ADVERTISEMENT

Bama picks up 40 percent 3-point shooter from Wichita State

Had 14 and 10 against Missouri
9 pts 9 boards against K-State

Best game was probably against a great Houston defense. Had 24 points and 3 rebounds

Reactions: JrandoUK
But how high can he jump? Of course, he come to UK and he is either 1. won't be able to hit the 3 late in the season or 2. get hurt. That's the Cal UK blueprint.

Reactions: seccats04
Yeah bama has had so much tournament success we should start replicating them. Best tourney wins since 2006 is beating 2 8 seeds and not going past the sweet 16.

Sure things need improving at Kentucky but y’all need to stop looking at ever other program and being jealous of everything. The whole tournament any team that won everyone wanted to hire their coach, now we want any transfer that goes someone else. Give it a break

Yeah bama has had so much tournament success we should start replicating them. Best tourney wins since 2006 is beating 2 8 seeds and not going past the sweet 16.

Sure things need improving at Kentucky but y’all need to stop looking at ever other program and being jealous of everything. The whole tournament any team that won everyone wanted to hire their coach, now we want any transfer that goes someone else. Give it a break
Well let's see,they kicked our ass this season,won the SEC regular season and tourney titles,was the overall number 1 seed in the dance and at least made it to the sweet 16 before tanking and we did what.................

Bamas plan must work they destroyed uk, won SEC, got #1 seed, and went further than your hero ccc
Oats way ahead of ccc

Meanwhile Calipari sits around knowing GOOD AND WELL what he's doing to the program. Folks, this is going to be a nasty divorce. As vocal as he's been to the media about "basketball bennies" and other comments he's made, and how vocal his family has been toward UK fans, I see him undermining the program upon departure.

He probably picks Bama over KY anyway. We are falling into irrelevant territory. It’s a what have you done lately world. Not hey we used to be really good 10 years ago world.
I used to think I’d hate to be the coach that has to follow Cow when he retires. Now it’s not that big of a deal to live up to.

Bamas plan must work they destroyed uk, won SEC, got #1 seed, and went further than your hero ccc
Oats way ahead of ccc
Who won head to head last year?
The only thing Oats did was sign a generational talent that happened to be a Bama legacy.
No one in the stratosphere of Miller walking through the door next season.
Anyone want to wager on UK/Bama head to head?

Wichita St should did well with all those pure shooters on the court. They were 5 more wins away from getting a tournament bid.

Lord

Yeah. The crying on here is intolerable.

Seriously.

These people immediately got passed at Cal because Vito Tisdale was released from the FOOTBALL team!!

No joke.

Meh, that's not true. I'm sure Jennings will be here to call me a slurper. I just state facts. 5/10 single season 3pt make leaders all time at UK played for Calipari.

The bigger and more fair question is why do these guys miss in pressure situations....tournament games, etc. That may be on Cal.
Yes, fair question. Hard to know why statistically good shooters lay eggs under the brighter lights. Miller was 3-19/1-10 in their loss as a 1st-team AA … was that on Oats ?? Probably not …

Most coaches actually care about if their recruits can shoot or not. Why Pitino has offered Timberlake, who we should have already been on.

We will see if he can do it consistently in the SEC, it might be a little harder with more pressure and better athletes guarding you. We have seen that firsthand with supposedly good 3 point shooters. Also, there may not be enough balls to go around in Tuscaloosa either. We will see how Oats handles being the hunted.

The guard from Delaware right now is one of the top five guys in the portal. After this season, we need five true guards on the roster that can play.

Meh, that's not true. I'm sure Jennings will be here to call me a slurper. I just state facts. 5/10 single season 3pt make leaders all time at UK played for Calipari.

The bigger and more fair question is why do these guys miss in pressure situations....tournament games, etc. That may be on Cal.
There are a lot of MYTHs that I have dispelled recently with Stats/Facts about 3pt shooting under Cal.
I've shown in those other threads that: Reeves was no more streaky this year at UK than he was the year before at Illinois St; that Reeves was not much more streaky than other "good shooters" this year; that under Cal guys don't become worse shooters (the only exception has been Fredrick)
I will admit Cal does not make shooting (3's) as much a priority as most other current coaches/teams, as much as many of us would like.

But the pressure situations, maybe that is on Cal. But I think a more likely answer is that your team, your best players, very likely had a off/bad game in a game you lost, AND almost every team (all but 2) losses their last game. Pick a team not in the F4, and most of them had a bad game by their best player/shooter in their NCAA-T loss (i.e. B.Miller at Bama).

But please don't complain every time a team adds a portal player/shooter. We can't sign EVERY player, there are 1400+, will probably go over 2000 in the portal, Even if you are only interested in the top 5% of them, that will be 100, at most you can add 5% of that top 5%.

Reactions: fatguy87 and Oboro3
There are a lot of MYTHs that I have dispelled recently with Stats/Facts about 3pt shooting under Cal.
I've shown in those other threads that: Reeves was no more streaky this year at UK than he was the year before at Illinois St; that Reeves was not much more streaky than other "good shooters" this year; that under Cal guys don't become worse shooters (the only exception has been Fredrick)
I will admit Cal does not make shooting (3's) as much a priority as most other current coaches/teams, as much as many of us would like.

But the pressure situations, maybe that is on Cal. But I think a more likely answer is that your team, your best players, very likely had a off/bad game in a game you lost, AND almost every team (all but 2) losses their last game. Pick a team not in the F4, and most of them had a bad game by their best player/shooter in their NCAA-T loss (i.e. B.Miller at Bama).

My contention with Oats is he literally shoots his teams out of games.

Season ending losses for Oats coached teams in NCAAT...

It just is not a winning formula.

3PT FG

-Buffalo-
10/26- 2016
7/31- 2018
9/27- 2019
(26/84, 31%)

-Bama-
7/28- 2021
8/25- 2022
3/27- 2023
(18/80, 23%)

-Total-
44/164, 27%

My contention with Oats is he literally shoots his teams out of games.

Season ending losses for Oats coached teams in NCAAT...

It just is not a winning formula.

3PT FG

-Buffalo-
10/26- 2016
7/31- 2018
9/27- 2019
(26/84, 31%)

-Bama-
7/28- 2021
8/25- 2022
3/27- 2023
(18/80, 23%)

-Total-
44/164, 27%
You hear about teams using analytics, which is basically statistically summarizing data in a variety of ways. (BTW, I am a Statistician). Baseball has taken that to a much higher level than basketball, to where guys know in certain pitch counts, what % a certain pitch will be thrown by that pitcher (ect...). I think basketball (UK) should do that too.
For example, as I showed last week, in about 1/3 of the games Reeves (same for B.Miller) shot <20% from 3, but in about 2/3 of the games Reeves shot 50% from 3. So after say an 0-4 start (or whatever the analytics say is the determining factor) bench a guy for the rest of the game, or tell him "no more 3's".
And UK has a Statistics Department, one which could assist with that (Graduate students on TA's who do consulting work for the University). So it would literally cost nothing.

I think in years past, shooters would either start out with a mid-range shot or go to that quickly if they missed their first couple 3's; to get that feel of making a shot. Now it just seems they keep shooting the same shot over and over thinking they will eventually make it, when what they are doing is just embedding that bad shooting stroke into their muscle memory for the game.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
You hear about teams using analytics, which is basically statistically summarizing data in a variety of ways. (BTW, I am a Statistician). Baseball has taken that to a much higher level than basketball, to where guys know in certain pitch counts, what % a certain pitch will be thrown by that pitcher (ect...). I think basketball (UK) should do that too.
For example, as I showed last week, in about 1/3 of the games Reeves (same for B.Miller) shot <20% from 3, but in about 2/3 of the games Reeves shot 50% from 3. So after say an 0-4 start (or whatever the analytics say is the determining factor) bench a guy for the rest of the game, or tell him "no more 3's".
And UK has a Statistics Department, one which could assist with that (Graduate students on TA's who do consulting work for the University). So it would literally cost nothing.

I think in years past, shooters would either start out with a mid-range shot or go to that quickly if they missed their first couple 3's; to get that feel of making a shot. Now it just seems they keep shooting the same shot over and over thinking they will eventually make it, when what they are doing is just embedding that bad shooting stroke into their muscle memory for the game.

Last paragraph describes Larry Bird warmup method in reverse. He used to talk about how guys have a tendency to grab a ball and go to 3pt line to warm up.

He would shoot layups, then 5, 10, 15, 20 footers in sequence as he got comfortable.

You made great points. Reeves in particular...he had a couple early rim out and then just tanked. Tough way to close year.

Last paragraph describes Larry Bird warmup method in reverse. He used to talk about how guys have a tendency to grab a ball and go to 3pt line to warm up.

He would shoot layups, then 5, 10, 15, 20 footers in sequence as he got comfortable.

You made great points. Reeves in particular...he had a couple early rim out and then just tanked. Tough way to close year.
I agree. Of course at a way lower level, but at my old job, we had an indoor gym and would play pickup games 3 days a week at lunch. Did that for several years. But I too would start with some 10' bank shots, then some FTs, then some a couple steps back, and then finally some 3's. Well actually first I would shoot the ball straight up and down, as high as I could under control and maintaining form.

Reactions: HagginHall1999
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT