: MCIGuy and catben
That's something I'm worried about. I don't think a lot of kids give a **** about the name on the front of the UK jersey. Hopefully, that's not his biggest pitch to recruits.
They absolutely don't. A lot of people have been saying it since Cal started here. I understand tons of people were frustrated with Cal, but he didn't really create a culture where kids don't care about the name on the front of the jersey. He just saw the reality that kids didn't and tried to exploit it to get the best players possible.

I have no doubt some here would still be fine with it.They are waiting for guys who play for the front of the jersey even though it's just not 1965 anymore.
Yeah I don’t agree with that strategy either, it’s a mercenary game now. Rent to hire. You can get some guys who play for the pride of the program but most are rent to hire. Jones said he already had half his roster finalized in gonan choose to believe that. Since roach is a no go, they need to go get Shulga from VCU

Reactions: Fox2monk
I like the doomsday (we are going to be horrible for 5 years under Pope) because he does not have a full staff and roster after 5 days on the job. Heck the contract should have said if you do not win your first game within 10 minutes of contract signing you are out of here.

He might not get one single player and UK has to cancel the 2024-25 season. Heck he might be so bad at recruiting that Kentucky can never-ever field a basketball team. Heck Cal was so much better than Pope that we should have given him 15 million a week to stay at UK and win 24 games a year and not care. At least we would have field some mcdonalds kids that oh by the way some are not following him to Arkansas it seems. Oh wait maybe Pope is recruiting guys to BYU because he is so stupid that he forgot he is not coaching at KENTUCKY.

Heck because he is not getting the guys people think are the only way you are going to win there is no use in waiting to see if we can field a team, play basketball or whatever.

Reactions: ukfan041 and catben
Also more players are hitting the portal. Ppl need to wrap their minds around that. There is a ton going down behind the scenes that we have zero knowledge about. Let things play out.

Ppl pissed when cal was here and still pissed off after he’s gone. Zero pleasing with certain trolls I mean posters.

ibp3dxZy2Vys4F.jpg

But I will say pope needs to use this booster money. There is no point in getting it all if you’re not gonna use it. He has to win some bidding wars that’s just the truth
Agree and Pope is going to have to lock up someone quickly for optics at the least. The narrative of “they need to fit” will stale quickly as the top portal players sign to already strong teams.

Reactions: track42
Kentucky is being linked with Davis from FAU more. Pope pay him, if he wants a bag pay him
We just contacted TJ Bamba from nova too …not the big name like Davis but just to back up the point of how many players we are in contact with we really have no idea how serious we are with certain players.

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
We just contacted TJ Bamba from nova too …not the big name like Davis but just to back up the point of how many players we are in contact with we really have no idea how serious we are with certain players.
To me it comes down to the same issue Michigan is having. Do you want one big fish and neglect the supporting cast somewhat, or do you want a team where is a community effort instead of having a star. I want Davis badly here, but if pope gets a bunch of good guys instead of one star I will be good with it as well

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT