ADVERTISEMENT

Basketball Coach Suspended After 161-2 Victory

The other coach should be suspended also IMO. 2 points??
flush.r191677.gif

They suspended the wrong coach...

Why is the winning coach responsible for babysitting other coach who's not trying as hard?

This is absolutely stupid shit about our society. He didn't even play his starters in second half.

SMH...

I just knew before I even opened up the link I knew it would be a girls basketball game. Other than pressing the entire first half, it sounded like he called off the dogs in the 2nd half playing just the bench. Kind of pointless to be pressing a team after you get up by 20 plus in girls basketball esp with a bad team. They already had lost a game by 91. The coach sounds like a jerk with his "I didn't know they would be that bad " comment but I think a 2 game suspension is a little harsh. Sounds like they are trying to set a precedent.

The 2 points came from 1 free throw in the 1st half, and 1 in the second. lol

If you can't hang, don't schedule the game. I think it would be more embarrassing having the other team dribble it out for 3/4 if the game or just stand around and let the weaker team score.

Hopefully this makes them try a little harder next time

Originally posted by AlbanyWildCat:

Originally posted by CatsFan4Evr.:
The further pussification of America.
What does one learn from beating up on the weak?
What does one learn from patting everyone on their head telling them they are good? Not everyone is good. The coach benched his starters at half and ran the shot clock down , yrs they have shot clocks there. What are they supposed to do, just come down and hold it until the clock expires every time?

When you're up 20 in less than half a quarter of pressing you know the other team sucks and you drop back. Winning by "c" amount doesn't warrant suspension, but the coach was a dick to keep it up for as long as he did...period.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Who says one is supposed to learn something in you are the stronger team? It is competition. Their job is to play as well as they can when on the court. Off the court is another matter. Hell, to me it is far more embarrassing to have a team stop playing hard against me because they feel sorry for me. And if you are looking for a lesson, there is still an important one for the losing team. Life is hard and sometimes really not fair, but that doesn't mean you quit and you shouldn't expect someone else to do the same.

Originally posted by UPSCat4080:
When you're up 20 in less than half a quarter of pressing you know the other team sucks and you drop back. Winning by "c" amount doesn't warrant suspension, but the coach was a dick to keep it up for as long as he did...period.
This...why people cannot understand this is beyond me.

Chung said people shouldn't feel sorry for his team but I disagree. 104-1 at halftime. Ha.

These kind of issues always tend to put people into one of two camps. But I'm kind of half in one camp and half in the other. I don't want to go in the direction of everybody gets a participation trophy, like little league baseball or anything, but I also think it's ridiculous to run up a score that much. It's like the Spurs playing a high school team.

The coach didn't play his starters in the second half, but what was the point in pressing the entire first half? Did his players really learn anything by forcing a team that was not even close to their level into turnover after turnvover? IMO, best thing in that situation would have been to drain the clock as much as possible on each possession after it was clearly over.

Sort of on a related note, I heard a story about a girls team that had lost like 84 games in a row when they found themselves up by 1 at halftime. In the second half, all of their players started fouling out, and they had to finish the game with 3 players. However, despite not scoring any baskets when they were down to 3 players, they still ended up winning their first game. Pretty inspirational story.

This post was edited on 1/18 1:17 PM by SilentsAreGolden

Any team that can get beat that bad is eithernin the wrong league or should just give up the sport.

Maybe coach cal should be suspended for beating Missouri by 49? Maybe we should have played our 3rd 5 the entire 2nd half?

Wasnt FSU football rediculed by not winning their games by enough points, and thus almost missed the playoff?

Originally posted by Prime MF:

What is that coach supposed to learn from his suspension?
Im just gonna take a wild stab at it and say maybe the lesson is "once you're up by 100, probably call the dogs off."

Originally posted by Seth C:

What does one learn by playing against a team that is taking it easy on you?

It goes both ways.
That might be the case if a team beats you by 50 -- you learn about your weaknesses. But losing by over 100? That teaches you more about the other team and only serves to demoralize.

Originally posted by CatInKansas:

Originally posted by Seth C:

What does one learn by playing against a team that is taking it easy on you?

It goes both ways.
That might be the case if a team beats you by 50 -- you learn about your weaknesses. But losing by over 100? That teaches you more about the other team and only serves to demoralize.
No, teaches you maybe basketball isn't your thing. Starters didn't play after half..they ran the shot clock down each possession, and the coach told the other coach he was going to press before the game bc he wanted to prepare them for district. I mean did you want them to just run the shot clock out every play...sounds embarrassing. Get better or quit.

I can't handle this far from reality bs. Everyone is good zed it's ok. They don't even keep score in Tee ball anymore for whatever reason...and kids think that's fun? Why even try to get someone out?

Originally posted by UPSCat4080:
This...why people cannot understand this is beyond me.
I simply don't believe in stopping what you do just to protect the other team. This game should never have happened, but it did and the strong team has a right to play their game. If you dont play your best, by design, all you are doing is mocking the other team. I'd rather be beaten 200-0 than to have the other team quit playing because I'm too weak or bad. This continuing wussification of our kids is going to bite us in the butt one day. Life can be hard and unfair, learn to deal with it.

So the winning coach has to sit out the next two games, huh?

Does anybody really care?

I mean, other than the media who are always looking to pick a fight where there is none...and maybe the handful of aging feminists at home on a Saturday night with their cat

Okay, so a score of 162-2 embarrasses the women's/girls' game and exposes it for the weak, anorchid, clumsy, artless game that it is; and the chowderheads who coach it at this level (usually without compensation) as egotistical, unsportsmanlike turds

And that in turn threatens the stream of revenue (money, dollars, moolah) that runs into the school and school district and into the referees' pockets and the uniform-makers and equipment-makers' pockets and at the highest level into the TV networks' profits

It's just capitalism, is all...nothing about it means squat athletically or competitively. It's all about the Benjamins.

I'll give you some examples of how the womens'/girls' game is no better than televised tiddly-winks, save for the almighty dollar:

For how many years have been told soccer is the world's sport? How many TV networks have tried to push hockey down our throats? And don't forget about beach volleyball!

Womens'/girls' basketball is a wretched and woeful mockery of a great game and there's nothing that more estrogen-driven fury can do about that...except interfere with real competition and coaching competence and try to suppress it

Why bother keeping score or even playing the game? America is SO politically correct now a days. The losing team will be ok. They now know Basketball might not be there thing. Different gifts for different people. I have a hard time for a coach telling his kids to go in and not score or compete. If a mercy rule is needed to save greater embarrassment, then do that. America is supposed to be a place where if you work at something and are damn good at it, you should be rewarded for it. In my lifetime, I have seen several pro teams get destroyed. Are they damaged? I be willing to bet you that a majority of the pros have been on teams at some point in there life that have also been crushed. No one is perfect but sometimes a good beat down helps build character or force one to strive harder.

Originally posted by UKBrassowTipIN:

No, teaches you maybe basketball isn't your thing. Starters didn't play after half..they ran the shot clock down each possession, and the coach told the other coach he was going to press before the game bc he wanted to prepare them for district. I mean did you want them to just run the shot clock out every play...sounds embarrassing. Get better or quit.

I can't handle this far from reality bs. Everyone is good zed it's ok. They don't even keep score in Tee ball anymore for whatever reason...and kids think that's fun? Why even try to get someone out?
Can we stop acting like taking the starters out meant the coach let up? Regardless of whether you think he should have let up or shouldn't have, bringing in the subs very, very obviously was not calling the dogs off.

The half time score was 104-1. The final was 161-2. That means they still outscored the other team 57-1 in the second half. Make your argument for why that's ok, but it's ridiculous to try and act like he let up.

It sure sounds like the winning coach is a jerk:

"The game just got away from me," Anderson told the San Bernardino Sun Friday. "I didn't play any starters in the second half. I didn't expect them to be that bad. I'm not trying to embarrass anybody."

Seriously, it isn't THAT hard to take a game like this and use it to work on other aspects of the game. It isn't easy to score 161 points! They had to be trying to score and run it up.

You're right, it is the pussification of America!! I would vote for the next presidential candidate that says:
1. We're going to blow the head's off of any terrorists groups that stick there heads out of the hole!
2. America is going to drill our own oil, create jobs and we are going to bankrupt terrorism!
3. Congress will not only be on a budget and we are going to lower tax rates!
4. Any coach can run up the score as much as they want! Lol!

Society has winners & losers. That's truth...but,

High school sports involves sportsmanship. No reason to pour it on an opponent like that.

As someone above states, the suspension was warranted.

Originally posted by 3rex:
Society has winners & losers. That's truth...but,

High school sports involves sportsmanship. No reason to pour it on an opponent like that.

As someone above states, the suspension was warranted.
Did anyone on Rupp Rafters call for Cal to get fired or suspended or whatever after beating UCLA by 40 on national TV? Come on people this is just a game. One game does not define a person whether they won or lost.

This post was edited on 1/18 2:16 PM by reignof cats

^
Doesn't see the difference between a UK-UCLA matchup & a high school girls game...

ADVERTISEMENT