ADVERTISEMENT

Based On History, UK Can Lose 4 Games (Total) And Be A 1 Seed (Should be Our Goal Yearly)

dlh331

All-SEC
Gold Member
Jan 4, 2003
The AP ranking on selection Sunday appears to be the main factor in determining our seed(s) yearly. Here are the #1 seeds in UK past and their AP ranking/season record on Selection Sunday:

1980 AP#2, 28-5
1984 AP#3, 26-4
1986 AP#3, 29-3
1993 AP#4, 26-3
1995 AP#3, 25-4
1996 AP#1, 28-2
1997 AP#6, 30-4
2003 AP#2, 29-3
2004 AP#8, 26-4
2010 AP#2, 32-2
2012 AP#1, 32-2
2015 AP#1, 34-0

For #2 Seeds, our losses were 5, 5, 6, 4, 9, 5, 5, 6 with AP rankings 4-9

For #3 seeds, our losses were 7, 6, 8

For #4 seeds, our losses were 9, 8, 8

For #5 seeds, our losses were 9, 10

An again, in the 20 years we were #1 or #2 seeds, we made 15 Elite 8s, 7 Final 4s, 4 title games and 3 national championships.

And playing #9 Duke on a neutral court the 1st game of the season and losing by but 8 pts will easily be our 2nd toughest game of the yr next to at #3 Kansas.

Id say UK is in good shape, especially if we add Sharpe.

And playing #9 Duke on a neutral court the 1st game of the season and losing by but 8 pts will easily be our 2nd toughest game of the yr next to at #3 Kansas.

Id say UK is in good shape, especially if we add Sharpe.
I do too. I think we are 12-1 after beating High Point on New Year's Eve. I am not giving up on a 27-4 or 26-5 regular season.

Man DLH thats pretty optimistic .. But college hoops is pretty watered down . If Fredrick comes on strong I guess its possible

Uk isn't good enough to have a goal of a 1 seed every season and that predates calipari. It's not a realistic goal anyways. Anyone can have goals.

SEC does look good this year. Which means if we take care of business like Kentucky SHOULD, then earning that 1 seed should be a given. Some years you worry about the strength of the conference. Running train on the SEC this year will actually count for something. Excited to see some quality basketball games. Used to be the OOC was all we had. Now the script has flipped.

Reactions: Ron Mehico
I do too. I think we are 12-1 after beating High Point on New Year's Eve. I am not giving up on a 27-4 or 26-5 regular season.
same. i’m not giving up. i’m just skeptical after watching two exhibitions and the duke game. but more basketball has to be played to make a sound judgement/prediction on how i think the season is going to play out.

there were some good and bad signs tuesday night.

Uk isn't good enough to have a goal of a 1 seed every season and that predates calipari. It's not a realistic goal anyways. Anyone can have goals.

hes not saying he expects it every season. but it should be the goal at the beginning of every season. your title odds drastically decrease if you’re not a 1 seed. they’re not great even as a 1 seed. but you go from like a 20% chance as a 1 seed to about a 3% chance as a 2.

Why would the supposedly "Greatest College Basketball Program" of all time NOT have the goal of a #1 each and every year? I mean, either we are or we aren't.
Sure, injuries can throw a wrench into things from time to time but, the GOAT should at least be in contention every year, right?

Reactions: ruppcat
This guy and the dudes that like his posts are trolls, right? Right?

They will not be 12-1. Cal will finish this season with 10-14 losses.

Screenshot this post and we’ll come back to it. And then you can acknowledge how out of touch you and the others are.

Reactions: Fox2monk

Screenshot this post and we’ll come back to it. And then you can acknowledge how out of touch you and the others are.

How bout I screen shot this garbage you just posted Einstein?

I wont because I have more important things to do with my life.

I don’t understand why y

I don’t understand why youre mad that Kentucky fans are optimistic about their team? I mean seriously, why is that a negative? Did he just say Louisville is going to be a badass team this year? He’s being supportive of the team, this is a UK fan board.

Reactions: CatEye2010
Bringing this back up as the NCAAT draws nearer. Remember, the number posted in the OP are the totals on Sunday afternoon when the Selection Committee is ready to seed teams (each year)

We currently have 4 losses; win out (a very tall order) and we certainly are in the conversation for a 1 seed. The most likely scenario is we get a 2 seed.

It's even more difficult this year.

Gonzaga is gifted a 1 seed with their conference schedule.

Auburn has a very easy remaining SEC schedule.

1 of Baylor and Kansas will likely take one.

1 of Arizona and UCLA will likely take one.

Duke and Houston are coming from weak conferences and may win out and would be ahead of a 5-loss UK team.

While 3 teams in the B10 are top 10 caliber in MSU, Purdue, and Wisconsin and one of them may separate from the pack.

That was a tough ask in this years SEC, let alone the entire season. Actually I don’t think there’s a team in the entire nation that could do that, Auburn included. They’ll end up with 5 or so losses, as would any top tier team by the time the tourney starts

We can very well be a 9-10 loss team by the time the NCAAT starts. I don’t think we will but it’s possible. Four losses now with games against UT, Bama (2), LSU, Arkansas, Kansas, etc., and then the SECT. That’s a tough remaining schedule.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT