ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Coach Suspended After 161-2 Victory

Originally posted by 3rex:
^
Doesn't see the difference between a UK-UCLA matchup & a high school girls game...
There is a difference both are sporting events. In an earlier post, I stated putting in a mercy rule to stop a high school game getting out of hand. Both teams want to win and have to play by rules. I think it was in bad taste to win by 150. MERCY Rule!! I guess you don't really care about the young men who play basketball at UCLA or any other team that plays sports, just teenage girls. Call the nfl, nba, ncaa, start a mercy rule IDK.

You can tell who voted for the guy with the dancing horse and magic underwear in this thread.....................

Anyone involved with high school sports will tell you this was the right call.

Originally posted by BlueTick2:
Originally posted by Prime MF:

Originally posted by AlbanyWildCat:

Originally posted by CatsFan4Evr.:
The further pussification of America.
What does one learn from beating up on the weak?
What is that coach supposed to learn from his suspension?
Sportsmanship maybe?
FTMFW, baby!
happy0030.r191677.gif

I always get a kick out of people being super competitive on the lower levels. To beat a team 161-2. what in the world did you win?

It reminds me of some goats who were battling over supremacy of a large pile of manure at a farm located next to my property. One would stand at the top and others would run up the side of the pile and lock heads in a battle. The loser would retreat and the winner would keep the top spot in the barnyard.

After an hour or so, the champ stood proudly at the top of the heap. He was truly king of the pile of.....

Congrats to this team and their coach. They are the champs over a team that isn't very good. Everyone in Murica needs to be proud of what they accomplished!

What exactly are you supposed to do when your subs are still totally dominant over another team? Preacher, all sports are temporary battles of King of the hill. They don't really matter, but they can prepare you for life. Let me know when life calls off the dogs just because things are going terribly for someone. It seems to me that folks should be mad at Chung who must be clueless about basketball. Get a real coach.

What kind of insecure A personality feels compelled to bring politics on a sports message board.

Only in our liberalized Bizzaro World would anyone think it's OK to SUSPEND a coach for winning by too large a margin. Idiocy.

Originally posted by wildcatwelder:

Only in our liberalized Bizzaro World would anyone think it's OK to SUSPEND a coach for winning by too large a margin. Idiocy.
It's high school girls basketball, bud. It's not like he beat them by some relatively understandable margin -30, 40, 50 points...

159 freakin points.

I'm as far from liberal in my views as you will find.

If you don't see a difference in "winning by too large a margin," and winning 161-2, then I can't help you.

Coach should have been suspended for pressing an entire half. When a team is so obviously well beyond overmatched after half a quarter a coach should have the class to call off the press and start dribbling out the shot clock on possessions. He still may have gotten suspended because the score still would have heavily lopsided, but at least he would have had a legitimate argument he did all he could to prevent a historic beatdown.

I could play the game alone and score more than 2 points..

Congratulations...that's impressive...I assume you are a 15 year old girl?

This post was edited on 1/18 4:31 PM by 3rex

I don't know if it warranted suspension but running up a score like that is completely low class. You get up say 60-2, show some class and just stop shooting. No point in embarrassing further a bunch of teen aged girls.

I would be embarrassed even more if I was the losing team if they just held the ball and ran the shot clock every possession. I dunno, maybe I think it's pathetic to want my foe to ease up on me. Basically like hey your so terrible we just aren't going to waste energy anymore.

A suspension is hilarious..."hey guys they're too good. He took his starters out after half and ran the shot clock down ever possession, he even told the opposing coach before the game." "Really, well bless their hearts, we are all special..he needs to be told we are about lollipops, and butterflies, and utopia, suspend him"

Originally posted by UKBrassowTipIN:
I would be embarrassed even more if I was the losing team if they just held the ball and ran the shot clock every possession. I dunno, maybe I think it's pathetic to want my foe to ease up on me. Basically like hey your so terrible we just aren't going to waste energy anymore.

A suspension is hilarious..."hey guys they're too good. He took his starters out after half and ran the shot clock down ever possession, he even told the opposing coach before the game." "Really, well bless their hearts, we are all special..he needs to be told we are about lollipops, and butterflies, and utopia, suspend him"
Actually, using the logic of many in this thread, a suspension is good for him. It will make him tougher and stronger.

Originally posted by 3rex:
I'm as far from liberal in my views as you will find.

If you don't see a difference in "winning by too large a margin," and winning 161-2, then I can't help you.
Same here, 3Rex. The funny thing is that in the organization I was part of for 25 years, I was always considered by some to be a "conservative troublemaker." I once went to a meeting and took along a copy of the Wall Street Journal to read during the break. Someone ripped into to me for reading that conservative piece of garbage.
laugh.r191677.gif

People,had a problem with grinnell and Jack,Taylor,scoring 138 and 109 points too.

I wonder why the losing coach didn't just forfeit the game at half-time. Why put his girls through that lunacy? For a "never quit" mantra probably......

That dominant group of girls would get beat by 150 points by a group of average high school boys pressing for 20 minutes. But we wouldn't let a group of guys humiliate a group of undersized, underpowered women. That's why boys and girls play in different leagues. Sounds like these two teams should do the same.

This post was edited on 1/18 5:23 PM by beamer_at_uk

Suspending him is stupid, but pressing up 50 or more is unnecessary and unjustifiable. If you're that much better, there's no need to humiliate the other team. If we were pressing Missouri with ten minutes left in the game, I would have been really embarrassed.

Originally posted by beamer_at_uk:
That dominant group of girls would get beat by 150 points by a group of average high school boys pressing for 20 minutes. But we wouldn't let a group of guys humiliate a group of undersized, underpowered women. That's why boys and girls play in different leagues. Sounds like these two teams should do the same.

This post was edited on 1/18 5:23 PM by beamer_at_uk
You raise a good point. Why do we separate the genders? The girls should compete on the same level as the boys. If they get the snot beat out of them, it will make them tougher and better able to compete in the real world when they are adults. Why coddle them and give them a "league for girls?" Nobody is going to protect them from the big ol mean boys in the workplace!!!

Typical politically correct society BS. There is a segment of our culture that is the weakest link.

Originally posted by MakinMusic:
Typical politically correct society BS. There is a segment of our culture that is the weakest link.
Man. And I thought I was the conservative jerk. Yall make me look like Pelosi.

A couple of years ago I was coaching a girls team, and 4 minutes in we were ahead 28 - 0. We stopped pressing, dropped back into a zone, and let the clock wind down to under 5 seconds before we would shot. We were ahead 48 - 6 at halftime. We had three girls on our team that had not scored during the season. The second half they were the only three who took shots. We played defense in a zone. We won 56 to 14. Two of the girls who shot the second half scored - one scored 6 and the other 6. The other was just thrilled to get shots off.

The parents for the other team were cheering like crazy, and the girls on that team finished the game with smiles.

No reason to beat the snot out of another team just because you can. Show some sportsmanship.

I'm not in agreement with what the winning coach did. I'm in complete disagreement with his being suspended. If he wants people to remember him as "that coach" or "that guy" then so be it. It's his decision, not some education administration.

I will say it is walking a fine line with the mentality of those who believe everyone gets a trophy and we shouldn't keep score.

Originally posted by MakinMusic:
I'm not in agreement with what the winning coach did. I'm in complete disagreement with his being suspended. If he wants people to remember him as "that coach" or "that guy" then so be it. It's his decision, not some education administration.

I will say it is walking a fine line with the mentality of those who believe everyone gets a trophy and we shouldn't keep score.
Gonna go ahead and say that a 159 point win isn't that fine of a line. Go ahead and beat the heck out of em. 70 point win, great job coach. But maybe, just maybe, when you get to 100 points ahead and the other team hasn't score a single field goal, maybe ease up a little more than "HE PUT IN THE SUBS!!!!1!!!!" and "BUT HE TOLD THE OTHER COACH BEFOREHAND THAT HE WAS GOING TO PRESS SO THAT MAKES IT OKAY!!!!1!!1!!!"

Originally posted by Roundballaddict:

It's high school girls basketball, bud. It's not like he beat them by some relatively understandable margin -30, 40, 50 points...

159 freakin points.
If the other team didn't like it they were free to forfeit the game, no?

I'm not saying I'd run up the score but I'd also never, ever punish a coach for having his team play hard for an entire game. That notion is absurd.

Originally posted by Seth C:

Originally posted by Roundballaddict:

159 freakin points.
If the other team didn't like it they were free to forfeit the game, no?

I'm not saying I'd run up the score but I'd also never, ever punish a coach for having his team play hard for an entire game. That notion is absurd.
Saying that shows you don't really understand the point people are making. This is a high school girls basketball game. Of course its a competition and you want to instill important lessons like trying your hardest and giving great effort. But other lessons you might want to instill are humility and good sportsmanship, and that even when you're losing badly, theres something to be said for giving your best effort. Taking pride in your effort despite adversity is a good lesson, too. Forfeiting doesn't accomplish that. Again, high school girls basketball game.

The coach is a school employee. He showed a lack of grace and respect for other students, and that reflects on the school. The school in turn handed down a legitimate punishment. He wasn't punished for having his team play hard the whole game, its absurd to characterize it as that.

This post was edited on 1/18 6:06 PM by Roundballaddict

Some of these small teams barely have enough students to put a team together. I would guess there is pressure on the few students there to participate, even if they don't really want to. There's no reason to rub their nose in the dirt for doing something they may not even have wanted to do in the first place.

I'm all for doing our best and letting the chips fall where they may, but there is a point where further scoring serves no purpose whatsoever. This is one of those times. It's okay to beat a team, and beat them badly, but why break their spirit? It's called sportsmanship, and it's why football teams keep it on the ground and run inside plays when they have a big lead... to run down the clock to mercifully end the game. It's why they take a knee or two even if they could obviously score again.

Sure, beat them...beat them soundly, and let them know who's the better team. I love it when UK does this. But in the end, also show that you can win with class and dignity. We were human beings before we were athletes, and we will be human beings afterwards.

shouldn't be suspended.

should have started the end of his bench and given them the majority of the minutes. They practice hard and probably don't get much pt, so use this as an opportunity to give it to them. They probably still win by 90. No way in hell he didn't know before the game that he was going to destroy this team.

Originally posted by preacherfan:
It sure sounds like the winning coach is a jerk:

"The game just got away from me," Anderson told the San Bernardino Sun Friday. "I didn't play any starters in the second half. I didn't expect them to be that bad. I'm not trying to embarrass anybody."

Seriously, it isn't THAT hard to take a game like this and use it to work on other aspects of the game. It isn't easy to score 161 points! They had to be trying to score and run it up.
I am not one of these participation guys but I agree about the coach being a jerk. It doesn't help a high schooler work on his interior defense by blocking every shot his grade school brother takes. It should have been very obvious to the winning coach that his team wasn't going to improve their press on that team and 1 quarter should have been enough. Also just don't keep score after halftime. Not sure I agree with suspending the guy, I would much prefer the coaches of teams better than his handle it by throttling his team and attempting to run up the score on him. We were up on a school in jr high 27-0 and we didn't keep score after halftime. It really sucked for me because I had scored 6pts the and was hot from outside. I was deadly fom 12ft which since was downtown to a kid that was supposed to be in 6th grade(went from 5th to 7th)

FTR, I didnt vote for Obama either.

How can a team be so bad where they cannot score a single field goal? I understand that the talent gap between the best players and the worst players are much greater in Girls/Womens basketball, than in boys/mens basketball. I remember playing JV, and we played against the varsity in HS; we got killed, but we scored more than two points (three of the varsity players went on to play college; we lost 110-69)! I don't think that our team would have lost by 150+ points to any high school team in the country. I don't see the purpose in pressing a team who is absolutely terrible. I looked at their schedules, and one team is losing by about 60 ppg, and the other is winning by about 70 points per game. The sad thing is, the team who won 161-2 would lose to an average boys team by 100+. They would lose to the top Girls teams by a bunch too.

Preacher, I'm still waiting on you to explain what the coach should have done. In the mean time, an article about embarrassing your opponent.

Read this

When it comes to sports, common decency gets thrown out the window these days. I played competitive sports all through high school. I don't believe in that everyone getting a ribbon nonsense. I do believe in sportsmanship, though. This coach didn't display any decency or sportsmanship. I don't think he should have been suspended, though. He did his job of coaching his own team. He can't be responsible for how the other team plays or how the other coach, coaches.

Originally posted by BigBlueFanGA:
Preacher, I'm still waiting on you to explain what the coach should have done. In the mean time, an article about embarrassing your opponent.
Read Smyrna_Cat post from above.

Quit being so dense.

Originally posted by BigBlueFanGA:
Actually, I thought of Randle and his mother when I saw this thread. My only comment in relation to that situation is to say that it apparently worked in that case but I don't think his mom should be writing parenting books for other parents!
wink.r191677.gif

As for what he should have done, it is hard to say not having seen the game and the aricle gave few details. I can venture a few ideas....for example, why not set up plays for the worse shooter on the team? The team could do some rebounding drills, etc.

Bottomline is that the coach could use some creativity to make the game at least beneficial to even his own team.

I simply see NO benefit to just crushing a team by that margin.

ADVERTISEMENT