ADVERTISEMENT

Bama DC

Knock on wood, since they appear on UK's 2023 schedule.....are we FINALLY seeing the Alabama decline?

Was never impressed with Rees at Notre Dame playcalling. Who's the QB? And sounds like he is hell bent on hiring Pruitt. So much so might make 3rd & Grantham the DC in name only. A puppet with Pruitt doing the real coordination in the shadows.
Bama QB will likely be a true soph out of TX named Milroe. Not the passer as some in their recent past but is one helluva runner, very fast.

Knock on wood, since they appear on UK's 2023 schedule.....are we FINALLY seeing the Alabama decline?

Was never impressed with Rees at Notre Dame playcalling. Who's the QB? And sounds like he is hell bent on hiring Pruitt. So much so might make 3rd & Grantham the DC in name only. A puppet with Pruitt doing the real coordination in the shadows.
ND was 60th in offense in 2021 and 20th in 2022. Said they would financially match AL's offer so maybe he doesn't go.

2 things there, Grantham is a hothead and not sure he would last long under that condition and he thinks he knows more than anyone, including Saban. I hope they hire him as DC, Bama will become poor tacklers and confused on where to lone up.

Amazing they get the #1 recruiting class without either oc or dc.

What's really amazing is how poorly they have develope all that talent the last few years and kids are still listening. Considering how they recruit and how many they have to bring in the staff should be embarrassed. The S they signed from GA is a stud, AA potential. Hated missing on him. The RB, not so much, he has been on top programs his entire career, he isn't bad but I thought he was overrated and wasn't too upset about him.

Reactions: The-Hack
Bama is not iron clad starting out the season. Talk is going around that three true frosh could start. The 5 star running back, the 5 star safety and the 5 star OT they snagged from Iowa. For us Wilcox should play a lot in the RB position and Brown at WR. Palmer could play some at WR also because of all the guys that left. Stuart and Anglin should be really good safeties but we are pretty loaded back there with talent and experience. Anderson is coming in early wanting to play at TE but will be behind Bates, Dingle, Kattus and maybe Cummings if he doesn't play WR.

Bama is not iron clad starting out the season. Talk is going around that three true frosh could start. The 5 star running back, the 5 star safety and the 5 star OT they snagged from Iowa. For us Wilcox should play a lot in the RB position and Brown at WR. Palmer could play some at WR also because of all the guys that left. Stuart and Anglin should be really good safeties but we are pretty loaded back there with talent and experience. Anderson is coming in early wanting to play at TE but will be behind Bates, Dingle, Kattus and maybe Cummings if he doesn't play WR.

The S is a stud, could play WR just as easy. The RB was a good HS back, but not in Chubb's league as a HSer, that is the only comparison I could think of who people would recognize. Don't know anything about the OT, other than going by recent history he is as good as he is going to be.

Just reported that Rees has accepted AL's offer. ND fans freaking out worrying that Hartman might go with him.

Last edited:
Good lord, how many more times is he going to be recycled thru the SEC???

Thats just a name that has popped up the last couple days. Some are claiming its a front for Pruitt if he gets a show cause, if that happens i guess their plan is to hire him as an analysis and everything goes through him to Steel. But the fans want Pruitt first over everyone else. I guess 2nd on their list would be one of Schuman/Muschamp, our co DCs. Shumann is a Bama alumni, but Kirby gave him is first on field job, Muschamp's son is on UGA's team, he has about 25m of carolina and UF money and appears much calmer working with Kirby. I know we will lose Schumann one day, he is a great LB coach and DC and is an elite recruiter, I just hope its out of conference.

But either way, Saban has been able to make a phone call and get his guy in the past, that hasn't been the case this go around. The OC was 3-4 names down the list and the DC title has been associated with half a dozen names.

Really weird the Wisconsin guy Leonhard hasn't been mentioned anywhere that I've heard. 4 months ago everyone assumed he would be promoted to permanent HC. Previously he had turned down NFL defensive coordinator jobs.

It's been an odd search. Bama fans thought Saban could get anyone he wanted with a phone call for both coordinator positions. Was at least 4 before he got an OC, and he is way down the list for a DC. Another name was mentioned today, was Bama DB back coach a couple years ago and in the NFL now. But the fans all want Pruitt, and think every name mentioned would just be the mouth piece for Pruitt who would be an analysis.

It's been an odd search. Bama fans thought Saban could get anyone he wanted with a phone call for both coordinator positions. Was at least 4 before he got an OC, and he is way down the list for a DC. Another name was mentioned today, was Bama DB back coach a couple years ago and in the NFL now. But the fans all want Pruitt, and think every name mentioned would just be the mouth piece for Pruitt who would be an analysis.
Re ex-Bama DB coach...you talking Derrick Ansley? Saban hired him away from UK. While showing promise early in his career as a recruiter, actually became a lazy recruiter toward the end of his Bama tenure.

Re ex-Bama DB coach...you talking Derrick Ansley? Saban hired him away from UK. While showing promise early in his career as a recruiter, actually became a lazy recruiter toward the end of his Bama tenure.

No wasn't him, another one, mostly likely Ansleys replacement

Reactions: mrschwump
Steele's defense last season was 10th in the ACC allowing about 27 a game. Read a lot of comments from AL and Grumpy is right, they are irate.

Despite what he says, despite the '23 recruiting class, I think the coaching profession feels Saban is about done. If not already backsliding. That's why he had to settle for Plan C or D hires as his coordinators.

Offensive guys looked at that roster and ask "who's my quarterback? Where are the skill playmakers?" Defensive guys see that 5 yrs there did nothing to improve Pete Goldings career.

Reactions: bigblueinsanity
Even the OC, they are kind of leery with him being young and hoping the most talent in the country will raise his coaching up some. Former player Tim Brown said could be a good thing for ND that he is gone. He said that Rees could not dissect a defense and their offense was very predictable. Said he relied on Kelly a lot to help him and that they basically played 'hero' ball a lot. Just throwing the ball where they might have an advantage athletically and hope their guy could make a play.

Last edited:
Steele's defense last season was 10th in the ACC allowing about 27 a game. Read a lot of comments from AL and Grumpy is right, they are irate.

Just from reading their sites Steele was way down the list. When Golding left. Bama fans thought anyone they wanted was a phone call away, but Steel was no higher than 5. He will do pretty well against teams like UGA and UK who aren't pushing tempo, but I think teams running tempo will toast them.

I don't know about Tommy Rees as OC...

1. Brian Kelly was the defacto OC before he left Notre Dame
2. Rees last year as the offensive coordinator....Notre Dame was 43 in scoring offense...and in a terrible ACC conference to play defense....not sure that is a great thing

Notre Dame started last year awful on offense with 10 pts vs. Ohio St and then lost to Marshall with a terrible offensive game. They did get better towards the end of the year but not amazing offense to get the nod at Bama. Feels like Bama is slipping to me.

I don't know about Tommy Rees as OC...

1. Brian Kelly was the defacto OC before he left Notre Dame
2. Rees last year as the offensive coordinator....Notre Dame was 43 in scoring offense...and in a terrible ACC conference to play defense....not sure that is a great thing

Notre Dame started last year awful on offense with 10 pts vs. Ohio St and then lost to Marshall with a terrible offensive game. They did get better towards the end of the year but not amazing offense to get the nod at Bama. Feels like Bama is slipping to me.
Had read about Rees and his O prior to last year but found it to be very ordinary. They did change QBs after 3-4 games and played better, that QB has since transferred out(Ariz St).

These Bama hires really are head scratchers but they have a lot of talent on the roster. Rees we've discussed, Steele was a top DC at one time but has since lived on his rep and his Ds the last decade have not lived up to his rep. As Grumpy said, think Saban really wants Pruitt but his TN sins are following him. Should come as no surprise that Pruitt will have his balls busted while TN skates, they're Teflon.

Josh Pate's said it best on his show about how crazy these 2 hires are.....Rees is 30 yrs old, Steele has been coaching 39 yrs. That's not good complimentary staffing!

Some Bama folks are defending the hire of Rees, that with better talent would produce better offenses. Duh!!! Probably 100 or 200 other college OC or QB/WR/O line coaches who would say the same!! "Yes please, let me call plays using Bamas roster of nothing but 5,stars, watch me turn the scoreboard into a slot machine!!!".

The hire of Steele...either Pruitt will be the wizard behind the curtain. Or they are developing the young DC they hired away from Southern Miss for 2 yrs. Again as I said, does anybody think Nick Saban is young enough to be planning for his DC in 3 yrs?

Josh Pate's said it best on his show about how crazy these 2 hires are.....Rees is 30 yrs old, Steele has been coaching 39 yrs. That's not good complimentary staffing!

Some Bama folks are defending the hire of Rees, that with better talent would produce better offenses. Duh!!! Probably 100 or 200 other college OC or QB/WR/O line coaches who would say the same!! "Yes please, let me call plays using Bamas roster of nothing but 5,stars, watch me turn the scoreboard into a slot machine!!!".

The hire of Steele...either Pruitt will be the wizard behind the curtain. Or they are developing the young DC they hired away from Southern Miss for 2 yrs. Again as I said, does anybody think Nick Saban is young enough to be planning for his DC in 3 yrs?

Does Bama have better talent? The last couple years they have relied on the portal for their playmaker, in spite of recruiting top 3 classes every year. That staff has done the worse job of development in the conference. Without Bryce they were at least a 4 loss team in 22. I guess the coordinators could have been a problem but the didn't coach every position.

Reactions: K_TIME
Does Bama have better talent? The last couple years they have relied on the portal for their playmaker, in spite of recruiting top 3 classes every year. That staff has done the worse job of development in the conference. Without Bryce they were at least a 4 loss team in 22. I guess the coordinators could have been a problem but the didn't coach every position.
Finebomb's show should be interesting today.

Hahaha, guess my dc questions, the answer was #1.

Pruitt will be DC in the shadows, pulling the strings, Steele just putting his name on the title & collecting some paychecks till he hits Alabama state employee retirement payout.

ADVERTISEMENT