ADVERTISEMENT

Barnhart on KSR at 1130

L30rO5B.png

Actually get 100% what Mitch was saying about the facility and this was probably an issue that was overblown.

Reactions: STL_Cat
Those thinking that Cal is gonna be gone at midseason are gonna be disappointed. We've got at least one more year of this unless he flat out walks away.

Jones said he didn't ask about NIL and Alcohol at games cause he felt the team/Cal/facility/relationship issues were more important for the time frame he had to ask questions today. Basically all the Tucker article stuff.
Yes, he said they would do another interview in a month to discuss those things.

Reactions: Mulder14
Jones said he didn't ask about NIL and Alcohol at games cause he felt the team/Cal/facility/relationship issues were more important for the time frame he had to ask questions today. Basically all the Tucker article stuff.

Also said Mitch has agreed to come on in about a month to address the nil/alcohol stuff. Just didn't have time today.

My biggest takeaway was Mitch said, much more nicely, that Kyle Tucker is full of shit.

I agree with Jones there. They had 20 minutes, I wanted them to spend every second on it discussing exactly what they discussed.

Man, even after Tuesday you are ALL IN on your hero Cal. Incredible. What would it take?

I didn't take any of that as full support. He was respectful, that's about it.
I’m all in until I feel comfortable Mitch wouldn’t hire someone like Holtman.
I’m all in as long as Cal has Edwards, Dillingham, Wagner, Bradshaw and Sheppard locked up for next year. You guys can blast me all you want with the “Cal nut hugger” stuff and “the class won’t matter as long as Cal is the coach” stuff all you want. I want to see that class next year.

I’m all in as long as Cal has Edwards, Dillingham, Wagner, Bradshaw and Sheppard locked up for next year. You guys can blast me all you want with the “Cal nut hugger” stuff and “the class won’t matter as long as Cal is the coach” stuff all you want. I want to see that class next year.
Well as long as you keep showing your posterior by taunting fellow fans, you’ll keep getting blasted every time we experience yet another embarrassing loss.

But what about volunteer assistant coaches? Won’t someone think of them?!

And I'm done with the "just wait until next recruiting class!" jargon. It's not working.

Agree to disagree I guess, just glad you are in the minority at this point.

Would have a lot more respect for Jones if the questions were:

Do you agree with wheeler playing 40mpg?

Do you agree with at least 2, most times 3 big men on the floor at all times?

Do you agree with stall ball?

Do you agree with never playing zone and never pressing?

Do you agree with dribbling for 27 seconds with no movement and throwing up a prayer?

This bozo ain’t fixing shit. He gone.

I am not a fan but toally agree with Jones.

Well as long as you keep showing your posterior by taunting fellow fans, you’ll keep getting blasted every time we experience yet another embarrassing loss.
I literally just said I don’t care what you call me or if you blast me. My stance stands. Even if I am in the minority (on this board)

What I liked about the interview is I could tell from Mitch’s tone of voice and the fact that he mentioned emails that he’s feeling some serious fire from this situation as well.

That some of the people disappointed in Calipari’s performance have began to pass blame up to the man that made him unfireable and began to call for his head as well.

Do you agree with dribbling for 27 seconds with no movement and throwing up a prayer?

He did, just much more tactfully.
Mitch's answer was he doesn't micromanage. He lets the coaches run their programs as a CEO of sorts because they know more about it than he does.

I am on the other side of this one. I think MB HAS to address the Kyle Tucker reports that Cal had funding for a practice facility and Mitch said no. I think MB has to address the fact that Cal wanted to increase his staff to add an "OC" and a "DC" but Mitch said no. I think he has to address that Cal wanted to immediately apologize to Stoops and Mitch said no. So I think Mitch is on the defensive. And I also think he needs to go. His stances on so many things are getting the entire program behind the times.
never heard these things before now

He answered these questions when he said he doesn't micro manage his coaches. A good athletic director doesn't get involved in the day to day, and no coach wants that either.

I kinda get saying no to the OC and DC thing. Like…we are paying you 9m a year…what do you do exactly?

This isn’t football where you have a 150man roster and the units are two separate units with a 1000 intricacies. You coach about 10 guys. And the same 8 man rotation plays both sides of the ball. He also has multiple other bench spots…if he wants to bring in a good young offensive mind then fire one of your old buddies. That’s just Cal tying to be “innovative” and “trend setter” and get credit for changing the game.

Now if the rest is true…I agree. Let Cal build the facility and let us get something back from all the players that used the school for 1 year and the $9m coach …build that public relationship. And Cal definitely should have made a legit public apology and explained that it wasn’t an either or but that he was saying ppl care about basketball here more than any other program out there and he duly supports Stoops and what the football team is doing on the national stage etc or something along those lines. Mitch telling him to keep his mouth shut just made it worse and drag out
Yep If a $9 million coach needs additional help on offense or defense he doest need to be there

no AD is going to go public with a no confidence statement in the middle of the season unless he is prepared to fire the guy tomorrow.
Exactly. He said exactly what he should say. He's seen Calipari turn teams around and finish strong before and he has confidence that he can do it again this year. There's no reason for him to say it any other way at this point.

it may have been summarized already but what did Barnhart say about saying no to the GM and OC Cal wanted to hire?

it may have been summarized already but what did Barnhart say about saying no to the GM and OC Cal wanted to hire?
That was the only one he KIND of danced around, but I don't blame him. Because it is pretty silly for a HC that you're already paying $9 million a year to need MORE X's and Os help. He said he always gives his full support to all programs, basketball and football alike, to have the support staff they need.

Cal always wants something. He has a half a dozen coaches sitting over there. Doesn’t matter what any of them think. He still won’t play a zone if it helps us win, and he still won’t give all players the same opportunities. Thus, we are where we are.

This, from Tucker, was clearly an attempted distraction by Cal. Tucker was either deceived by Cal or is voluntarily being nothing but a voice for Cal. Either way, this is a black eye for Tucker.
Yep Cal stirring drama and deflecting blame for his current coaching performance. Cal needs to cut the drama and crybaby antics and get to work.

I don’t have any problems with Mitch’s general approach to what he said today.

My problem is in the specifics:

He said he is supporting his guys to get through the tough times because that what he has always done and they have always gotten through it.

“Always” is a big problem here.

In reality we have “Never” hit a patch this long and this rough, in terns of tournament win droughts combined with poor performance against Top 25 teams. “Never,” not under Billy Clyde and not under Tubby and not under Pitino and not under Eddie Sutton and not under Joe B. Hall even when he was green.

Rupp himself was before my time and he is in a separate category from everyone else whether he struggled or not, for two reasons:

1—The man won four freaking titles all by himself. If any other of our coaches had done that then we’d be tied with UCLA or even ahead of them depending on who did it, and our current situation simply would not be precipitous because we could suck for another six years and no one besides Mick Cronin would have a possibility of catching us even then.

2—Rupp built us himself and no one impressive came before him. He didn’t have the option every coach after Hall has had, telling recruits “they had it before me and they’ll have it after me: play for Kentucky and you’ll forever be part of an unstoppable tradition past and future.”

Mitch’s “Always” really bothers me when it’s coming in a place where the truth is not really “Always” but “Never.”

I’d like to be able to get behind Mitch. I don’t quit when things get rough in my own life and I’ve never felt like I wanted to stop supporting someone just because they face adversity. I’m a freaking conservative white male anglo-saxon Christian who believes Noah’s flood was global and Adam was a real person. I know all about adversity.

But facing adversity is different than being the adversity, as it’s getting hard not to say Cal is in terms of some critical particulars like not breaking down tape and playing all-eggs-one-basket defense *after those things have blocked our path to greatness for years at a time.

And I could get behind Mitch if he’d say something like “I’ve always supported my guys through the tough times and they’ve always gotten through it, so I’m supporting them now even though they’ve never come through anything this tough before.”

Honesty goes a long way. I don’t mind supporting an underdog. Everyone loves an underdog, in fact. But being an underdog is all about having the internal fortitude to do the real gut checks, and about facing desperate odds with desperate dedication to do everything in your power to overcome them. That I can support through a 1—32 season. Try me. But it’s gotta be a real underdog I’m supporting. To put someone in that place who hasn’t earned it with their resolve to try whatever it takes that is noble (in contrast to stubbornness not to do anything differently)—that’s when I become dishonest myself.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT